Ferrari Launch

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Ferrari Launch

I was wondering if Reca or Scarbs are going to this event on sunday? No photographers are allowed to be present at the launch
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

johny

where did you find that? also there're rumours that they could make the event without the new car. But what it's sure we'll see the first shakedown on monday

GTO

I'm confused. What is the purpose of the launch on Sunday if no photos are allowed? It seemed strange to me that they selected Sunday. Is the shakedown on Monday photo restricted too?

mx_tifoso

If the launch on sunday doesnt feature an actual car, why would you want to take pictures? what would you take pictures of ? unless you're dying to see Kimi in his red Ferrari overalls

Scuderia Ferrari 2007 WCC
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

m3_lover

There are some suggestions, however, that the car itself will not actually be present at Sunday's official event, and that only official photographs will be presented to the assembled media.

Contrary to some reports that say the new Ferrari may not be 'ready' for the launch, though, it is understood that the car's possible absence on Sunday will be more to do with the Italian team wanting to control how much of the red single seater is able to be seen by the world's media and F1 rivals.

Photographers, for instance, have been banned for the Fiorano debut.

The car's official launch and test debut follows this week's traditional 'Vroom' event for Ferrari drivers and the media at the Italian ski resort Madonna di Campiglio.

It will be the first time Kimi Raikkonen will be seen in red gear, although the Finn is not expected to make his test debut in the new Ferrari until later this month.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

GTO

Well then what is the event on Sunday for? Is it just a party for Ferrari themselves.

a) Are the drivers not part of the race team? Or are the cars the only thing that interests you? I didn't realize that Luca, Jean, the new design engineers, designers, & the pit crew could win the championship by themselves.

b) Who are the new people on the design team that replaced Byrne & Brawn? Do you know what they look like?

c) If you cannot fly to Maranello to atttend, how can people see what was took place?

d) Ya, maybe I would like to see Kimi in red. What's your point?

Perhaps you are not really tifosi if you don't care.

Reca

m3_lover wrote: I was wondering if Reca or Scarbs are going to this event on sunday? No photographers are allowed to be present at the launch
To tell the truth Scarbs has infinitively more chances to be present at the launch than I have. I admit that in all these years I was always waiting near the phone for The Call from Luca Cordero di Montezemolo (that I familiarly call Luca Cordero di Montezemolo) to attend the event, but till now he always forgot...

Anyway, also last year there wasn’t a “real” launch (meaning the event in Maranello with unveiling of the car), there was just a press conference + photo sessions at Mugello, and that after the car was already on the track testing without livery since 10 days more or less.
This year probably they thought that, given the number of changes in the team, and given that the livery needs to be a bit different due to the new sponsor Telecom/Alice instead of Vodafone, it was opportune to “launch” team and livery even before the car’s shakedown so to have it on the track with the new livery already.
IMO it’s not really big deal, in fact even when there was a “real” launch as in pre-2006 years most of times the car wasn’t even functional but mostly a manikin often without most of aerodynamic parts so there was little to look at anyway. (that doesn’t mean that I didn’t spent hours looking at pictures but that’s a different matter...). It wasn’t unusual to have to wait a week if not more for the shakedown after the launch, so it makes little difference to have or not the car IMO.
I prefer by far a simple press conference possibly without car and only studio pictures but testing starting the following day instead of 10 days later. The date of the first test is also pretty much the same as last year, mid January, give or take one day.

Meanwhile, I just read the articles in the new issues of Italian magazines, Autosprint and Sportautomoto with rumours about the new car and I can reveal, exclusively for F1technical, the crucial details and all the car’s secrets.

According to Autosprint the new car will be quite different from the 248, slimmer, a bit taller and a bit longer with longer wheelbase. It should have a raised chassis forcing drivers to keep legs in an higher position and the front suspension should have the Renault like v-keel. The sidepods should be a bit smaller and slimmer in the rear end. Gearbox is seamless with twin clutch.

According to Sportautomoto the new car shouldn’t be much different from the 248. The front suspension should keep the single keel, although a bit smaller, the wheelbase shouldn’t change, and the radiators should be a bit bigger. Exhausts design is even more extreme and has been carefully studied to blow in an useful area and the sidepods should be almost completely closed as the hot air exhausts in the back. The gearbox is a seamless Weissmann like, with single clutch.

Then obviously there are the rumours I already reported in December (and that have been published again in newspapers few days ago) that the car will certainly adopt a no keel approach.

So, to summarize, similar to the 248 but very different, with single/v/no keel front suspension, a brand new gearbox with 1 or 2 clutches and sidepods a bit bigger but smaller than 248... can you imagine a more accurate description ?

scarbs

I won't be at the launch, I think its much more a driver roll out than a technical one.
Ferrari dont offer any tech interviews, so I've usually had to catch Ross Brawn or Paolo Martinelli in a corridor after for a few quick words, As both have departed I wont get that chance this year.

Predictions of new Ferraris are always wide of the mark, especially in the italian press, who feel they have to predict what it wil be like, even running illegal double clutch systems according to Autosprint. I even mistook a design feature from under the red silk cover at one launch, announced it to those near me and was proved wrong about ten mniutes later as the cover was pulled back. for some time my rule has been "No predictions"...!

Ferrari have stated the new seamless gearbox was a simpler system than originally tested. This made it more reliable and lighter.

Keel and sidepod layout? who knows. After a period of stability in design and staff may be a change is in the offing. But Steve Iley doesnt strike me as a radical innovator...

Scarbs

mx_tifoso

They finally have the seamless gear box, im dying to see the new car !!

mx_tifoso

So this is more so a Press Breifing than a Launch isnt it ? without a car it shouldnt really be called a Launch, so maybe we should call it a Press Breifing, IMO,
So when is the launch anways ? is it on Monday ? when Massa gets the first official drive at at Fiorano

zac510

If they served some food they could call it a Lunch.

mx_tifoso

I guess they could call it lunch, since it may be around mid-day or so, the Launch/Press Breifing

bhall

Reca wrote:So, to summarize, similar to the 248 but very different, with single/v/no keel front suspension, a brand new gearbox with 1 or 2 clutches and sidepods a bit bigger but smaller than 248
Funniest thing I've read in a while.

Reca

scarbs wrote: Predictions of new Ferraris are always wide of the mark, especially in the italian press, who feel they have to predict what it wil be like, even running illegal double clutch systems according to Autosprint.
Yep, and the most irritating thing of Italian press is that no matter how bad they were wrong the previous year, the following one they are again making predictions like they knew everything.
The other day before buying the magazines I was thinking “I doubt there will be predictions on the new car, they did little until now, it would be crazy to do it just 5-6 days before the launch”, and yet, both magazines had them and, as you see, completely different one from the other meaning that at least one of them, most likely them both, are making up things just to fill the page.
The only explanation I can think of is that apparently they consider the possibility to write an “as we already said before the launch” in case they luckily got something right as well worth the risk of being completely wrong.
bhallg2k wrote: Funniest thing I've read in a while.
Well, thanks but I can’t really take credit for that, I just reported what our beloved journalists wrote...