SA-07 now out

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
scarbs

I'm not saying that the Aguri isnt based on the Hondas original design, I think this has even been admitted, as Honda R&D now own the rights to the design.
HOWEVER, the car is effectively all newly designed and in that spirit I would rant more about RedBull technologies than Honda R&D and Aguri, who are at least trying to develop a new car, rather than copy a 2007 one.

manchild

I agree, if FIA finds SA07 to be illegal than RB03 is at least as twice as much illegal.

*Sorry, I was adding and editing my previous post before I saw you already replied.

ConsFW

Frank Williams started in Formula1 with a customer car.

What happened when BMW bought Sauber? What happened when Spyker bought Jordan? Did they burn all the blueprints from last year's design and start from scratch?

What happens when a designer from HondaF1 is transferred over to SA? For example, the Adrian Newey-designed RedBull looks strikingly similar to an Adrian Newey-designed McLaren. Was Adrian Newey supposed to wipe his brain clean of all previous knowledge and start from scratch? It's inevitable that there will be note sharing between closely related teams.

It's not like SA are running a clone of this year's Honda - they have developed their car from old data and an old design (2006), unlike STR and RedBull.

manchild

Buying a team is not the same thing as making another team based on a single design. Aguri bought Arrows chassis' and what they could legally do was develop Arrows chassis' since Arrows teams isn't in F1 while Honda was/is.

I also noticed that people mention the work Aguri undertook developing RA106 as an excuse while in fact any development means that developed design is better than original design which makes racing with developed car more unsporting and unfair than racing with original design since performance of developed car is certainly much better.

millerjam

To my mind I'm not really sure if I agree in principle with what they're both doing, I like to think that constructors actually design, develop and manufacture their own car.
But really they've both found a loophole in the rules, so fair play to them, that's the nature of the sport.
If you notice SA and Torro Rosso both bought their designs from third party IP holders, so "legal" I guess!
But I suppose you could question as to whether they both could qualify for constructors points, because its here where the FIA rulebook seems to contradict itself on the issue, and probably what Spyker and Williams are worried about as they could both set to loose TV money.
I just hope Williams find some performance this season and sticks it too all of them, then this argument will soon go away![/quote]

johny

i don't see any loophole everybody can interpret rules and what i see is that under current regulations both are illegal.