Bridgestone advantage... real or imagined?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zac510

Ray wrote:Excuse me for possibly sounding horribly stupid, but why is that tire red? Am I missing something? I hate to ask such a possibly stupid question. But I'm confused.
Marketing.

Reca

Ray wrote: Excuse me for possibly sounding horribly stupid, but why is that tire red? Am I missing something? I hate to ask such a possibly stupid question. But I'm confused.
The pictures were taken in 2004, possibly in Barcelona but I’m not sure about the track.
Bridgestone carried a tyre made in their brand colour (that happens to be red) meant to be the showcase of the potential technology and all the teams equipped at the time with the Japanese tyres made several pictures with it, mounted on the car, mimicking pit stops or simply with the drivers; if you do a search in the archives of sites like F1racing.net or similar you shouldn’t have much troubles to find plenty of them.
I don’t exclude they did it also because previously, I don’t remember if the previous winter or the one before, there were suggestions from Michelin camp, widely reported by press, about the intention to introduce coloured tyres, thing they never did. Maybe Bridgestone just wanted to show they could do it too. Nevertheless it was exclusively an advertising exercise. Quite pointless too if you ask me.