No TC as of 2008!!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
G-Rock
G-Rock

Wayne, you're wrong and you know it.
The technology is there to cut fuel so why wouldn't a team use it?
--------------------------------------------------------

ginsu
ginsu

Wayne, you're wrong and you know it.
That isn't exactly the greatest way to prove your point. I think the argument is really that the fuel is guided by the velocity of the air through the intake. Because the fuel has momentum it cannot be 'switched off/switched on' at high speed. For accurate, and fast TC I don't think you can depend on injector timing alone. I can see that they would do both (cut spark AND fuel), but I don't think they only cut fuel.
But cutting the spark just allows the raw fuel to wash through the combustion chamber, actually cooling that part of the engine.
I think Dave has a good point here. Cooling the engine is probably a little more important than saving that micro-liter of fuel.
I love to love Senna.

fwa2500

G-Rock wrote:If the fuel was dumped into the exhaust you would see a lot of flames.
that, my friend, is what us aviation people call afterburner :lol: :wink:

ds.raikkonen

hey..afterburner means injecting fuel in the exhaust of the engine (obviously to increase thrust)...and not wash thru the combustion chamber....correct me if i am wrong
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Tp
Tp

G-Rock wrote:Wayne, you're wrong and you know it.
You're right.

The onboard management computer cuts fuel supply to an individual cyclinder and and reduce the power. That's why you hear that 'popping and banging' noise as the car accelerates out of the corner, it is merely having the odd cyclinder cut out to ensure that the rear wheels maintain traction at all times.

G-Rock
G-Rock

Quote:
But cutting the spark just allows the raw fuel to wash through the combustion chamber, actually cooling that part of the engine.

I think Dave has a good point here. Cooling the engine is probably a little more important than saving that micro-liter of fuel.
Why exactly would an engineer want to cool down one or two cylinders anyway, I thought the idea was to keep the whole engine as constant as possible. Once you start cooling down different parts of the engine you end up with distortion, fuel/air mixture problems. An engine should have equal temps throughout.

Getting back to the "fuel injector cut out debate", I'm not sure if some of you understand how modern fuel injectors work. In a modern EFI system, a common rail or tube is pressurized with fuel to 6000psi or more and attached to this rail are the injectors, each with it's own ball valve operated via a magnet. When the computer wants that injector to inject fuel, a current opens that ball valve for a millisecond and then cuts the current to close it again. This can happen as fast and as many times as you want it to, in fact in todays diesels, that can happen twice in one combustion episode to make the diesel engine quieter and more efficient.

To apply the same method to TC isn't really that big of a deal. Just cut the current to the injector while cutting the spark, thereby saving a few ML or Liters of fuel per race. A more advanced system of TC actually reduces fuel to all cylinders AND cuts the throttle correspondingly to make the whole operation smoother and less detrimental to the crankshaft.

ginsu
ginsu

Getting back to the "fuel injector cut out debate", I'm not sure if some of you understand how modern fuel injectors work. In a modern EFI system, a common rail or tube is pressurized with fuel to 6000psi or more and attached to this rail are the injectors, each with it's own ball valve operated via a magnet. When the computer wants that injector to inject fuel, a current opens that ball valve for a millisecond and then cuts the current to close it again. This can happen as fast and as many times as you want it to, in fact in todays diesels, that can happen twice in one combustion episode to make the diesel engine quieter and more efficient.
I do know how injectors work, my argument was that the fuel takes time to pass through the intake track because it has a velocity and a distance to travel. The spark plug has an associated time, but it is the speed of the flame front and the plug is already in the cylinder so the travel distance is small. Which do you think travels faster, the flame front or the fuel/air mixture?

And also, you kind of prove my point with diesel direct injection. Obviously, you have ALOT more control of the fuel when it injects directly into the cylinder. Unforunately, the fuel is not directly injected into the cylinder of an F1 engine.
I love to love Senna.

trinlico
trinlico

I've just been watching an old 1997 review of the year video and was amazed at how even on exiting the pitlane all the cars looked as if they were on the edge of losing the backend, especially in comparision to todays cars.

