the red lights

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Principessa

the red lights

Hi everyone,

This might be a stupid question, but I was thinking about it when I was stading in front of a red light with my car today. What happens when one of the drivers departs too fast so makes a false start?

scarbs

Sensors buried in the track detect the car moving before the lights go out, this tells the race director to penalise the driver.

DaveKillens

Under the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/ ... ATIONS.pdf rule 144 applies.
144. Either of the penalties under Article 54 a) or b) will be imposed for a false start judged using an FIA supplied transponder which must be fitted to the car as specified.
54 a) A drive through penalty
b) A ten second penalty

Venom

Re: the red lights

Principessa wrote:Hi everyone,

This might be a stupid question, but I was thinking about it when I was stading in front of a red light with my car today. What happens when one of the drivers departs too fast so makes a false start?
First of all, I hope YOU didn't do that today - :)

I think driver gets STOP-GO penalty. That's what I get when I jump-start in F1 challenge.
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Principessa

I didn't Venom :wink:

Thx for the answers guys!

Mikey_s

Just to add another word on this. A driver can avoid being penalised if the car is brought to a full stop again after a false start... but I cannot ever remember this happening (and i can imagine that this could cause a big pile up!).
Mike

Sawtooth-spike

Soooooo, If they are the only 2 peneltys does that mean, if u Went Really early say on the first light or even befor, you could make up enought time to counter act the drive through?

I turned it off on GP4, and black flags
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

DaveKillens

If the penalty is that blatant, could a driver deal with both a drive through and a loss of ten positions? He would have to start thirty seconds before the red lights went out. Then again, that would be a very serious safety issue, and worthy of a black flag.

Sawtooth-spike

i just think it would be funny, for them to pull upto the lights as the grid forms up, a then just go!

I would find it funny, even if nobody else does.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

pyry

i remember an occasion, sepang 2000 when hakkinen was in fourth. schumacher nudged forward before the light and mika instinctively did the same, but both stopped instantaneously, the when the lights did change hakkine took first but was penalised a drivethrough but schumacher didnt get punished. so there are both scenarios :D
four rings to rule them all