Ferrari 2007?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
checkered

mx_tifosi wrote:Major aero updates planned for Japanese GP
I'll take a "wait'n'see" attitude. Might as well be mind games since before they've claimed that they'll be strong in the remaining tracks anyway. I mean, to what races don't the top teams do modifications to their wings? We've seen many examples of teams promising something and doing something different all season long, for more times than I care to count. By propabilities alone, the number of consecutive one-twos they need is extremely unlikely. The more statistically oriented here can perhaps point to instances like that ... I think Prost came back once (won't look it up) from roughly similar circumstances as where Raikkonen and Massa now find themselves to claim the WDC (taking into account the differences in points systems).

mx_tifoso

I understand your point, but I would doubt Ferrari will remain too conservative from now on, as they are in full pursuit of the CC.

And seeing how there are only 5 races left, and all circuits being somewhat compatible with the F2007, they should pull as many strings as possible in order to get whatever advantage over McLaren they can.

During this season we have seen a lot of modifications but very few serious changes though. Maybe what is left for "serious" development is going to be left for the last few races, as they will be very crucial to the championship contention.

Your "wait'n'see" attitude will be best for all of us too, as we really have no other choice.

I'm trying to be really optimistic! Please understand! :wink:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

allan

to be honest, when looking at the monza test times, it doesnt look that promising for the scuderia... Mclaren might pull away with the championship if they continue with that blistering pace!

modbaraban

mx_tifosi wrote:And seeing how there are only 5 races left, and all circuits being somewhat compatible with the F2007, they should pull as many strings as possible in order to get whatever advantage over McLaren they can.
Actually the mp4-22's pace in Monza suggests we'll have a 2 man battle :( they have 1 second margin over Sauber who are ahead of Ferrari :?

PS (edit): allan you were 1 second faster than me to point that out #-o

pRo

mx_tifosi wrote:only 5 races left

they should pull as many strings as possible

"serious" development is going to be left for the last few races
Way too often those words end up costing two championships. Current year and the next year too. :? I wonder if they really want to give their competitors an advantage on the first races of next season, again.

Have to agree with checkered though, it's mind games and Ferrari has always been good at it. They already said they are fast enough to take 1&2 in every remaining race. If they were, why would they need to do major upgrades? ;)

And on the same topic. Do you all think that the Monza test times are comparable? I bet Ferrari is hiding their true speed. On the last day Massa was slower than BMW and Sauber...can't see that happening on the race day.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

mx_tifoso

Tell me about it pRo, the beginning of last season and this one have not been so great for Ferrari, at least in terms of consistency. In '06 they gave Renault too much advantage during the first half, and this year they gave it to McLaren by not being as reliable as they usualy are.

Very sad happenings, but they happened none the less. They should have been avoided by whatever means possible in order to not be in the positions of '06 and now '07.

I don't know what happed with Ferrari, many things are just not adding up as in the past. For sure competition is a lot tougher than in previous seasons, but that should not be an excuse, for anyone!

If Ferrari pulls off a CC title this season it will be truly amazing, as they would come back from quite a deficit to McLaren.

Regarding testing in Monza this week, I'm willing to believe that Ferrari are sandbagging as usual. We all know Kimi doesnt dwell too much about his testing times, and Ferrari isn't one to show off in testing either. Testing is not about posting the fastest lap, it is about R&D, increasing reliability levels, and improving overall/specific performance.
Come race day we shall see who's who.

FLC
FLC

I actually think Ferrari deserves a lot more credit than that.

2005 was a disaster in every possible aspect. It started pretty bad with MS finishing the first third of the season with an average 5th and 3(!) DNF's. RB couldn't do a lot better and ended it with 2 DNF's and an average 7th. The next third was a little better with an average 4th for MS and 7th for RB (excluding the US results, ofcourse). The last third was again very bad with 3 DNF's for MS and average 7th and average 9th for RB.
Ferrari may have given up in 2005 at some point (Don't really remember when, but it was pretty late considering the results, maybe Turkey), but one must remember that the biggest problem was the tires, which in 2006 were a huge factor no less, maybe even greater, so the deficit in points in relation to Renault at the end of the NA tour was pretty understandable.

2007 wasn't supposed to be easy for Ferrari, at least in my view. Sure, they had the best car on the grid at the end of 2006, and they knew the Bridgestones very well, but the team has gone through a lot of changes at once. Maybe too many. 2 of its most valuable assets were gone and not only that, but after the great start in Australia they were already deep in the Stepney saga. The movable floor, which was prob. a good advantage was banned, and the team had to divert a lot of attention, money and time in order to get on top of this entire episode (Not to mention the wind tunnel problems and the possibility that Mclaren used some of the info it had). Nevertheless the recovery was pretty fast, and by the time they got back to Europe things looked a lot better. So all in all, I think they are doing pretty much OK.

As a fan I would have loved to see them doing better, especially in terms of reliability, which doesn't really have an excuse, but I think we should look at the entire picture. I am even convinced that we have a good team for years to come. They have proved themselves very useful in some really difficult times.

As for Monza, I think Ferrari will have some difficult time there, it's not going to be easy, and surely harder than Turkey. The Mclaren looks pretty good to me and it seems that it's gone through some serious work.
I personally don't remember Ferrari saying that their car is fast enough to win all the remaining races as is, but it's only obvious that in order to do so they must work hard and develop it to the end. Mclaren aren't going to stand still either.

They know well at Ferrari that it isn't going to be easy and acknowledged the threat on 2008:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61750

mx_tifoso

F2007 front wing detail at Monza.

mx_tifoso

I was looking up some info about previous Ferrari F1's since I read the "F2004" thread by 658. And I noticed the overall length similarities between the F2003-GA all the way to the current F2007, the similarities being that the lengh for all of them stays between 4,545mm and 4,544mm.

If that is the case, then why is the F2007 known for its supposed untraditional longer length :?: Or is it that the front and rear axles are spaced farther apart on the F2007 than on previous chassis :?:

Can someone please go more in depth about this? Maybe I am missing some key points or not seeing the real issue at hand, I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance, it would really be appreciated.

Sources:

:arrow: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari/fe ... r1049.html

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/873

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/889

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/900

:arrow: http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2 ... -F2007.htm

mx_tifoso

At the above question I made, ........never mind.

I guess I was going through a "not-so-smart" period earlier this morning.

Now I remember the actual difference, the F2007's wheelbase is 87mm longer than in the 248F1.

The overall length remained relatively the same from past chassis, but the wheelbase has increased for this specific chassis. For weight distribution and aero purposes IIRC.