SPEED TV s***ks

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

captainmorgan wrote:the speed tv commentators spend almost as much time commentating as they do grunting or making exclamatory "OH OH OH!" like giddy schoolgirls.

nothing beats itv, absolutely nothing
Unless you're able to receive FoxSports Latin America. The guys have been covering F1 for ages and the technology they use is excellent. I doubt very much any commentator, except for ex-drivers, has the level of access and the intelligence these guys display. Go Tano! :) This COULD be the reason why latino drivers rock at F1! :roll:
Ciro

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

SpeedTV targets the US audience, and sadly, it's mainly NA$CAR. And we found that out last night, when the third tier NA$CAR series, trucks, held precedence over F1 live qualifying. It confuses me when you hear that F1 wants more exposure of the US race fan to F1, and SpeedTV instead decides a truck race has more priority.
Last night here in Canada I was able to watch the drama live on TSN. That was the good news, the bad news is the commentators and coverage sucks. I gave it six out of ten. Finally, when I was able to re-watch it on SpeedTV, I considered the coverage much better and scored it an eight.
In this age of instant, global communications, our expectations are higher than the result. Oh well, at least we are now back enjoying the great sport of Formula One.

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

pyry wrote:
EAKMotorsports wrote:watch late program isn't good loss all the mean. And watch the qualy in live timing no good eider. I pay to watch this channel and that he gimme back. btw speedtv only pass nascar now all weekend long that s**ks and nascar already pass in anorther channels about 5 channels for nascar. I want to watch DTM, WRC, F1, WTCC, FIA-GT but no luck. speedtv needs to change that name of the channel again for nascartv.
i see you've furiously worked on your english skills :)

true :)
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

Phoenix

I do have to give it to Speed about their commentary. It is top notch in my opinion. I had quite a few laughs last night when they kept cracking jokes about the cloned car.

I believe one of the commentators suggested "Honda should just put their car in development and bring back the RA106." Then the other commentator said, "They can't, Super Aguri is racing it."

That is commentary. :)

But I'm still cross about those trucks. . .

waynes
waynes

i think Speed is class, of course im watching via the internet

Jagboy
Jagboy

I totally agree that the Speed commentators are great. They scratch the basic stuff that anybody watching F1 for a couple races should know and then they add some humor. I really miss those guys when it's blacked out on Speed and I have to watch it on CBS or whatever. The comments made on that channel are so basic that it gets annoying.

JB

Sodder
Sodder

DaveKillens wrote:SpeedTV targets the US audience, and sadly, it's mainly NA$CAR. And we found that out last night, when the third tier NA$CAR series, trucks, held precedence over F1 live qualifying. It confuses me when you hear that F1 wants more exposure of the US race fan to F1, and SpeedTV instead decides a truck race has more priority.
Last night here in Canada I was able to watch the drama live on TSN. That was the good news, the bad news is the commentators and coverage sucks. I gave it six out of ten. Finally, when I was able to re-watch it on SpeedTV, I considered the coverage much better and scored it an eight.
In this age of instant, global communications, our expectations are higher than the result. Oh well, at least we are now back enjoying the great sport of Formula One.
Speed dosn't put F1 behind anything in the United States for any reason other than money. There are probably more Supertruck fans in the United States than F1 fans. Oh well. I would love for it to be telecast during respectable hours on a basic cable channel, just like it will be for five races with Fox this year. The best part about that...Speed's broadcast crew, with all their silly sayings and grunts will be the cast. :D
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

Ciro Pabón

Well, Speed is fascinating on its own way: for me it was a "total discovery" to watch a Super V-8 race: it's the best of both worlds. Those aussies and neozelandese (Newzelanders?) rock.

I'm still reading about it, but the concept is superb: some kind of NASCAR on a road track! Competition is hot and handling is amusing to watch.

Anyway I love that guys at Speed, even if I find the truck races a little funny. I confess my total ignorance but is there any reason to race in a truck other than promoting them? :)
Ciro

Tom

I would guess truck racing started as a cheap alternative to stock cas, then it just grew.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Sodder
Sodder

Tom wrote:I would guess truck racing started as a cheap alternative to stock cas, then it just grew.
Cheap is a relative word.

I would say that it is more of a feeder series to the Busch series which is a feeder series to the Nextel Cup series.
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

Tom

Originally, back in the 60s, Stock cars would have been expensive for the blue collar folk so they went racing their cheap pick ups instead. Now I've no doubt that pick ups cost almost as much as V8 Supercars or NASCARs.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ian P.
Ian P.

Simple....Watch Both.

Lucky me ... I get both TSN and Speed.
The tape delay works OK for me. I spent the first half hour of qualifying under the car so the delay worked out well.
Of more concern is the near complete lack of understanding of the rules and strategy by the announcers.
During the final Qualifying session, the drivers are being told (by radio) to conserve fuel, while the announcers are saying they should be burning off as much as possible...yeah right. They just don't get-it.
Even so, the qualifying announcing on Speed is light-years ahead of TSN. Even the pre-race show on Speed is better. Just during the race does TSN tap into the live coverage from the track. Excellent coverage and commentary. They should sack thier home-grown announcer (he does baseball as well) and just pay for the track produced coverage.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

Scuderia_Russ

pyry wrote:
EAKMotorsports wrote:watch late program isn't good loss all the mean. And watch the qualy in live timing no good eider. I pay to watch this channel and that he gimme back. btw speedtv only pass nascar now all weekend long that s**ks and nascar already pass in anorther channels about 5 channels for nascar. I want to watch DTM, WRC, F1, WTCC, FIA-GT but no luck. speedtv needs to change that name of the channel again for nascartv.
i see you've furiously worked on your english skills :)
That'll be English skills.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-