Ferrari 2007?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zenvision

Unhappy Stepney wants a sabbatical

Nigel StepneyFerrari's race and test technical manager Nigel Stepney wants to take a year's sabbatical from the team because he is currently unhappy there, this week's Autosport reveals.

Stepney, who has helped play a key role in establishing Ferrari's impressive reliability record since he joined in 1992, is dissatisfied with the staffing changes made at the team since the departure of technical director Ross Brawn.

With Brawn taking a year's sabbatical himself, former head of human resources Mario Almondo has been made technical director, with strategist Luca Baldisserri complementing him at events.

Speaking to Autosport, Stepney admitted he is unhappy within the current technical department.

"I am looking at spending a year away from Ferrari," Stepney told the magazine. "I'm not currently happy with the situation within the team - I really want to move forward with my career and that's something that's not happening right now.

"Ideally, I'd like to move into a new environment here at Ferrari - but if an opportunity arose with another team, I would definitely consider it."

It is suggested that any time off for Stepney could be tied to Brawn's sabbatical, with both potentially returning to the team in 2008.

Brawn is widely speculated to become team principal for the Italian marque next year, with Stepney perhaps taking a more senior technical role at that time.

-----

You could understand his frustration, but I think that he was working pretty well, so why change it? There aren't many better positions, and even in other teams there aren't many slots available I can think of. Maybe a small sweetener in the next pay cheque will do the job nicely :)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

ss_collins
ss_collins

the extra outlet in the rear

In the rear of the F20o7 at the base of the engine cover there is a extra outlet that outlet that has had many guessing. New pictures taken yesterday at Valencia by request of Racecar Engineering make the situation a little clearer, just inside the extra outlet there is a heat exchanger, which is likely to be a gearbox oil cooler. Its possible that the air to feed this cooler comes from the airbox inlet hance the need for the 'vane' in the airbox intake.
Hope this makes a little more sense.

zac510
zac510

Precisely what I proposed a few pages back :)

Sam, in the past they have had damper cooling too - it may do that job aswell.

wazojugs

After reading more websites and newspapers regarding ferrari personnel being unhappy with all the changes to the tecnhnical dept is really a smoke screen/ cover up for lulling people to believe that they have made a big design problem with the F2007.

I really can't believe that they have dropped the ball on this one with the aero regs staying the same!

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

It is rumoured that F2007 has a heating abduction problem at the rear and due to that Raikkonen had a technical problem yesterday in Valencia. Is that true?

zenvision

Raikkonen completed 112 laps today. Hardly signs of problems!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

zenvision wrote:Raikkonen completed 112 laps today. Hardly signs of problems!
However, Kimi Raikkonen, who was working on development of the F2007, had to end his day halfway through the afternoon because of a technical hitch.
(F1-live.com, 1/2/2007)

Mechanical problems halt Raikkonen

bhall
bhall

Here are some shots of the F2007 in full Marlboro livery. I think it looks really sharp.

FLC
FLC

That's not the F2007, its the F1 248... But the livery does look good :wink:

bhall
bhall

You're right; it isn't. I guess I was just too focused on the livery to notice.

Rob W

Didn't anyone tell Massa that you're supposed to drive in the other direction.. :P
bhallg2k wrote:Image
Rob W

allan
allan

Rob W wrote:Didn't anyone tell Massa that you're supposed to drive in the other direction.. :P
actually, he wasn't the only one.. if u look deeper into the pic, u can see that there is another car heading in the same direction.
in other words, the cars were going back&forth on that street :wink:

RH1300S
RH1300S

This week's Autosport confirms that the split intake on the airbox is for a separate duct to a gearbox oil cooler.

The drawing showings it piggyback on the engine inlet box.

manchild
manchild

manchild wrote:Posted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:07 pm
Perhaps their new gearbox requires big oil radiator?
\:D/

Sawtooth-spike

Guess there hole was not big enought on massa's
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!