Universities

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tom

Good news on the uni front.

Thanks to the great efforts of Caroline Hudson and staff I'm off to Oxford Brookes University on Monday to start my Motorsport Technology BSci degree. I hope to advance to Motorsport Engineering BEng after a couple of years if I can get all the grades.

Its a huge step towards working in the industry, although F1 isn't my aim (too political). I'd love to get into an LMP1 team after my course, those cars are gorgeouse.

NDR008: I got an offer from Bristol but I heard some bad reports on them, they sent me alot of promising information but there were alot of snags and in the end the lack of FSAE put me off them completely. However if you're happy then I wish you the best of luck.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Tp
Tp

Haven't you still got another year of college / sixth form left?

Well done anyway

mahesh248

[quote="Tom"]Good news on the uni front.

Thanks to the great efforts of Caroline Hudson and staff I'm off to Oxford Brookes University on Monday to start my Motorsport Technology BSci degree. I hope to advance to Motorsport Engineering BEng after a couple of years if I can get all the grades.

Its a huge step towards working in the industry, although F1 isn't my aim (too political). I'd love to get into an LMP1 team after my course, those cars are gorgeouse.

NDR008: I got an offer from Bristol but I heard some bad reports on them, they sent me alot of promising information but there were alot of snags and in the end the lack of FSAE put me off them completely. However if you're happy then I wish you the best of luck.[/quote]

Hey can u let me know abt the masters course in the Motorsports technology , M doing my Bachelors in mechanical engineering was looking forward on race technology .

kurtiejjj

Good luck I wish, I had a technical school background, the only way I will get into motorsports is on the bussiness side of the sport :?, marketing, PR etc well hopefully I'll end up in f1 some day. I could become a humble parttime mechanic though as well.

Carlos

Congratulations Tom, well done. I am sure you will return Caroline Hudson's kind assistance through the years as an outstanding ambassador for Oxford Brookes University in your future career.

kurtjjj-If memory serves me correctly; Graham Hill began his career as a humble mechanic and went on to win 2 F1 Championships and is the only man to win the Triple Crown of Motorsport - WDC, Indy500 and Le Mans - aim high. There's hope for us all. :wink:

Tom

Thanks all, Freshers week so far has been alot of fun, I even managed to have a conversation about Hamilton and Alonso without everybody in the room letting out a deep groan!

I'm told that the Motorsport Engineering course I originaly applied for is very hard and this course is far easier by comparison, but still alot of work.
Anyone interested in coming into motorsport this way doesn't need any background in engineering as there are foundation engineering courses you can take and build up to MEng or even higher.

Today I joined the OUMF club, which rebuilds and restores old alfas, although I was overjoyed to find they're considering restoring and entering a 2CV in the 24hr of Snetteton race at some point!!! I also joined Formua Brookes club which runs autotests and karting events, I don't know if I can afford to enter too many of those though.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote: I was overjoyed to find they're considering restoring and entering a 2CV in the 24hr of Snetteton race at some point!!!
You must like making lots of work for yourself mate. :D Seriously though, I was at the last one briefly because we had two historic '82 Van Diemens entered in a different race. Some of the 2cv's there were in a bad way, and some teams had whole gearboxes and all sorts of bits of pieces hanging around ready to throw on when the old bits went bang. Some teams looked better prepared than others so as long as you are well prepared enough you might get a good result. Would be great experience for you all too I would imagine.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Spencifer_Murphy

Congrats Tom, and one word of advice. Enjoy Freshers week while you can! :lol:

Seriously though there's a helluva lot of time spent in lectures when doing an Engineering course, my best mate is doing a business course, has no full days, my girlfirend is doing an english literature course, and has only 2half days, and one full day per week.

I on the other hand have 9-5 solid lectures for pretty much everyday. Its a hard but very interesting course and the laboratory and practical work is definately a major plus point. So its not all bad!

Oh and good luck! :D
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

mx_tifoso

Hey Tom,

Have you started to feel the effects of the infamous "Freshman 15"* yet?

Good luck with your studies, and everything else as well. You seem like a really brite young man and I don't doubt you have the motivation to succeed.

*A supposed effect on all college freshman students, that during that first year they gain about 15 lbs. Just a college myth though. Although here in America it is very true, even for people not in college! Not me though, I actually work out and try to stay active as possible while going to school and working part time.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Tp
Tp

I have to do an exam in my freshers week

:evil: :evil: Thanks alot arseholes

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote: Freshers week so far has been alot of fun, I even managed to have a conversation about Hamilton and Alonso !
Sod all that, you got laid yet or what?
-Henry Ford-

Spencifer_Murphy

LMAO!!! Russ, as simple as that comment was...it made me fall off my chair laughing...simply wasn't expecting it.

It's my first day back @ uni 2day, currently waiting for my next lecture...from 5-7pm. Bugger. :evil:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

freedom_honda

congradulation Tom
i wish i could be same as u when i finish high school..

just wondering are you like a top student in Physics and maths??
what are the requirements to get into a uni like that cause i am really thinking of studying aerodynamics in Uni.

once again..congradulation Tom..
Hope you will still remember us if u get into the sport and bring us some inside news. :P

by the way.. can any1 explain to me wat r those M.Eng B.Eng??

Last edited by freedom_honda on 26 Sep 2007, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

I'm no great student at either maths or physics, I took Physics as a crash higher (straight into A level missing out GCSEs or Standard Grades) and only managed a C in my exams, while Maths took 2 years to achieve another C. However the univercity recognised that exams weren't everything and gave me a place nyway. After 2 lectures I'm finding both the maths and physics pretty easy, but I've no doubt they'll get much harder.

The requirements for this uni were 3Bs at Higher for the Engineering course, I've no idea for te Tech course.

BSci stands for Bachelor Degree in Science, MEng stands for Masters Degree in Engineering, but obviously there are many variations. As far as I know the order is; Honors (HND), Bachelor then Masters, then Doctorate is the highest.

I don't plan to go to F1, I'm far more interested in LMS because the cars are so much cooler. But I'll keep you updated with any tech stuff I'm allowed to reveal.

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote: I don't plan to go to F1, I'm far more interested in LMS because the cars are so much cooler. But I'll keep you updated with any tech stuff I'm allowed to reveal.
You'll love being on the inside. It's a lot of fun being in the know and trying to circumnavigate the rules! :D
-Henry Ford-