Kinetic Energy Recovery System

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Kinetic Energy Recovery System

As the FIA will now allow KERS, there is an article I found relating to it.
I have not read it all but some of you may find it interesting....

http://www.evworld.com/syndicated/evwor ... e_1160.cfm

johny

it's worth reading it, i found it very interesting

Ian P.
Ian P.

OPR...???

Interesting article with some good insights.
Have difficulty with his "Organizational Performance Ratio". The collective IQ (presumeably the sum of all the member's IQs) devided by the average individual IQ should equal the number of individuals in the group.... ????

As for Energy Recovery.... I would expect the easiest way to introduce this in the current crop of F1 Designs, would be to trigger the onboard alternator, only under braking and then either store the "recovered" energy electrically in a battery (likely Ni-Fe or Li-Ion) or a compressed reservoir.
Getting the energy back is likely a greater challenge. The expectation for road-cars in the near future is an integrated starter-flywheel-alternator assembly that outputs on the order of 50 V. Possibly this could be utilized in an F1 engine but the flywheel effect would be too great a penalty considering the minimilistic flywheels currently used.
Regardless, this is going to be a HUGH challenge, cost the teams a bundle and if someone develops even a half-way effective solution, Max will ban it.... it can only make the cars faster, more costly and more complex.
Technical question.... do modern F1 cars have on-board alternators or do they rely on battery power for electronics and engine power (ignition, injection etc.....)
If they do have alternators for power, they are likely spinning all the time but there are methods to only trigger the electrical load when you want, eg. during breaking.
Can anyone provide any insight into this....??

Ian P.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."