I think some kind of ban has to be a good thing

AeroGT3
AeroGT3

Banning TC isn't going to make the racing any more better . . . but it is removing one of the technologies that are being integrated into more and more roadcars . . .

bizadfar
bizadfar

ds.raikkonen wrote:things are happening on the track even now.and they will keep happening forever.thats F1 for you dude.remember the 2003 Brazilian GP?almost 10 drivers spun off during the extremely wet GP..now picture that w/o TC... :shock: it ll be raining hell!
2001 Malaysia. Enjoy 10laps behind the SC.
Fan Solo wrote:I think the TC ban will be good, first off to prove driver skill & second it will be better to watch, F1 cars whilst amazingly quick show very little movement (other than where the driver wants it to go of course)when exiting a corner, no TC will hopefully mean we can see the cars squirming around as the power goes down :)

Personally I see nothing wrong with taking it away.

FS
You will see more twitches and that's it i bet. Anyway depends on tires slip angles i beleive as much as anything else.
G-Rock wrote:The last time they banned TC I was hoping for some more powerslides and pirouettes as well but I didn't see anything too different. One thing to note is that Ferrari was doing very well under the ban which led people to believe they were running a hidden system. It would be interesting to know whether their superiority was due to the TC or to MS's driving ability.
I believe both Mclaren and Ferrari(and possibly all other teams) had TC like systems integrated into their ECUs.
G-Rock wrote:Next year it would be interesting to see how Alonso would do vs a chronic oversteerer like Raikkonen. Alonso always has tonnes of understeer dialed in which may be the safer way to go without TC.
Raikkonen has the special ability to straighten out corners (almost like MS). I was watching him onboard at monaco i hardly heard any TC coming out especially in slow corners.

G-Rock
G-Rock

True enough Bizadfar, I bet Kimi may even have his TC switched off for some of the sessions and stints during a race. Some say that to get the ultimate speed out of a car, that the TC has to be turned off or way down low.

bizadfar
bizadfar

G-Rock wrote:True enough Bizadfar, I bet Kimi may even have his TC switched off for some of the sessions and stints during a race. Some say that to get the ultimate speed out of a car, that the TC has to be turned off or way down low.
But at the same time you are getting more tyre wear. It could be a fraction quicker yes, but you can always control that with your foot somewhat, to minimize the level of TC. It also depends on the TC systems. Like Renault for example in Monza lets there be a 103% difference in wheelspin till TC kicks in. Little things like these. But you are right TC off has the potential to utilise that full 7xxbhp of the engine.

astsmtl

G-Rock wrote:True enough Bizadfar, I bet Kimi may even have his TC switched off for some of the sessions and stints during a race. Some say that to get the ultimate speed out of a car, that the TC has to be turned off or way down low.
Come on! Today computers are way better and precise than people. I think no one can beat ABS or TC or whatever else controlled by modern computer system. 8)

Saribro
Saribro

astsmtl wrote:Come on! Today computers are way better and precise than people. I think no one can beat ABS or TC or whatever else controlled by modern computer system. 8)
Oh please. Computers are better at arithmatic, that's all. As soon as we're talking about interpreting environment, assessing situations, making complex decisions and reacting to them, taking into account past, present and future conditions and continuity, a friggin' ant will beat any computer.

bizadfar
bizadfar

astsmtl wrote:
Come on! Today computers are way better and precise than people. I think no one can beat ABS or TC or whatever else controlled by modern computer system. 8)
Actually ABS computer systems are very "backwards". My friend in university encountered this in university where it was proven a professionally broken car is more effective than ABS. Because again ABS probably doesn't use the full potential. Keep in mind TC systems and ABS need to be tweaked very effectively, and they still are in F1. (you often see them talk about it sometimes... technical directors etc)