Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Testing

NEW CHICANE at CIRCUIT de CATALUNYA is finnished.

The fast last curve before the pitstraight is no more. A new chicane has been placed there now.

So testing next time at MONTMELÒ will be a bit diferent for everyone.

The reason for it, was said, to make the circuit layout safer

HONDA and RED BULL cars will be the very first to try out the new layout this week at MONTMELÒ.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

johny

here's a pic of the new layout

monkeyboy1976

why do they do this? I understand the need for safety but...
:roll: ](*,) #-o

West

There are other ways to make the track safer instead of butchering it. Even before the change, the cars had slow down for that final blast on the straight anyway.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Octavarium

This track hardly had much going for it to start with, at least it was fairly exciting for the drivers, why make such a horiffic change!? At least maybe this will increase the likelyhood of overtaking into Turn 1.

I don't know, why don't they give the drivers armbands at Monaco in case they crash into the harbour, or perhaps just not bother with the race at all, it would be far far safer for everyone!!!

The worst part about these changes is the effect they have for other series, that corner I guess *could* have been argued to have been dangerous for F1 (like any other 5th gear right hander mind...), but it will reduce the spectacle for other series' which don't have the cornering speeds of an F1 car.

zenvision

A bit off topic, but do asphalt run off areas enhance overtaking as they could take bigger risks?
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Tom

erm, no, they don't. Catalunya was such a bloody miserable circuit anyway, it had nothing going for it and no overtaking spots, just your average generic 'safe' race circuit, and modification can only be good.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

johny

I'm with you Tom, the change just can be better, yes we don't have a flatout turn anymore but i think that chicane will spice the track a little bit, just remember last years races

Ranald

The worst part about these changes is the effect they have for other series, that corner I guess *could* have been argued to have been dangerous for F1 (like any other 5th gear right hander mind...), but it will reduce the spectacle for other series' which don't have the cornering speeds of an F1 car.[/quote]

The original corner is still there and intact so other series can still run on the circuit without revisions.
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

waynes

are they confirmed to be using that layout for the Grand Prix?

that corner was safe enough and a bit of a challenge in my opinion

Ranald

The revised corner has been confirmed for use during F1 weekends and testing.
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

Venom

Looks good, however not sure if it will give overtaking opportunities since the pit-straight run will be much slower.

Laptime will be shortened by at lest 3+ seconds.
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

joseff

You mean *longer* by about 3 seconds.

Venom

joseff wrote:You mean *longer* by about 3 seconds.
lol. I just spotted that :oops: Yup, I meant longer! :)
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

bhall

Since this thread is about testing, I figured I should post this here.

From Autosport.com:

"[Mechanical difficulty]...was not Badoer's only incident of the day, as the Ferrari driver also spun off the track when trying to avoid Alonso as the Spaniard overtook him down the inside."

Sure looks like Alonso punted him off-track to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-nhAmywZ0&eurl=

It's good to see McLaren coping so well with Alonso's late turn-in.