McLaren Engineers perspective.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens

mep wrote:So why is he not always so much better than the others?
I would say Hungary was not a race under normal conditions,
so you can't give much on it.
Sorry, IMO I disagree. It's been said, and it's true that rain is the great equalizer. It shows off drivers with acute driving skills. Some great drivers have been honoured with the title "Rainmaster", and it's not taken lightly. To beat anyone in the rain is a wonderul achievement and any driver deserves great praise for doing well in the rain. When the track is dry and everything's just wonderful, driver times are very close. But inject problems or an environment that suddenly makes everything difficult, then the great drivers rise to the occasion and really shine.

ds.raikkonen

Fernando=(3/5)*Kimi

Fernando is relatively newer in F1...having been since 2002..whereas Kimi has been there for quite a time...i.e. more experience..now he has got more talent than Alonso..and now bcoz they are on an even platform with only Bridgestone as sole supplier+Ferrari's reliability he is feeling much more comfortable..in 2005 & 2006 Renault and Mclaren had a huge performance advant over Ferrari bcoz of Michelin esp in the wet conditions.Renault were more reliable and thats why they won..Mclaren were terrible in terms of reliability ..so Kimi lost hopes of the championship even though his car was quicker than others..although the Bridgestones were better on dry tracks (even the Toyotas took advant of that in the Japanese GP)..now though with Bridgestones its all down to driver talent and engines+reliability and Kimi just proved the point.as it was obvious in the ING Aus GP....he just destroyed every other racer...
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

segedunum

Re: Fernando=(3/5)*Kimi

ds.raikkonen wrote:Fernando is relatively newer in F1...having been since 2002..whereas Kimi has been there for quite a time...i.e. more experience..
Raikkonen and Alonso's debut seasons were both 2001.

Ciro Pabón

DaveKillens wrote:Sorry, IMO I disagree. It's been said, and it's true that rain is the great equalizer. It shows off drivers with acute driving skills. Some great drivers have been honoured with the title "Rainmaster", and it's not taken lightly.
Thanks, Dave. I'm pretty good in the rain (Bogotá is like Malaysia: almost 3 meters of rain per year) but I s*ck in the dry... I'm telling the guys at the track you consider I have "acute" driving skills. :lol:
Ciro

ds.raikkonen

yeah sorry abt that...got it wrong...but my point is that kimi is way better than Alonso
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

m3_lover

ds.raikkonen wrote:yeah sorry abt that...got it wrong...but my point is that kimi is way better than Alonso
This is another repeat of another useless thread about who is the better driver. Who cares and lets talk about something useful
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

nudge

as with all these kind of stories, the devil is in the detail...and autosport havnt given us the context of any conversation they may have had.
i can only really think of two engineers who would be in position to make such comparasons, and i cant see either of them being so daft

bizadfar

Re: Fernando=(3/5)*Kimi

ds.raikkonen wrote:Fernando is relatively newer in F1...having been since 2002..whereas Kimi has been there for quite a time...i.e. more experience..now he has got more talent than Alonso..and now bcoz they are on an even platform with only Bridgestone as sole supplier+Ferrari's reliability he is feeling much more comfortable..in 2005 & 2006 Renault and Mclaren had a huge performance advant over Ferrari bcoz of Michelin esp in the wet conditions.Renault were more reliable and thats why they won..Mclaren were terrible in terms of reliability ..so Kimi lost hopes of the championship even though his car was quicker than others..although the Bridgestones were better on dry tracks (even the Toyotas took advant of that in the Japanese GP)..now though with Bridgestones its all down to driver talent and engines+reliability and Kimi just proved the point.as it was obvious in the ING Aus GP....he just destroyed every other racer...
That post shows how shallow your F1 knowledge is. Brush it up son! And stop being such a bias fan... sick of them already, weather it be bmw, mclaren, renault, ferrari. All idiots.

ds.raikkonen

mistakes are made by humans..that wuz one of them...ive started following F1 properly since 2005...so ill try to keep up

DaveKillens

Welcome to THE forum, ds.raikkonen. It's nice to greet a relatively new fan to this great sport. Keep it up, it only gets better.
Please don't be put off by any negativity, at least you have the courage to post your opinions so freely.

ds.raikkonen

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement Dave...i appreciate that