Tyre colouring in 2007

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mrmr

Well I had to sign up to post a question and an idea:

Is it Bridgestone who mounts the tires on wheels supplied by the teams?

If so, couldn't the wheels be colored? Say RED sets and WHITE wheel sets. At each race the softer compounds would always be mounted by Bridgestone on the RED set, the harder compound on the WHITE.

It would eliminate the problem that Bridgestone faces where the painted soft tire for one race becomes the harder compound for the next race.

Of course if the teams are doing their own mounting then Manchild could supervise Ferrari!

allan

you mean the wheel rims right? i think it's a good idea..

mrmr

The rim or the entire wheel -- whatever works. What about the Ferrari/Toyota frisbee though?

What I do like about the painted groove is that we should be able to see it from the on-board cameras.

DaveKillens

Hi mrmr, welcome to the forum.
Traditionally, the teams supply the wheel rims, and the tire manufacturer(s) supplies the rubber and mounts it on the rims.
A common rim design could be done, but the trouble is, each team has it's own idea of rim design, and even what colors they are. Commercial concerns are relevant too, from partnerships with rim manufacturers to how pretty the car looks.
I did a quick check of different teams, and although a dark magnesium/ pewter color seems most popular, even Red Bull and STR have different colored rims.
And any team would complain loudly if the colors clashed. Imagine a green rim on a red Ferrari, or blue or yellow on a Spyker.

mrmr

Hi Dave,

Well I am sure that the teams could do well without the mandated "aero" camera housingings as well.... But "commercial concerns" dictate that the MORE fans enjoy seeing races from the cars on the track than from the sideline vantage points. More fans is what is commercial, not color coordination. Everyone is asking for redwall tires... now aren't they going to look great on the Renault or the Honda. The teams could have any wheel manufacturer they choose--- in any of two colors dictated by the FIA.

Anyway on to another idea... What about RFID tags on the tires? They could be read electronically as they pass down the pit lane and passed on to the TV crews.

kilcoo316

Simple solution:

Bridgestone have 4 or 5 compounds for the whole year:

super-soft = yellow bridgestone writing (like the last of the goodyears)
soft = green sidewall writing
medium = white sidewall writing
hard = blue sidewall writing
super hard = red sidewall writing

It ain't complicated :lol:

joseff

they have 4 actually. Numbering them 1 to 4 from softest to hardest, 1 will only see action at monaco (and hungary? not sure)

It therefore makes sense to mark 1 and 3, hence at any combination (1-2, 2-3, or 3-4) there is one marked set and one unmarked set. There Bridgestone, I've just solved your "impossible" logistics problem. I accept paypal.

vis

IMO option tires shoul have the recessied part of the groove painted in white, so it would be easy to spot the difference from the front/rear

vis

vis wrote:IMO option tires shoul have the recessied part of the groove painted in white, so it would be easy to spot the difference from the front/rear
Bridgestone read my post!

manchild

I still don't get what "option" tyre is. Soft, hard, medium?

peroa

Prime - Hard
Option - Soft
Easy on the Appletini!

modbaraban

I got 2 questions

- Are the (lateral) G-forces so high to transfer all the white grooves on one side? :)

- What the hell are SAF1 doing in Jerez while everyone is in Silverstone and "all the teams confirmed their participation in SIlverstone testing" - the statement I heard many times these days.

any ideas?

EDIT: just noticed the new rearwing
Last edited by modbaraban on 20 Jun 2007, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

mx_tifoso

modbaraban wrote: - Are the (lateral) G-forces so high to transfer all the white grooves on one side :)

- What the hell are SAF1 doing in Jerez while evryone is in Silverstone and "all the teams confirmed their participation in SIlverstone testing" - the statement I heard many times these days.
1. Super Amigos are expirementing with a new top secret formula to combine a harder compound set of tyres on the right side of the car, and a softer compound on the left. SA has kept the benefits of such combination under wraps for the time being.

2. Testing by themselves on a serperate circuit will fend off rivals trying to copy their newly found strategies. (Honda to be more specific!)

:wink:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Lurch

so there are no rules about running mixed combinations upon the car then...

seems strange and never even thought about the concept of them running mixed...

any ideas as to why they would and the benefits?

Saribro

Doesn't it seem ever more likely to anyone that it's just a visual aid to better observe the behaviour of the tyre and evaluate how different set-ups change the tyre dynamics?