Trulli

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
allan

Trulli

it maybe a little bit too late to ask this question, but i've always been wondering about the reason behind trulli's sudden lack of pace.
I remember during the 2004 mid season, he looked as the brilliant star at renault, especially after winning the monaco gp. However, during the race at spa, and while running in first place, he suddenly slowed down, and people started passing him. The worst thing is, they've never stopped doing that untill now.
Now with toyota, we can see him way behind his team-mate, ralf, who by the way i consider one of the "expired" back runners :wink: . So, any ideas about this subject??

wazojugs

i think he simply has passed his sell by date in formula 1.

I for one wouldn't miss him and think that his seat should be taken by a younger racing driver. I also get fed up with commentators statement that he is a qualifying expert, maybe he is but he surely he is not a holding you place or gaining position expert.

PNSD

Lack of confidence imo, and lack of a feeling that he is needed.

Ie, Flavio loved Alonso, and showed it, and imo that hurt Trulli...

jbenum

IIRC flavio wasnt quite pleased with trulli changing manager, and they had arguments, and i think he drove slowly in spite for the rest of the 04 season. What cannot be contended however, was that the relationship between them wasnt working. He probably has a difficult personality.

I might come off as a trulli fan, in fact maybe i am, i have always kinda liked him for no immediate reasons, but one have to keep in mind that because he is a good qualifier, he will often qualify in front of drivers who are faster than him in the race.

He didnt have much luck in the 06 season and lost out to some points because of that. In 05 he was faster than Ralf until the 105-B came along and since that ralf has seemed to be the faster of them. Toyota seem to like him, anyone know how long he has a contract with them?

m3_lover

All the commentors and writers in F1 all say that if Trulli is on his game on race day then he will do good..if not he will blow...he is not consistent which is his flaw
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Giancarlo

jbenum wrote: Toyota seem to like him, anyone know how long he has a contract with them?
Last season, Trulli signed a 3y contract w/Toyota.
SIU Formula SAE

ketanpaul

I think Jarno is a fast driver and could be right up there with Alonso. I still remember he outpaced Alonso in Renault a lot of times. He is a driver that has to have a good car going his way in order to perform, till now Toyota hasn't given him one and his driving does show his frustration with the underperforming car. All he is able to do in a car like that is some rare flashes of speed. His drives in both Canada and Indy were remarkable considering the his machinery. So, I think it is only when he is given a car that is consistently fast, that we will be able to see Trulli's raw pace.

RH1300S

I would put Trulli in the Fisi camp of really quick drivers who don't seem to have the head strength to put together a whole season and make the best out of equipment that isn't at it's best.

Certainly Trulli has shown astounding qualifying speed, but also (contrary to common belief) he races well (IMHO).

He is missing that relentless drive from lights to flag that you see in the likes of Alonso & Kimi (and of course MS).

I suppose I should add - if Toyota are serious about hitting the top of the F1 game - quite why they have Jarno & (especially) Ralph driving escapes me.

ketanpaul

I suppose I should add - if Toyota are serious about hitting the top of the F1 game - quite why they have Jarno & (especially) Ralph driving escapes me.
I agree, they should probably have someone like mark webber and a young and fast driver like nico, kovy, piquet etc They should have tried to get Nakajima rather than giving him a test role in Williams

Tp
Tp

In my opinion I don't think Trulli, (or Ralf for that matter) have that drive, the desire to win anymore, that pushes them and the team forward. And this, I think is one of the reasons Toyota are not moving from the middle of the grid to the front of the grid.
Last edited by Tp on 07 Feb 2007, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

joseff

Toyota has 2 proven race winners. On the current grid, only Ferrari and Honda can boast the same.

Steven
Owner

joseff wrote:Toyota has 2 proven race winners. On the current grid, only Ferrari and Honda can boast the same.
Well ok, Ralf has won a few races, but the most important thing he has proven is that he is far off from the best drivers out there.

As for Trulli, sure he is excellent in qualifying, but he might be a bit too eager to move his car setup towards qualifying instead of focusing on the race.
Jarno was outpacing Alonso for half a year at Renault, he won at Monaco but showed weakness when he let Barrichello pass in the last corner at Magny-Cours. He fell in disgrace with Briatore and afterwards even deliberately slowed down to indicate his unhappiness. (Flavio said that in an interview a few months ago). That actually moved Flavio to hire Villeneuve for the last 3 races of 2004.

zenvision

I don't think Flavio would go out and say "hey, I sacked Trulli because he changed manager".

It's true that in people's minds Trulli seems to be a qualifier then lacking the pace in the race, but I think its not fair as he put Toyota in a place where they didn't deserve to be in the race due to his great innate ability of getting the best out of him in that lap, still that doesn't mean he's a bad racer. People tend to forget drives like Monaco 06 where he was on a course to the podium until he broke down. I like drivers like Trulli and to a certain extent Fisico who are down to earth and friendly with anyone, hopefully more drivers will be like them.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

joseff

Oh no I'm as baffled as anyone out there as to why Toyota would want to pay the salaries demanded by Ralf & Trulli.

I guess what I was trying to say is, imagine you're Tsutomu Tomita. You're given $400M to play with. Obviously you'd go for an all-star lineup. Marmorini, Vasselon, Gascoyne, Trulli, Ralf etc. because they've all "won races". Being a senior manager at the world's 2nd biggest (biggest?) carmaker, you would be *very* confident of your ability to make the whole thing work.

No disrespect to Tomita-san intended, but Real Madrid couldn't make it work either.