Ron Dennis F1's Machiavelli

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Ron Dennis F1's Machiavelli

Ron Dennis has banned McLaren's 2007 driver lineup from drinking alcohol.

Despite Ferrari-bound Kimi Raikkonen's supposed alcoholic indiscretions during his tenure in 2002-2006, the Woking based team's chairman suggested that the only sips taken by Lewis Hamilton or world champion Fernando that spanish foo this year should be champagne on the podium.

After his drivers trained with Olympic athletes in Finland, Dennis told the Mirror: "We don't see why drivers need to have even

one drink in the course of a season.
"

The irony of Dennis' stance, however, is that whiskey sponsor Johnnie Walker's McLaren-associated slogan for this year is: "Be a champion. Drink responsibly."
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

johny

if my boss says that... i'll find another job :lol: . Alonso doesn't drink alcohol so it won't be a problem for him, what about hamilton?

RACKITUP
RACKITUP

good

tomislavp4

I dont think that it´s good...
I mean he can say that they may not drink on the race weekend and test sesions but they have free time and they should spend it how they will, not how the boss said :evil:

Octavarium
Octavarium

I think it's a bit meddling to be honest, it's one thing to have a policy against illegal drugs or actual drinking problems, as thay are something that portrays a poor image of the team, not to mention both being serious problems even for people who don't need to keep themselves in top condition.

Saribro
Saribro

Ron Dennis is an idiot.
There, I've said it :p.

nudge
nudge

the fact he was expressing a personal oppinion dosnt mean it is something written into their contracts...frankly i very much doubt that it is

joseff

Why would Ron have any problem with drivers drinking? Not like it slows Kimi down at all.

Tennis, on the other hand...

Ciro Pabón

I don't drink but, why Dennis has to say that to the general public?

First, everybody start to guess who is drinking there.

Second, he does not have to say that to the drivers, either. Just one of that "big brother"clauses with once a month drug and alcohol testing is enough at most d*ick-headed companies. You can blame your lawyers or whatever.

Frankly, some englishmen are an enigma to me.
Ciro

Tom

Ron is a control freak, but I think he's onto something. Think about it, to drive these cars at top pace you have to be constantly on the ball and alert, thinking all the time. Nowadays the brain works as hard as the hands and feet, if your drivers are going out drinking they are loosing brain cells and that ability to react fast to a situation, not just when they're drunk but a fortnight later when they're going for pole.

I don't like the way he pronounced his plan, but you can't deny its a good plan to speed your team up.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

f1.redbaron

I wonder what will Johnny have to say about that...

RACKITUP
RACKITUP

Every single factor you can use to utilise to be the best, should be used.

If he [Ron] is paying 10mill+ to Alonso, he's has every right to dictate what his drivers do.

McLaren wouldn't be front runners if it wasn't for Ron's attention to detail and obsessive compulsive behaviour.

However, I wonder if he talked to J.Walker before his comments

manchild
manchild

Sponsorship from alcohol manufacturer is ok but if driver drinks is that's bad - pure hypocrisy.

sebbe
sebbe

I think it has something to do with the "He says, he says" situation with Kimi Räikkonen, calling Ron a control freak (which he is, it is Ron's call to be himself).
I don't think it is hypocresy to say "my drivers shouldn't drink alcohol". They have a very risky and demanding job, and they're well paid.
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

f1.redbaron

RACKITUP wrote: If he [Ron] is paying 10mill+ to Alonso, he's has every right to dictate what his drivers do.
mmm...disagree!

He is paying him that much money to drive (and do other McLaren related duties), not to own him 24/7.

I don't condone drinking, but I don't agree that a team boss should make public statements like that. If he really thinks that he is right, let him do it privately...and not give statements like that to the press.

Cheers
(oops, sorry Ron! ) :D