How awful the 2007 calendar

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mika vs michael
mika vs michael

How awful the 2007 calendar

18 March Australia, Melbourne
08 April Malaysia, Sepang
15 April Bahrain, Sakhir
13 May Spain, Barcelona
27 May Monaco, Monte Carlo
10 June Canada, Montreal
17 June USA, Indianapolis
01 July France, Magny-Cours
08 July Great Britain, Silverstone
22 July Germany, Nürburgring
05 August Hungary, Hungaroring
26 August Turkey, Istanbul
09 September Italy, Monza
16 September Belgium, Spa Francorchamps
30 September Japan, Fuji
07 October China, Shanghai
21 October Brazil, Interlagos

Take a look...Between te first two races, from Australia to Malaysia, there is a 3-week gap...Then from the 3rd to the 4rh race (Bahrein to Barcelnona) there is a nearly month gap...

18 March Australia, Melbourne
08 April Malaysia, Sepang
15 April Bahrain, Sakhir
13 May Spain, Barcelona

They axed Imola and Hockenheim so that no country has more than one venues, but they haven't replaced them with another gp...

I'd like to see the Friday sessions axed from gp weekends so that we van have a 20-race season...
Last edited by mika vs michael on 03 Feb 2007, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Spyker MF1

Friday sessions axed?
Anyway getting rid of friday sessions would just mean slower cars and wouldn't affect how many gps they could run in a year. Also Bernie wouldn't like the idea as it would lose a bit of money from the people who just turn up on the Fridays.
Last edited by Spyker MF1 on 03 Feb 2007, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

johny

it's just his opinion we all have one and it may be different. The way to go will be reducing drastically testing and using fridays to test, dunno if it'll be succesfull but i like the concept

Spyker MF1

Sorry that sounded quite harsh it wasn't meant to be

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Spyker MF1 wrote:Sorry that sounded quite harsh it wasn't meant to be
No hard feelings...
We can keep Friday as a testing day and reduce testing not only during the season. It would be a nice idea to set a limit for preseason testing as well...

Ranald
Ranald

Sorry Mika vs Michael but most of what you have said simply isn't correct. You are absolutely correct about the large gap between Melbourne and Sepang this will be filled by a 3 day test at Sepang attended by nearly all the teams.
Hockenheim definately HASN'T been axed. It was entirely the decision of the circuit. Neither Hockenheim or the Nurgburgring can afford to run a GP every year so they will instead alternate the German GP between the 2 circuits each year. So Hockenheim will be back in 2008 in place of the 'Ring.
Imola was axed simply because the circuit would not be ready in time for the race. There have been significant changes to the circuit including layout and most importantly to the pit complex.
Regarding the lack of replacement races there is due to be an announcement at the Abu Dhabi F1 street parade of a deal to stage a UAE GP from 2009.
Last edited by Ranald on 03 Feb 2007, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

Tom

Personally I wish (in my current broke student state) that they would have more test if any, so the team could learn to exploit the rules more and I could see the cars for cheap.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Principessa

You also have the date of the first race wrong Mika vs Michael. The first Grand Prix will take place on 18 and not 8 March
( http://www.f1technical.net/articles/calendar.php )

Cancel Friday runnings would be just an idiotic idea in my opinion. Do you really believe that there would be more GP's when you axe the Friday practices? Especially as they now are considered as TEST opportunity. And what about the F1 fans? When I go to a GP I want to see action on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I pay enough to go to such event and than I want maximum running. Thanks to the new Friday format, I believe that we will see more running...it's a win-win situation for the teams, the spectators and of course Bernie and his wallet :wink:

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

I know that the first race is 18 March, I ate accidentally the first digit from 18 because I want the season to start sooner...

Well whatever the reasons I think that the races should be minimum 18...The test event in Malaysia is a compensation for the teams and useful to them but not for the fans...I think fans need more racing and less testing...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Spyker MF1

I think there should be more older circuits on the calander as the new ones are just bland. I also think Fridays should be shown on tv live and with highlights for when people get a back from work. Maybe a podcast thing by the FIA so we can see the whole of Friday and tests, it also would cost them little because they could get the same people doing the filming giving them a better chance to find the best spots on the circuit for filming

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Bernie wants 20 races...

"Currently we have five countries waiting to see if they can have a race on the calendar," Ecclestone told reporters in Abu Dhabi. "We're aiming for 20 races, but we're well served now in this part of the world with Abu Dhabi and Bahrain."
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Personally I would like a GP on the west coast side of the US, I'm not so fond of the Indianapolis track and location, its much too far from where I'm located, AND plus thats NASCAR and INDY LEAGUE territory,

And as well, the return of a GP in Mexico,

But none of these on an existing track, as i dont think an existing one would really suit F1, and no street circuits as well, as that would surely be the first thing to come to Ecclestone's mind,

And no more Middle Eastern races as well, thats getting boring much too soon

Scuderia Ferrari 2007 WCC
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Tom

I love street circuits, or at least road circuits. I propose a route I marked out round my nearby town of Moffat, basically it starts in the highstreet, its easily long and wide enough for start and pits. The drivers blast through Moffat and up the hill towards the Grey Mares Tail Waterfall and Resevoirs, up one side and down the particualarely trecharus and steep section which leaves your brakes smoking at 10mph, let alone F1 speeds, then passing several villages and around the infamous 'devils beef tub' stretching back into Moffat at around 130mph. It takes in some great Scottish scenery and the roads at their best (or worst depending how scary you like your driving) and its about 15mile, plus I don't have to travel all the way to Silverstone to see a GP. :D
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

johny

that reminds me driving in GPL around isle of man that's so insane

Jason

I think Nurburgring should axed instead of Hockenheim, I personally never liked the track. And bring back Suzuka!!! Fuji is totally lame. :?
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW