Bernie's idea

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which point system you choose?

15-8-6-5-4-3-2-1
45%
20-10-6-5-4-3-2-1
45%
60-30-15-5-4-3-2-1
9%

Total votes: 22

manchild

Bernie's idea

http://www.f1technical.net/news/5089

Bernie says it should be all about win and I agree but to make f1 even more exciting I'd motivate drivers and teams with podium finish too by introducing big difference between points for 3rd and 4th place as well as between 2nd and 3rd place.

My vote for what I've suggested as point system under option number 3 :wink:

nudge

to be honest, i liked the old system. 10 6 4 321, but i can see why it is a good think to have points for the top eight finishers..so maybe summut like: 14 10 7 54321.
one thing i would really like to see is a point for pole, and a point for fastest lap....especially fastest lap, as it can spice up an otherwise dull race.

Tom

I reakon everyone up to 12th should get points, to motivate people running further down to still challenge and get a bit more action.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

nae
nae

In my horrible view, i would like to see points for 1/2 the grid. but that has tv contractual money issues

but yes more points for the winner.
not sure on fastest lap or pole (the reward for pole is enough already)

so i would guess 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 would fit right in

bernie will sort it as he sees fit

Rob W

nudge wrote:to be honest, i liked the old system. 10 6 4 321, but i can see why it is a good think to have points for the top eight finishers...
I totally agree with the top end of the old system. The winner should get about 1.5 times the 2nd place getter who in-turn gets about 1.5 of the 3rd. I'm totally against the winner getting double the points of the 2nd place getter.

I think something like this would suit.

15, 10, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

The top 8 all get points. The top three are separated from the next 5.. (the current gap of only one point from 3rd to 4th doesn't seem quite right. The top three is the historical benchmark of achieving top level in most sports - it seems right to me that their be a gap back to 4th)

I also loathe the idea of giving points for fastest lap, most laps lead or for best qualifying etc. In other series where they have 40 cars racing and do two or three-race weekends I can understand it making sense... Likewise, they make for oval racing where there would otherwise be no motivation for getting past the guy in front of you until the last lap of the race (you'd even save fuel).. but not in F1. I think it should be about the pinnacle achievement per race - and only the race, and only the positions at the finish line should have any merit in the form of points.

Rob W

BreezyRacer

The poll really should include the current system. Having said that, I guess more points for winners would tighten interest towards the end of the season. I could agree with 12 points to the winner. 15 is too much.

mep

I think everyone who finishes the race should get points for it.
And therefore ban the one engine per two races rule.

So everybody who can't finish a race gets punished a bit because
all the other drivers even those with the slowest cars scores points.

But if your engine breaks during testing you don't have a
big disadvantage.

And the point difference should grow rapidly to the best places.

Saribro

Ideally, I'd prefer a system with definite advantage to podium + extra for win. So from 8th up it would be along the lines of 1 2 3 4 5 8 11 15, or alternatively 7 9 12 for top3 as 15 seems a little on the high side.

joseff

What about an olympic medal system? So to win WC you simply MUST win more races.

manchild

I think that two 2nd places shouldn't bring more points than one win. As it is now and as it was, two second places brought more than one win and I think that's bad.

Perhaps the third option form poll I prefer looks unreal but it suggest ruthless battle for 3rd as much as it does for 2nd or 1st place. Problem is in fact that current first 8 point system was made to enable smaller teams to score points because scored points bring money.

It has noting to do with making F1 more fun. That 3rd option I've suggested would make teams and drivers risk more, run car on maximum because the difference in points between places would be so tempting. Fastest lap should be awarded too as well as pole position.

Perhaps even like this:

128 - 64 - 32 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1

For those who can't get or rarely get among first 8 it is the same how point system looks like but for top 8 cars/drivers huge difference in points would be supreme motivating factor.

Saribro

joseff wrote:What about an olympic medal system? So to win WC you simply MUST win more races.
but then you'd get insane standings where someone who won 1 race and crashed or not scored in all others would outrank someone who has been second 17 times. Also, it's simply not needed, the current system already gets good results.

In an "olympic" system, 2006 would give:
1)Alonso (7x1 + 7x2 + 0x3 + 0x4 + 2x5 + retirements)
2)Schumacher (7x1 + 4x2 + 1x3 + 1x4 + 1x5 + some crap)
3)Massa (2x1 + 3x2 + 2x3 + 2x4 + 3x5 + some crap)
4)Fiscichella(1x1 + 0x2 + 4x3 + 3x4 + 1x5 + some crap)
5)Button(1x1 + 0x2 + 2x3 + 5x4 + 1x5 + some crap)

The only one making a loss here is Raikonnen with (0x1 + 2x2 + 4x3 + 1x4 + 5x5 + retirements), which would make 6 in the "olympic" system, but was 5th in the current. To go somewhat OT on that, everytime Kimi finished, he was top5, pretty decent. Dito for Alonso.

captainmorgan

kind of a dearth of choices in the poll.

I dont see why there has to be such drastic changes to the point system. If a lazy second place driver is the problem, why not add in specific bonus points. Say, +2 points if the 2nd driver overtakes first after the last pit stop? Or after the halfway mark +3 points for each successful passing maneuver by anyone and -3 points for getting passed.

I do agree about the points for finishers though. That would hopefully give incentive to both the top AND bottom teams to develop more reliability.

Tom

That's too confusing, its got to be easy for the fans to follow.

I think there should be a point for fastest lap and most positions gained though.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

bhall

I've actually thought about this before and have come up with something that I think would work very well. It's a compromise between the current points system and the previous one.

1st - 11 points
2nd - 8 points
3rd - 6 points
4th - 4 points
5th - 3 points
6th - 2 points

Fastest lap - 1 point

Rob W

Tom wrote:That's too confusing, its got to be easy for the fans to follow.
Exactly, good point... I've thought about it and Manchild's comment about the 2nd place getter not getting more than half of the first is pretty valid... but I do think the race to race wins are only a small part of a whole season's end goal. Therefore I would prefer to see someone who came 2nd in every race of the entire season be champion over someone who won 1/3 of the races and didn't score points in the other 2/3rds.

A reasoning for this could also be that some teams will concentrate on certain races where they know they'll be strong and flag the others... A high scoring 2nd and 3rd compared to 1st will discourage this type of thing - every race should count and every 2nd and 3rd should count. If you put too much gap between 1st, 2nd, 3rd then some teams will get in the habit of not trying at Australia, Malaysia etc early in the season and rather take their time getting the car ready for Europe.

Rob W
Last edited by Rob W on 14 Mar 2007, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.