Mika To Test For Mclaren!!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pRo

Jason wrote:I also heard from somewhere saying that Mika tested the Mclaren car with full load of fuel, 1 single of tyres. :lol:
I saw the interview where he said it himself.

IIRC, he said he had plenty of fuel, but not necessarily full. And yes, only one set of tyres. He said there was no need to try and get a fast time, it wasn't what they were after. He only smiled when he was asked what were they after then.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Jason

Mika: "The car still does not have a scratch on it!" :lol:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Hondanisti

pRo wrote:
Jason wrote:I also heard from somewhere saying that Mika tested the Mclaren car with full load of fuel, 1 single of tyres. :lol:
I saw the interview where he said it himself.

IIRC, he said he had plenty of fuel, but not necessarily full. And yes, only one set of tyres. He said there was no need to try and get a fast time, it wasn't what they were after. He only smiled when he was asked what were they after then.

tah dah !:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55850

that rag autosport must be making things up huh ? :lol:

He used only one set of new tyres , saying he lacked 'confidence' to push on more sets, and said that the aim of the test was not to show how quick he still was, but to deliver vital feedback to the team.

"If the timesheet was upside down I would be happier!" he joked. "But it looks actually good. Yes, I mean after five years to come back in F1 and to go very hard, flat out, I think I would make mistakes. The risk would be damaging the car. That would first of all not look professional and I don't think I would learn anything then.

"I think it would be unfair for the people to expect that automatically after five years I could go maximum attack and bang in a time."

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38044

The 38-year-old Finn told autosport.com that he was satisfied with his performance after a 79-lap stint that marked his return to Formula 1 after five years away from the top level of the sport, and that it had left him eager for more....

"Maybe with the fuel level down to a minimum, maybe then we could get down to a good lap time," he said.

"But that was not the intention.

"The plan was to run the same fuel level all the time, which are high enough to work on the race configuration.

"Maybe if we had a new set of tyres then maybe the lap time could have been 1.2 to two seconds faster. That (lap times) was not the issue."
Hungaroring 2006: Honda Stopped Dreaming & Got On With It!

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

Hondanisti

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55851

Q. What was the car like? Was it neutral or oversteering?

MH: Basically with the Bridgestone characteristics they are understeery generally, compared to last year where it was more pointy on the entry, oversteery in the exit and a bit of understeer in mid-corner. So if that is the case then obviously those things are big issues. I started off with Pedro de la Rosa's set-up this morning and modified it quite a lot. Then again, these are very early stages.

I don't mean to say Pedro's set-up was not good. I don't think that is fair to say. But the most important thing for me was to get more laps and speed. But obviously there were lots of things on the track today when we were working in certain areas to make the car behave like my driving style. But the time was a bit short. We will share the thoughts, so that the team can improve for next time.

Q. How are the tyres?

MH: I was positively impressed. Certainly I heard the rumours and the discussion in F1 about how the cars were going to be changed by the new tyres. But actually it was quite nice compared with Michelin. They don't seem to have a negative effect. Obviously they were on Michelins, so it was difficult to say, but in general everybody was quite happy about it and how they behaved.

This is the very first test, so it is still early days. A lot of adjustment has to be made to get the best out of the car, and this compound may be the one we are going to use in Barcelona. I don't know.

So here's an idea to throw out for your thoughts:

Do you think Mika's driving style is closer to Alonso's or Hamilton's ?

Obviously it's not like Pedro's.

You have to wonder if he's an Alonso prequel substitute to help interpolate the setup closer towards Alonso's style and really help them zone in on the sweet spot.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type ... O_ID=36713

Ron also told us that McLaren had bent over backwards to accommodate Montoya, and had made five different front suspension layouts for him at massive expense to improve his feel for the car over the last few years.

But Ron also admitted that McLaren have to take some of the blame for failing to get the best out of the Colombian.

how many sets of front suspensions will it take McLaren to get it right for Alonso at great expense to the team before he's happy with the feel of the MP4/22 ?

Maybe Mika helped there ?
Hungaroring 2006: Honda Stopped Dreaming & Got On With It!

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

pRo

Hondanisti wrote:
pRo wrote:
Jason wrote:1 single of tyres
only one set of tyres
that rag autosport must be making things up huh ? :lol:
one set of new tyres
Huh right back at you. ;)

Didn't we both just say that? Or what was your point?
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you