No TC as of 2008!!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Spyker MF1

No TC as of 2008!!!

As of 2008 there will no longer be traction control

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57702

http://www.f1technical.net/news/5256
A standard ECU will be inforced to control teams from hiding a system
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

Sawtooth-spike

Finaly,

Should really suit the smoother drivers and get rid of some of the monkey boys.

Really glad they have dropped it. I never liked it.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

joseff

Plus slicks and wider cars. So 2008 = 1997 then?

Principessa

http://www.f1technical.net/news/5259

And the teams will be allowed to make changes to certain parts of their engine too...

checkered

Now, explain me

this ... FIA bans (with the teams' universal consent) TC, indefinitely. At the very same time FIA and road car manufacturers are probing possibilities to introduce so called "stability control" into F1. TC, I figure, is just a component in an overall SC entity that is a much more comprehensive software-technological driver input/vehicle physics control system. Which is why, at least for now, I am experiencing some difficulty in processing this conflicting information with my "non-standard ECU".

Reference on SC in F1:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 447171.stm

GTO

Hold your horses Joseff.
Don't get too excited. FIA has changed their plans for slicks & wider cars.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/5259

I know... I'm really disappointed about that. :cry: At least TC is gone in 08. :D I don't know why they're so afraid of increasing mech. grip on cars? :?

On SC, I think the FIA are just hearing what ideas the car co. have. I don't think they'll introduce it. If they do, I'll be happy with combination of slicks, wider cars, engine mods, regen. energy & stability control.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

These things come and go in cycles, I've seen this situation before. Every few years people complain that 1) there are a few drivers that don't have the appropriate talent level to be in F1, and 2) the cars are too easy to drive, that they don't bring out all the required skills in a driver. You know, hit the apex, plant the gas pedal to the bottom, and just drive out of the corner. Whatever happened to the days where if a driver was too aggressive on the throttle the back end would come around?
When grooved tires were introduced, this was one hope, that we the fans would see the cars sliding a lot more. But as we now all know, everyone was running illegal TC, and drivers just drove out of corners.
F1 is supposed to be about the most high-tech. But we also need to balance technology against giving the fans a good show, and exhibiting true driver skills. Now, we can't make it too easy for the drivers, can we? :wink:
I sometimes watch NASCAR, and one time I enjoy is on restarts, when you get to see some drivers slipping and sliding, fighting hard with cars doing the same, all around them. Taking away TC gives the fans more to experience, where they can see additional aspects to a driver's skills.

emburmak
emburmak

tHAT IS GREAT NEWS! 8)

joseff

But... how would this affect our beloved #3 driver?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

It would be amazing to see M.Schumacher drive the F2008 without TC !!!
im almost sure he will be dying to try it out
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The TC they use at the moment is banned, but they will find other methods of TC, they just wont call it traction control...

Don't expect the cars on the 08 grid to just be normal F1 cars wil TC switched off... that would just be stupid...

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Nowadays the (ma)FIA seems to think that everyone has to use the same "freezed" engines,with the same capacity and displacement,the same tyres,same transmission,etc...And they think this will spice up the sport and bring more people to the circuits...

I would like to point out that the most exciting periods in F1 history where periods in which everyone was driving DIFFERENT chassis,with hugely different engines and kinds of transmission.

I agree that TC is good news,as drivers will now have to show what they're worth with less gizmos available.But I think it won't spice anything up.

In the 80's, people drove overpowered turbo beasts with +1000hp (rumours indicate that at one point,when Senna was driving for JPS Lotus,that Renault built a qualifying engine capable of reaching 1386hp), slick tyres, no driving aids and manual transmissions, on the wet.

So...Nowadays' F1 is child's play.

Tom

F1 Observer, Renault sources revealed that engine could in fact reach 1400rpm at which point it went off the end of the dynamo measure!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

joseff

Tom wrote:F1 Observer, Renault sources revealed that engine could in fact reach 1400rpm at which point it went off the end of the dynamo measure!
You mean to say "1400 hp, beyond the range of the dyno"

bizadfar
bizadfar

DaveKillens wrote:These things come and go in cycles, I've seen this situation before. Every few years people complain that 1) there are a few drivers that don't have the appropriate talent level to be in F1, and 2) the cars are too easy to drive, that they don't bring out all the required skills in a driver. You know, hit the apex, plant the gas pedal to the bottom, and just drive out of the corner. Whatever happened to the days where if a driver was too aggressive on the throttle the back end would come around?
When grooved tires were introduced, this was one hope, that we the fans would see the cars sliding a lot more. But as we now all know, everyone was running illegal TC, and drivers just drove out of corners.
F1 is supposed to be about the most high-tech. But we also need to balance technology against giving the fans a good show, and exhibiting true driver skills. Now, we can't make it too easy for the drivers, can we? :wink:
I sometimes watch NASCAR, and one time I enjoy is on restarts, when you get to see some drivers slipping and sliding, fighting hard with cars doing the same, all around them. Taking away TC gives the fans more to experience, where they can see additional aspects to a driver's skills.
That illegal TC was from the ECU software. I'm sure you knew, but just felt i had to add for others maybe.
Diesel wrote:The TC they use at the moment is banned, but they will find other methods of TC, they just wont call it traction control...

Don't expect the cars on the 08 grid to just be normal F1 cars wil TC switched off... that would just be stupid...
Standard ECUs now. Doubt it.