What makes a championship winning car

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

@ Jersey Tom

IMO, low weight shouldnt be on that list, more so because their is a regulated weight for every single car that participates in F1, so its not like one car can have a lower weight than his rivals in order to get better performance (excluding fuel amounts),
maybe reliability should be on their instead, as it is crucial to winning races and thus, championships
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

AeroGT3
AeroGT3

Reliability
Aero
Engine
Chassis
Weight
Money (which affects all of the above)

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Hey Aero did you take that job yet?

Jason

1)Light, compact and powerful engine.
2)Aerodynamic efficiency.
3)Durability(you can't win if you're car is leaving bits and pieces all over the place)
4)Speed and reliability(you gotta be fast in qualifying and you gotta last the race)
5)Money!!!! :lol:
6)Great amount of R&D.
7)Tyre Usage
8)?
9)?
10)?

On the drivers side....

1)experience
2)intelligence
3)fitness
4)bravery
5)I'm not giving up attitude....
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

AeroGT3
AeroGT3

BreezyRacer wrote:Hey Aero did you take that job yet?
I did not. The start date was far too soon and they were not flexible enough.

fwa2500

1. Money - without money, you cant spend on the crucial R&D, cant buy the best parts, cant hire the best drivers.
2. Team Spirit - like in other sports, if your team isnt passionate about what its doing and proud of its self, you arent going anywhere fast.
3. Commitment - you cant just bail out because its not going you way (cough*midlands*cough)
4. Patience - all good things come with time.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice... - self explanitory.

....meh, its getting late and my brain is fried...

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

AeroGT3 wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:Hey Aero did you take that job yet?
I did not. The start date was far too soon and they were not flexible enough.
I'm very sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope you get another chance. Now that it's over, who was it?

ketanpaul

All right, all right, ketanpaul. So:

11. Driver

RH1300S
RH1300S

I think you need general answers; it sounds to me like the kind of question you would ask in setting the design targets/priorities for the car. Then detail like aero & CofG etc. is purely a matter of how you achieve those targets.

We are considering the car, not the driver or the team - let's assume they are of high quality anyway ;)

So...........:

Reliability - to finish first....first you must finish ;)

Speed - clearly the car must be fast

Adaptable - the car must be good at all circuits used in the championship

Fuel Efficient - it needs to make better use of fuel to minimise either the amount needing to be carried or the amount of time spent stopping for the stuff

Tyre Friendly - like fuel it must make full use of the tyres on offer

User Friendly - Driver (he needs to be able to drive it on the limit every single lap and an unpredictable car won't let that happen)

User Friendly - Mechanics (a car that can be adjusted/repaired quickly in the pits - testing or race to maximise track time)

Comfortable - The driver has to be able to do his job

Strong - no point having a car that falls apart over the first kerb or slight brush with another object

Good Looking - all the greatest race cars look fabulous :D

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

When a Formula One car crosses the finish line first, it's the result of a long line of events. There's the mechanical aspects of the car, and all of them have to be equal or superior to the competition to achieve success. Powerplant, suspension, electical components, all that stuff.
To get that extra one percent advantage that results in wins, we see many uses of cool ideas. Mass dampers, flexing wings, anything to get that "unfair advantage".
Personally, I believe the organization behind the car matters the most. You have to have a management that is willing to take chances, push the boundaries and go into new territory. Hmm, maybe Toyota's problems could be a result of it's management structure. Things happen fast, changes can take place within hours. The company has to be able to react immediately to correct any shortcomings, and do it without faltering. Last year, ferrari had problems with their gearbox. They had replacements flown in IMMEDIATELY, those components had to be on the plane the moment the phone calls started.

1) Avoiding major blunders
2) Car preparation
3) Flexible and quick reacting management
4) Competent mechanics and engineers
5) Getting the car to the finish line
6) Tire management
7) Quality driver
8) Willingness to take risks
9) Aero package
10) Powerplant
10)