the world most challenging corners???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
allan

u know what tom? i think that spa represents a whole bunch of the most chanllenging corners in the world.... every corner at this circuit is a challenge itself... amazing!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Ray

The most challenging corner in the world you ask? The one down by my neighborhood pool! That thing is almost impossible to get right! But it may be my driving.

Jason

Shame you all, you all forgotten someone. 8)
The Nordschleife!!!!!!!! :lol:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

RH1300S

Jason wrote:Shame you all, you all forgotten someone. 8)
The Nordschleife!!!!!!!! :lol:
Shame you didn't read all the posts ;)
RH1300S wrote:How about Planztgarten II at the Nordschleife (in fact most of the corners here compared to modern circuits) - tricky double left cambered approach - very fast left over a crest where the track drops away and you fly some - you need perfect line and big balls here. Otherwise goodbye dear world.

Reca

I remember a quote from Jean Alesi that was reported on Autosprint a few years ago in an article about the most challenging corners.
Many drivers elected Eau Rouge at Spa but Alesi said that it is in his opinion the most overrated corner of the calendar because it’s actually not as challenging as people like to make it to be. In fact, he explained, due to the sudden change of slope, in the moment you have to make the change of direction and pick the line for the uphill part you get a lot of grip from inertial forces, and the car is glued to the track.
AeroGT3 wrote: The corkscrew at Laguna Seca, in California. I've driven it, and it's a bitch for sure :D
That introduces IMO a very important distinction : difficult vs spectacular.
Not always, but quite often it happens that what looks like tremendously difficult is actually not much a challenge and just spectacular, while what looks ordinary can be awfully difficult.

Once in a Italian tv program about motorsport there were different people, drivers included, discussing, as often happened in the last years, the argument of spectacle and they talked about difficulty of tracks.
One of the drivers was Dindo Capello and he used exactly the corkscrew as example.
He said that the first time he went to Laguna Seca he didn’t know the track but obviously had heard many people talking about the corkscrew and was looking forward to the challenge it was. But then, after just few laps, he discovered that the corkscrew is actually a pretty easy corner; easy in the sense that the difference between doing it right and doing it quite bad (for a professional driver which obviously doesn’t correspond to the quite bad of a “normal” casual driver), doesn’t have a big impact in the laptime, 1 tenth at max, and if you don’t have other cars around you so you can focus on the corner, it’s pretty simple to make it right.
On the contrary he said that there are a couple of fast corners that apparently are nothing special and certainly not spectacular as the corkscrew, but are actually lot more challenging because even when you know them well it’s simple to make a little mistake in the line, absolutely invisible from outside/tv and just barely perceptible from the car, and that little mistake can easily cost 3-4 tenths, almost without noticing it.

DaveKillens

Challenging? The kind of corner that can easily be done wrong, if the driver isn't 100% spot on. The old Bus Stop at Spa, it was such a bitch they decided to change it. Not fun or rewarding, but definitely challenging.
Other noteworthy corners? Planztgarten II at the 'Ring. Turn 2 and Moss Corner at Mosport. The old Tamburello at Imola, we all know why. :cry: The first chicane at Monza. Turn 8 at Turkey.

Tom

There's a corner at Castle Oer, my local rally stage, no name, no number, just an ordianary corner, till you get about half way round.
It used to be part of the British Rally Championship, now it's run as part of the 'National' class rally here, unfortunetly the stage ended 200 meters short of this corner but I hear the drivers still often crashed there.

In July last year we went to see the British Off Road Championship event on the stage which included this corner although with a little off-road section just before to slow the cars down. The first few cars however couldn't handle the off road section so it was cut out and the cars continued to reach nearly 100mph on the nearly straight downhill part just before the blind corner (affectionatly known as 'ditch' because that's the last thing a driver sees). We had chosen to spectate there because we could see the cars coming from a long way off but stayed after 2 of the first 5 had rolled spectacularely.
The next year I brought my camera.

Image This is the corner, it is completely blind and competitors must brake from around 90mph before little crest to take the off-camber corner at less than 50mph. I'm sitting on the inside here and this guy took it perfectly.

ImageThis next guy game in a little too hot and followed the wheel tracks of a previouse car who had just managed to save it. The extra speed however sent him straddling the ditch for several meters before pulling it back onto the road and ripping the wheel up with him.

Image This was a huge accident, the driver didn't see behind the crest here and came flying into the corner at about 60mph. He stood no chance of making it round and fired straight over the ditch and into a bank on the other side. His co-driver was fine but he had a possible broken arm, anyway I think he'll remember that corner for a long time to come.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

West

I always thought Spoon Curve was a difficult corner.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

yin
yin

West wrote:I always thought Spoon Curve was a difficult corner.
you mean suzuka????

Jason

Did someone ever mentioned Ostkurve? The corner was probably most famous for the punch up between Eliseo Salazar and Nelson Piquet in 1982. But the chicane built after Patrick Depailler's death really f***ed up the corner. As well as Nordkurve, I can't forget the 1994 pile up in Hockenheim. And Kimi's 2003 bang and 2004 rear wing failure, all occurred at Nordkurve.

And who can forget La Source? Button collided with Trulli in 2000, Schumahcer got hit by Sato in 2005.(I start laughing wildly when Schumi got out of his car)

zenvision

For me its the Parabolica. JV used to say that its the most difficult corner because if you do it wrong you would have lost time for 2 laps.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Steven
Owner

DaveKillens wrote:... The old Tamburello at Imola, we all know why. :cry: The first chicane at Monza. Turn 8 at Turkey.
Well I would not consider the former Tamburello corner a difficult one as it was flat out. It may be hard for the drivers' muscles but so is about every corner.

Turn 8 at Turkey idd, the Raidillon at Spa and Parabolica would be on top of my list I guess.

Jason

zenvision wrote:lost time for 2 laps.
not sure about that, but unless get into trouble by driving into the gravel trap lol. It should cost you about a few seconds(4-5)to correct it. But after seeing Michael's spin in 2005, I realised the gravel trap was quite deep.(judging when he went off the tarmac)

Sawtooth-spike

Jason wrote:
zenvision wrote:lost time for 2 laps.
not sure about that, but unless get into trouble by driving into the gravel trap lol. It should cost you about a few seconds(4-5)to correct it. But after seeing Michael's spin in 2005, I realised the gravel trap was quite deep.(judging when he went off the tarmac)
you lose time on 2 laps because you lose time as you exit the corner onto the pits straight on your first lap, on the second lap your not carrying as much speed down the pit straight into the first corner so your first sector is slower.

As a wise man once said, the speed you enter the corner is alot less important compared to the speed you exit with, because the speed your exit with is carried into the straight
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Ray

Another saying is slow in, fast out. So JV was saying if you overcook the first part, you'll screw up the second on the way to your second lap.