is f1 is crown jewel of motorsports?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Carlos
Carlos

It's no easy trick to get a big block with pushrods to rev to - what is it in NASCAR - 9000RPM? - over 500 mile races? I seem to remember that Imor won Indy with a pushrod engine over the DOHC motors, Coswoths I think at the time. Refining technology is quite a trick, sort of like the constant efforts in F1.

Edit - F1 is my favourite, just a sentimental fan.

Torso
Torso

with rew limiters u can forget about f1 as "pinnacle" of motorsport

Sawtooth-spike

Torso wrote:with rew limiters u can forget about f1 as "pinnacle" of motorsport
do you actualy know what it does?

i think almost every engine in ever race car has something that stops the engine from blowing itself up. They dont just keep reving forever you know
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Ray

Carlos wrote:It's no easy trick to get a big block with pushrods to rev to - what is it in NASCAR - 9000RPM? - over 500 mile races? I seem to remember that Imor won Indy with a pushrod engine over the DOHC motors, Coswoths I think at the time. Refining technology is quite a trick, sort of like the constant efforts in F1.

Edit - F1 is my favourite, just a sentimental fan.
If I'm not mistaken, the engines at places like Charlotte and Atlanta Motor Speedways rev to almost 10,000. I think they hit 9800 at least into turn 1 at Atlanta. Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me. They have so much technology into those pushrod V8's it's mind boggling. They make 800 or so horsepower out of 358 C.I.D.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

In 1994, as it had for a long time, the Indianapolis 500 had different engine regulations than for the rest of the CART series, ostensibly to encourage US manufacturers to enter and compete against the domination of British-built engines such as the Ilmor and Cosworth. These regulations allowed for 3.43 litre two valve pushrod engines, as well as CART's 2.65 litre four valve overhead cam engines. These 3.43 litre engines were largely production based. Ilmor saw an opening to build a motor specifically to win Indy under these regulations, by taking the pushrod regulations and building a racing engine. That engine, badged as a Mercedes, was placed in the Penske chassis, and saw Emerson Fittipaldi, Al Unser Jr and Paul Tracy dominate the 1994 Indy 500, with Little Al giving Mercedes its first modern Indy 500 win.
http://atlasf1.autosport.com/2001/jan03/jones.html
Horsepower: 800 @ 9,800 RPM
Technically it was a pushrod engine, but the cams were high on the heads and the pushrods were very short to minimize the valvetrain mass.

If you watched "Days of Thunder", that movie did a horrible disservice to NASCAR. The cars are designed with CAD/CAM and the chassis are constructed on jigs. Yes, the rules are very restrictive on technology, but with what the teams have to work with, it's as good as anyone. Despite having to utilize pushrod valvetrains on a two valve head and traditional V-8 OHV architecture, the valvetrain technology is right up there.

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

MotoGP rocks.....
F1 is full of pretty boys. The best way to become an F1 driver is to overdose on lavatives and see how long you can refrain from running to the mens or in f1's case...the ladies. This will help one cope with the G's they have to endure. Secondly....regular drives to the shopping centre without crashing (unless your related to shoemaker - then all you have to do is make sure no one else makes it to the shopping centre)....AAAAAANND presto....your an F1 driver....oh and zi cheque book and a good spy.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Welcome back Hudsonhawk, I see you haven't changed. Since F1 is so easy, I just wonder why you aren't driving in this series and collecting the big bucks.

chippa

gee hudson hawk you seem pretty confident that F1 is a breeze. Im gonna have to agree with Davekillans. Have you ever actually droven a F1, im not saying i have, but i think you would be a bit surprised. If your a 100% motoGp fan i wouldnt be baging any F1. I enjoy moto GP to but compared to F1 it can kiss my ass.

pRo

Last edited by pRo on 12 Apr 2007, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Carlos
Carlos

I agree - IMO Motorcycle Gran Prix can't be compared to F1 since Surtees and Mike the Bike were riders and crossed over to cars - which really highlighted the similarities of riders and pilots. Two very different sports nowadays. I always admired Hailwood and Surtees for crossing over to F1. - A racer is a racer, 2 or 4 wheels.

Surtees as a World champion in both and Hailwood as a wonderful driver and sportsman. I can't forget Ago, Phil Read or Paso - great riders. Ago also admired F1 and tried his hand. He went on to race cars for several years in other series.

1 Edit

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

Dave.
thanks for the warm welcome......its great to be back dribbling crap on this silly site.....just passing the time.....

chippa....
is this you and your ass ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOoWF3LqMQ

Tom

Ah that Horny Donkey cracks me up.

anyway Hudson, there's a topic you should take a gander at before you continue viewtopic.php?t=4146. But, and now you simply must understand that this post is in no way meant to be sarcastic as that's not the way we do things round here, surely if you consider
its great to be back dribbling crap on this silly site
then why are you wasting your time? This would be a great time to scratch my beard and muse but frankly my dear fellow I just had a shave so might I suggest you trot along with your randy donkey friend and keep us all peaceful round here?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

zender05
zender05

I'd say the jewel has lost some of it's luster.

However, F1 still makes me sit straight up in my chair, ignore everything else, and bring my heart rate up into the triple digits :). So I'll keep watching it. However, if the FIA drops 50% of the downforce and keep killing power, I'll have to stop watching. They'll make it a mockery of F1.

I just wish they found another way to make it more competitive. Keep the 900-950 bhp V-10's, give them enough aero to corner @ 3.5 g's, but keep the level hovering around there. The 2004-2005 era was fine to me as far as technology. I wish the FIA would find rules that would keep the cars hovering around that speed/power/cornering range.
Jesus loves ya!

Ray

Not trying to encite any animosity, but alot of F1 fans don't seem to know the history of other motorsports. Seems like most people think that history started when they were born. Alot of things that were done at Indy, for example, have paved the way for modern motorsports. The things that were tried there have trickled down through the ages and made their way into other forms of motorsport. I love F1, but it is by no means the only avenue advanced technology has come about.