Engine change for Kimi?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ian P.

Too bad.
He is likely stuck to starting 12th to 15th if they follow the long first stint philosophy (heavy qualifying fuel load).
Given Kimi's capabilities and the nature of the Malasian track, I wonder about starting him on soft tyres with enough fuel to get to 1/4 distance. Then basically follow the 3 stop strategy with the two final stints on hard compounds.??
This is all moot if the engine is OK.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

DaveKillens

Glad to meet you LongJohnSilver, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the clarification on the penalty if an engine change happens post-qualifying, that's very relevant.
A Formula One engine definitely has a limited life, and in fact, I seriously doubt a competitive engine can be run full revs, full power for two entire race weekend cycles. Just like a mile runner, they have to pace themselves.
Having a water leak and possible overheated engine would definitely shorten it's expected safe life limits. As well, Kimi losing his radio would have compounded the problem because if the engineers wanted him to turn down the revs, he probably didn't hear them.
The decision on an engine change has probably been made by now, or else the decision is so tight, they are waiting to see the weather and heat situation in Malaysia. Manchild probably has this mental image of Jean Todt sacrificing a chicken or goat to the "Weather Gods", fervently praying for an uncommonly cool spot of weather in Malaysia. I do. :roll:

bizadfar

If they change the engine on saturday, I'm pretty certain he"ll either be 11th or 12th (unless some super light people quali infront of him)

You guys remember hungary 2006. With those penalties, Schumacher still made it in to Q3 i think. lol.

Apart from the midpack start, his a great driver in traffic and malaysia being a wide track with all the rubber laid down (lets hope it doesnt rain! or does for entertainment sakes!) it will make overtaking a little easier.

Ciro Pabón

What does it mean the engine had a water leak? How often does a pipe breaks in F1? I can believe that something broke the radiator (perhaps in Kimi's off track excursion), but a pipe? Besides it's not easy to break a radiator tube: the cooling fins are very effective in protecting them against the odd object that can impact on them. Can any of you ellaborate on that? I read that "apparently the problem was on some part of the cooling system that is outside of the engine", but I find that hard to believe. I did not see any steam either. Of course I cannot rule out that, but if its not external, this would let us only another alternative:

Could it be a gasket instead? (if it was a cylinder wall the engine would be wrecked for sure). I mean, if it is this last option, the engine maybe is severely impaired, because the only cause I can think of for a gasket failure is overheating prior to coolant leakage into the cylinders.

Did anyone observed any steam coming out of the engine on the slow parts of the track? Of course, the leak could have been too small to produce any observable steam, but I cannot stop thinking about how improbable an external leakage of coolant seems.

LongJhonSilver: welcome. Another guy that reads regulations! Hard to find, let me tell you.
Ciro

Mikey_s

Just my 2c;

My guess is that overheating would lead to inadequate separation of metal surfaces due to the lubrication being inadequate. This would be immediately recognisable from the lube analysis they carry out after every run. Using an endoscope and lube analysis I think they must have a pretty good picture of what, if anything, is starting to fail in the engine... thereafter no problems in the decision to change or not.

Apart from increased wear the only other issues I could imagine at the moment are warping, but that should only happen after really frying the engine - which I cannot imagine happened.

Just my opinion...
Mike

mahesh248

its better to play it safer than risk a blow ....CHANGE IT !!!!!!!!!!

manchild

mahesh248 wrote:its better to play it safer than risk a blow ....CHANGE IT !!!!!!!!!!
It will last, it will last!

:lol:

Tifoso

I think that Gilles Simon said that even though they had a water leak, the engine didn't suffer damage. So they are not going to change it before seeing if there is a real damage in the engine, so maybe they will do a small run for seeing how the engine is on FP1-2-3.

Tom

I suppose a pipe would break due to the huge vibrations the cars experience.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

vEddY

mahesh248 wrote:its better to play it safer than risk a blow ....CHANGE IT !!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope there's no need...
Check out my website at http://it-review.net - stay up to date with hardware, software, and other IT-related things.

DaveKillens

From the instant a Formula One engine is first fired on the test dyno, it's life expectancy diminishes. Every component, every gram of material is designed to the ultimate minimum, just two race weekends, and not a second more. It's just like an analgue gas gauge on a gas-guzzler. The needle creeps slowly toward the Empty indicator, and then it's over. High revs, sustained high revs, vibration from the TC, they all add stress to the engine and move that gauge just a little quicker.
Who knows what the coolant issue was, it could have been a pinhole leak in a radiator hose to something being thrown into a sidepod and closing off some of the radiator fins. But it added stress to the engine, and we shall just wait and see.

jddh1

does anybody think he'll run friday? my guess is that if he runs for a bit, then ferrari is definitely worried about the engine. if he runs continously with no problems, then kimi should be fine.

peroa

jddh1 wrote:does anybody think he'll run friday? my guess is that if he runs for a bit, then ferrari is definitely worried about the engine. if he runs continously with no problems, then kimi should be fine.

What has friday got to do with the race engine?
Easy on the Appletini!

joseff

jddh1, in 2007 friday running is exempt from the 2-race engine rule.

Ciro Pabón

That's true, jddh1. For some Alonso fans (don't look at me!) this adds another bit to the legend of Kimi "Lead Foot" Raikkonen: he managed to damage somehow a Ferrari engine on his first run, with revs limited to 19.000 rpm AND running free on first place AND with a 20 seconds advantage... :shock:

I've got this from F1Rejects: "Telemetry of Kimi "The Ray" Raikkonen's street car leaked to the press". Or was it from F1Fakery? I'm not sure...

:wink:
Ciro