Engine change for Kimi?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dumrick

Scuderia_Russ wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:its kimi's driving style that puts tremendous load on the engine...the Mclarens used to blow up coz of that...but the legendary Ferrari reliability stopped the engine from blowing up due to kimi's hammering....he's too brutal in the corners.
What an absoloute joke of a post. Mercedes engines were blowing up when Kimi was still in school!
This discussion is getting brainless... :roll:
Mercedes engines started blowing up after the berillium ban (which I still consider a ruling made against Mercedes, just like forbidding rotary valves - actually all those concerns in keeping Mercedes/Ilmor innovations from being exploited on track tells you how good the oponents consider them...)

checkered

Help, Ciro,

I'm seeing numbers, everywhere! No, I’m not a Farker btw (seeing that in writing, I hope people here know how to refrain from the obvious) and the culture is largely alien to me … I’ve been content to appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly of the news by its own right. Looked it up, though and was introduced to something called “UltraFark”, which you can visit here:

http:// ++++**NO CARRIER**++++

This Is an automated message.
Internal server error, DISN router has informed me that such an IP cannot exist. I’ve been informed it is better to stop trying or my kernel will be forcibly replaced, sorry.
501 error: not implemented. The service cannot be found.
The service you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, temporarily unavailable or you should just forget about it.
Please try the following:
No suggestions available, try using any Help function available. Press F1.

Hope you found the site interesting, it’s certainly something else! :) Anyway, I only made the association to 2005 simply because there were at least four (aforementioned) instances when KR was placed in the position he’s propably facing now and it proved to be a very interesting race, even if the true logic of the 10 place penalty is questionable.

The merits of overtaking, overtakers and such are harder to quantify. I’d propably try to use fuzzy logic codes, self-organizing maps or such for the task, I feel straightforward numbers crushing gets one pretty much nowhere. (re: your comment about “exceptional races”) But of course I can’t be bothered, because it’d be a huge task. :) Numbers in themselves are neutral and it’s amazing what can be done with them. It’s more about how you pose a question.

Whenever I’ve felt in need F1 of stats, in 95% of the cases I’ve consulted these two sites succesfully (the latter being a more recent addition):

http://www.f1db.com/tiki-index.php
http://www.visionf1.com/

ds.raikkonen

Mercedes engines started blowing up after the berillium ban (which I still consider a ruling made against Mercedes, just like forbidding rotary valves - actually all those concerns in keeping Mercedes/Ilmor innovations from being exploited on track tells you how good the oponents consider them...)[/quote]

know it all fella...who does nt know that Mcmerc engines were nt blowing up even before kimi existed.....certain bans hurt certain teams...like banning mass dampers hurt Renault ... the point i wuz trying to make is that Kimi IS hard on the damn car....what is the fuss abt?its true...dont start jumping around just for the sake of it....
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

ds.raikkonen

Mercedes engines started blowing up after the berillium ban (which I still consider a ruling made against Mercedes, just like forbidding rotary valves - actually all those concerns in keeping Mercedes/Ilmor innovations from being exploited on track tells you how good the oponents consider them...)[/quote]

know it all fella...who does nt know that Mercedes engines were nt blowing up even before kimi existed.....certain bans hurt certain teams...like banning mass dampers hurt Renault ... the point i wuz trying to make is that Kimi IS hard on the damn car....what is the fuss abt?its true...dont start jumping around just for the sake of it....
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

ds.raikkonen

er...read the latter one....

bizadfar

ds.raikkonen wrote:know it all fella...who does nt know that Mercedes engines were nt blowing up even before kimi existed.....certain bans hurt certain teams...like banning mass dampers hurt Renault ... the point i wuz trying to make is that Kimi IS hard on the damn car....what is the fuss abt?its true...dont start jumping around just for the sake of it....
rofl. So yea Massa took those kerbs pretty hard in qualiufying. His hard on the gearbox. Fernando is hard on the tyres, Massa on the gearbox, Kimi on the engine, Webber on the tyres/engine.... You see what stupid argument you have?

What may be true is that Kimi is able to get on the throttle WAY earlier than others from exceptional driving skills. And that doesn't necessarily brake an engine. Oh yea and I guess Kimi broke the rear suspension in Bahrain qualifying last year too. ANd Montoya broke the drive shaft in hungary in 2005.

Beryllium was considered carsogenic by the FIA and was super light material. To get back to that lightness, Mercedes/ilmor most likely failed to retain relibaility.

People like you are a joke, I have no idea why you do not admit the 2000-2005 Mclarens were frail. 2004/2005 esp. Remember all the gearbox problems They had way back? Oh so Hakkinen broke them. ok.

Ray

You should read his posts on the night race issue. Funny/lame comments on his part.

manchild

allan wrote:
ferrarigp wrote:If it stops or becomes unstable at the end of Q1, then maybe it can be changed before the end of Q2?
are u serious man? It's impossible to change an engine within 10 minutes... it take from 90 to 150 minutes , at least, to change the damn thing :wink:
It took 40 minutes for Renault mechanics to replace engine for Heikki's T car.
http://blog.renaultf1.com/index.php?en/ ... lly#c38507

Scuderia_Russ

manchild wrote:
It took 40 minutes for Renault mechanics to replace engine for Heikki's T car.
That's a long time to whip oput a hamster wheel. :P
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Mr.Bushido

Kimi's fine with his engine so far, he qualified 3rd and didn't even expect being on the 2nd row of the grid at the start of qualifying. Ferrari's engine reliability is not the worst, but unexpected things happen all the time.

Ciro Pabón

Well, not all the time. They only happen when you don't expect them. :)
Ciro