Top 50 drivers (of all time)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RH1300S

:D A list like this will always bring dissent. Some surprised me - Gilles being so far down for one.

No question about the Patrese/Mansell split 'though. Nige destroyed him - nothing to do with team orders. Mr Mansell is very very fast, perhaps not an artist, but uniquely suited to the cars he excelled in - cars that needed serious big balls and something of a blunt approach.

Likewise I am surprised that Kimi is so far down.

But, if you take places 20 - 3 (say) - most of them could change order without too much distress. The top three I would say are very hard to disagree with. People will like to think that Michael should not be there, but (to me) the is no doubt he is just about as fast as anyone who has ever sat in an F1 car.

Where's Nuvolari? ;)

Tom

It does say top 50 driver of all time but Tazio isn't there, neither is Marcel Renault or any of the other pre-war greats. I think it means 'Top 50 F1 drivers of all time', seeing as the W/C was inaugurated in 1950.

Michael deserves to be there, just not so high up.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

3KGT

How can this list not include JV! He may have fallen off in recent years but he nearly won the WDC as a rookie and did so his second year. What other driver took pole in their first GP ever? This list is ridiculous, how can they include Jenson Button, winner of only one GP, and ignore the '97 World Champion? And how did JPM or Mark Webber get onto this list? It just does not make sense not to include JV.

Tom

Perfectly valid point, but remember Britain's official Formula 1 magazine is in all honesty a fashion magazine for people who aren't really sure which team Liuzzi drives for, but they like his haircut, saddly real fans do come across it and the result is 'F1 Racing' being ridiculed across the net.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.