No TC as of 2008!!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tom

Yeah, sorry, hp, not rpm
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

G-Rock

I think that it's a shame that they are banning TC.

With all the pressure put on F1 to be a leader in environmentally friendly/beneficial race technology, they are giving up a piece of technology that increases fuel mileage. Out of all the technologies of F1 they chose to take out the fuel saving one.

TC let's a car accelerate on the limit of adhesion without wasting fuel on wheelspin. It may not be a spectacular amount but if all cars around the world had it, it may add up to a lot.
I know that the TC light on my car comes on quite a bit when the conditions become slick and with it, I see my fuel mileage gauge drop in liters/100.

Even with such a driving aid, a good driver is still a good driver and a great driver is still a great driver, or to put it more cynicallly, a great monkey driver is still a great monkey driver. I doubt the results of the last 5 years would have been much different without TC. MS and Alonso would still have dominated.
--------------------------------------------------------

waynes

G-Rock wrote:I think that it's a shame that they are banning TC.

With all the pressure put on F1 to be a leader in environmentally friendly/beneficial race technology, they are giving up a piece of technology that increases fuel mileage. Out of all the technologies of F1 they chose to take out the fuel saving one.

TC let's a car accelerate on the limit of adhesion without wasting fuel on wheelspin
fuel still goes into the cylinders, hence the bubbling noise and flames when the cars accelerate hard

or am i wrong?

Tom

True, TC will use almost the same amount of fuel, besides there are other ways of being more economical without dragging the sport into a dulldrum state of everyone just turning a wheel and putting their foot hard on the gas out of a corner.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

G-Rock

No, when the computer detects wheelspin, it starts cutting fuel to one injector at a time until the wheel regains traction. I could be wrong but I think it may even go as far as reducing fuel AND throttle to all cylinders at certain times, making it smoother until traction is regained. This traction may even be adjusted so that there is still a bit of wheelspin but this is adjusted to the drivers liking. We have to remember though, that a driver can fine tune how early the TC kicks in so a really good driver, to gain that tenth of second may adjust it more aggressively than a lesser driver so it's not as if TC lessens the need for a sensitive foot.

Fuel consumption is less with TC, any engineers willing to back me up out there?

I don't think that taking TC away will make life any more interesting. What's next, taking away semi automatics, I hear a lot of people talking about how great Senna was with a standard so maybe that will be next. Pretty soon you'll end up with a 1999 Champ/Indy car...

ginsu

I thought that TC cut spark and not fuel. Wouldn't it be difficult to meter the fuel rate so aggressively and for such a short duration of time?

I know they don't brake individual wheels like cheap ABS traction control systems do in most cars.

Anyway, it should be very good for the sport IMHO, and anybody that isn't left-foot braking yet better learn soon!
I love to love Senna.

rymagik

I think each of the teams has their own way of TC, whether it be cutting spark or managing fuel. In any case I don't know that TC would be a major factor in conserving fuel.

As far as those not left foot braking... I think Ruben's might have the biggest problem.. Look at his adjustment to Honda and lack of Ferrari TC and how long it took him to adjust.
Rotary Powered.

DaveKillens

If you decrease the fuel amount, I was under the impression that a lean mixture could have adverse effects on an engine. But cutting the spark just allows the raw fuel to wash through the combustion chamber, actually cooling that part of the engine. Also, I was under the distinct impression that TC was brutal and harsh on an engine. Cutting the spark could do that, while just metering the fuel would allow a less harsh environment.
But back to the subject, and the fact that the FIA will control the management system in order to conclusively rid us of TC. Suddenly the drivers could get into trouble exiting a corner, we should see a lot more rear ends get sideways (or worse). This would separate the men from the boys, IMO.

ds.raikkonen

gonna be tough w/o TC

Keeping things in check w/o TC is gonna be one hell of a task...whats the use of 750+bhp when there isnt anything to control it? drivers are now so dependent on TC that they have different settings of car for TC for every corner...controlled by the knob on the SW...plus due to RWD setup and not 4wd....dumping that much power to the wheels will take its toll..exit of the corner during pedal to the metal situation will require lot of effort and corrective measures
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

pRo

Re: gonna be tough w/o TC

ds.raikkonen wrote:Keeping things in check w/o TC is gonna be one hell of a task...whats the use of 750+bhp when there isnt anything to control it? drivers are now so dependent on TC that they have different settings of car for TC for every corner...controlled by the knob on the SW...plus due to RWD setup and not 4wd....dumping that much power to the wheels will take its toll..exit of the corner during pedal to the metal situation will require lot of effort and corrective measures
In other words, something might actually happen during a race. Isn't that a good thing? ;)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

ds.raikkonen

things are happening on the track even now.and they will keep happening forever.thats F1 for you dude.remember the 2003 Brazilian GP?almost 10 drivers spun off during the extremely wet GP..now picture that w/o TC... :shock: it ll be raining hell!
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

waynes

ginsu wrote:I thought that TC cut spark and not fuel?
thats exactly what i thought.

Fan Solo

I think the TC ban will be good, first off to prove driver skill & second it will be better to watch, F1 cars whilst amazingly quick show very little movement (other than where the driver wants it to go of course)when exiting a corner, no TC will hopefully mean we can see the cars squirming around as the power goes down :)

Personally I see nothing wrong with taking it away.

FS
MMIAFN

G-Rock

The last time they banned TC I was hoping for some more powerslides and pirouettes as well but I didn't see anything too different. One thing to note is that Ferrari was doing very well under the ban which led people to believe they were running a hidden system. It would be interesting to know whether their superiority was due to the TC or to MS's driving ability.

Next year it would be interesting to see how Alonso would do vs a chronic oversteerer like Raikkonen. Alonso always has tonnes of understeer dialed in which may be the safer way to go without TC.

The policing methods for the banned TC is kind of ridiculous though. Why don't they just ban drive by wire? That would eliminate any attempt at cheating by default.
ginsu wrote:
I thought that TC cut spark and not fuel?

thats exactly what i thought.
I don't think any engineer would waste fuel. Every ml fuel saved counts big time. All the system has to do is cut the electrical current of the injector to whatever cylinder has to be shut down. Very simple. If the fuel was dumped into the exhaust you would see a lot of flames.

waynes

G-Rock wrote: If the fuel was dumped into the exhaust you would see a lot of flames.
you need to look closer then my friend