Top 50 drivers (of all time)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1.redbaron

Top 50 drivers (of all time)

According to the January's issue of F1Racing, these are your top 50 drivers of all time:

1. Ayrton Senna
2. Michael Schumacher
3. Jim Clark
4. Nigel Mansell
5. Ronnie Peterson
6. Juan Manuel Fangio
7. Mika Häkkinen
8. Fernando Alonso
9. Jackie Stewart
10. Jochen Rindt
11. Gilles Villeneuve
12. Stirling Moss
13. Kimi Räikkönen
14. Alain Prost
15. Nelson Piquet
16. Alberto Ascari
17. Emerson Fittipaldi
18. Niki Lauda
19. Stefan Bellof
20. Keke Rosberg
21. James Hunt
22. Alan Jones
23. Francois Cevert
24. Chris Amon
25. J. P. Montoya
26. Jacky Ickx
27. Mario Andretti
28. Carlos Reutemann
29. Tom Pryce
30. Jody Scheckter
31. Damon Hill
32. Jack Brabham
33. Giuseppe Farina
34. Hans – Joachim Stuck
35. Carlos Pace
36. Tony Brooks
37. John Surtees
38. Johnny Servoz-Gavin
39. Gerhard Berger
40. Jo Siffert
41. Didier Pironi
42. Jarno Trulli
43. Mark Webber
44. René Arnoux
45. Jean Alesi
46. Dan Gurney
47. Ricardo Patrese
48. Jean-Pierre Jarier
49. Jenson Button
50. Tony Brise

Comments? Angry Comments?

I, personally, don't agree with 1 & 2 (let's not get into the argument over this, just accept it as my opinion), I don't agree with Hakkinen or Raikkonen (as much as I like them) being ahead of Prost, and I don't think that Alonso should be that high!

Sawtooth-spike

16. Alberto Ascari

He should so be in the top 10, He was kickin Fangios butt all day long, till he died.

Why is webber above Button? last time i checked Button has done alot better (to date) than webber.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Tom

Where's Wolfgang Von Trips? He nearly won the championship in 1964 I think it was. And why is Lauda so low? I completely agree re the top 2, Ascari and Prost, and after all Stewart did he should surely be much higher.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Kimi ahead of Alain Prost? Give me a break, please, this is more a popularity contest than pure objectivism.

RH1300S
RH1300S

That list wasn't the Top 50 drivers, but the list of F1's quickest drivers.

They used rational measures as well as subjective (like comparing a driver the car's potential versus his team mate).

Me; I was pleased to see Mansell so far up the list. I have to agree with putting Senna at the top and I would agree the MS should be right up there too along with Clark.

So........not the BEST F1 drivers, purely a quick list - otherwise there would be plenty of differences (like Prost being a LOT higher up).

EDIT: I was sort of surprised to see JYS so far up; without doubt he was very very quick - perhaps because he achieved so much else it's easy to miss his speed too.

Tp
Tp

DaveKillens wrote:Kimi ahead of Alain Prost? Give me a break, please, this is more a popularity contest than pure objectivism.
They justified his position by saying, Prost "Never looked quick, which puts him lower than expected"
Why is webber above Button? last time i checked Button has done alot better (to date) than webber.

"In the absence of a competitive chassis to expose his talent properly, qualifying pig-dogs outrageously high has become Webber's trademark - and the biggest clue to the natural speed // It isn't just the grid positions that's impressive but his merciless demolition of team mates."

wazojugs

what about mr monaco - graham hill, he did much better than his son

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

It probably has as much value as a beauty contest... :twisted: :lol:
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

zenvision

Not even a mention for Jaques, a world champion for christ sake! What a laughable "poll". Mansell 4th and Gilles 11th, oh please!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Figlio_del_Diavolo

Tom wrote:Where's Wolfgang Von Trips? He nearly won the championship in 1964 I think it was.
He was killed at Monza in 1961 while in a Championship battle with fellow Ferrari driver and '61 World Champ, Phil Hill. Von Trips would have won with a 3rd place finish, but his Ferrari collided with Jim Clark's Lotus. His car became airborne and crashed into a side barrier, fatally throwing him from the car, and killing fifteen spectators.

On a side note here is an interesting tidbit of info I found while double checking myself: In the year of his accident, von Trips established a go-kart race track in Kerpen, Germany. The track was later leased by Rolf Schumacher, whose son Michael made his first laps there.

It's all his fault guys (and gals). :wink:
"Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better." - Hunter S. Thompson

Tom

Was it really as early as 1961? then that must mean Clark won his first champ in '63, I thought it wasn't till 65, my memory isn't what it used to be.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

waynes
waynes

that was actually the 50 "quickest" F1 drivers ever

can scan all the pages in if you like

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Figlio_del_Diavolo wrote:
Tom wrote:Where's Wolfgang Von Trips? He nearly won the championship in 1964 I think it was.
He was killed at Monza in 1961 while in a Championship battle with fellow Ferrari driver and '61 World Champ, Phil Hill. Von Trips would have won with a 3rd place finish, but his Ferrari collided with Jim Clark's Lotus. His car became airborne and crashed into a side barrier, fatally throwing him from the car, and killing fifteen spectators.

On a side note here is an interesting tidbit of info I found while double checking myself: In the year of his accident, von Trips established a go-kart race track in Kerpen, Germany. The track was later leased by Rolf Schumacher, whose son Michael made his first laps there.

It's all his fault guys (and gals). :wink:
I beleive we owe him much gratitude instead

Schumacer-Ferrari 1996-2006 =D>
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Jason

Jean Alesi shouldn't be ranked that low. And why is Michael ranked in 2nd? He should ranked 25th in my opinion. If its for speed: Patrese is not slow, but didn't had the equipment he needed to extract the talent inside him out. Despite Williams dominated in 1992, but he had to play second fiddle to Mansell(not sure about that).
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

ketanpaul

I got the issue yesterday and although most of the list is fine, I just couldnt grab Alonso 7 places ahead of Kimi. Kimi is undoubtedly in the same league as Mika Hakkinen cause one should remember all they are looking at is how quick the driver is and not the results etc. I really dont think Alonso can ever match the pace of Kimi or even Mika in the same car. He would be better place around no. 14 along Nelson Piquet. :lol: :lol: