is Lewis the best ever rookie?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

Re: is Lewis the best ever rookie?

icef1mkd wrote:I really need to know if someone before Lewis has had the same or similar results in his first two, three races?

thank you in advance
Sure. I may have already mentioned this in some thread here: Giancarlo Baghetti is the most succesful rookie ever. In 1962, he won the first two GPs in which he participated, at Syracuse and Napoli (those GPs did not count toward the WDC, as was normal in these days).

Then he won his first "real" GP at Reims-Guex, the French GP, becoming the only rookie that has ever achieved that. It is the only rookie to have achieved a hat-trick, of course, if you count his first two non-championship participations.

He then went to get a 4th and a 5th place at the Dutch and Italians GPs and then another 2nd place at (another non-WDC GP) the Mediterranean GP.

Next year he joined ATS catastrophic team with Phil Hill and he did not qualify in 5 starts. The following year he moved to Scuderia CentroSud and the best he achieved was a 7th place.

His career was over: he had a few more races with Brabham, Reg Parnell and Lotus (one with each one in 1965, 1966 and 1967) before a huge crash at Monza. He retired and became a photographer (for Playboy! :)) and a journalist. You can read the article I helped to write at Wikipedia, that says esentially the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giancarlo_Baghetti

The Forix.com article is more complete:

http://www.forix.com/8w/baghetti.html

Giancarlo Baghetti at French GP, running ahead of Porsches, with the only Ferrari "Shark Nose" and the famous Ferrari Dino V6 in the race, creating a statistical blip never equalled.
Ciro

manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:He retired and became a photographer (for Playboy! Smile)
Would you please illustrate his post-F1 career with a centerfold or two? :wink:

waynes

naknak_56 wrote:Also I live 10 min drive form Frome ( Jen's home town ) and the amount of coverage he gets in the local press is most annoying , and that adds to the rage i feel towards the guy!! lol
haha fair play mate BUT im a big JB fan and, although im not close to his hometown, i can believe that the hype is a joke, what else is there to talk about?

"break in at the local cricket club"

:D

Ciro Pabón

I already posted Danica Patrick photographs, Manchild. These could replace more than enough a bunch of siliconed girls at Playboy... I like her more than all the grid combined, as I've already stated. :lol:

Well, a last one, dedicated to those that bash american drivers and claim european ones are better... ;) :

Ciro

checkered

Ciro, I think Danica

is married ... yup, looked it up. But on the subject of Baghetti, since the issue came up, perhaps one of us should write Playboy and ask them to send a couple of representative examples of his work. As promotional material, see? I understand Hef is very meticulous when it comes to filing things away for future reference.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Ciro Pabón

checkered wrote:Ciro, I think Danica

is married ... yup, looked it up.
Well, I'm not that jealous, check. Married woman are more discrete... ;) if I may add without earning a chastising from Principessa (I'm going quickly into troubles here)

Besides, I like my wife more than her. In fact, I like my wife more than any woman in the world, including Hugh chicks. Well, I say more: I like my wife more than any woman in the world, specially more than Hugh chicks.
Ciro

waynes

danacia patrick is not my idea of hot

sorry girls ;)

manchild

Ciro typing: "Well, I'm not that jealous, check. Married woman are more discrete... ;) if I may add without earning a chastising from Principessa (I'm going quickly into troubles here)"

Ciro's wife enters the room

Ciro continues typing: "Besides, I like my wife more than her. In fact, I like my wife more than any woman in the world, including Hugh chicks. Well, I say more: I like my wife more than any woman in the world, specially more than Hugh chicks."

:lol:

Tom

I named one of my sheep Danica (It had to start with D because thats the letter on its side) but I don't find the sheep attractive. Honest.

I do like racer chicks, specially if they turn out to be smart and are capable of beating me (not a great challenge). Its just a shame the only one i know doesn't like me.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ciro Pabón

Well, waynes, Danica has no idea what she's missing... :lol:

Manchild: that's what I meant when I say "Married women are more discrete." They enter the room at the appropriate moment... ;)

Well, it's time to go back to the thread. For example, another good rookie was JPM... not that I'm influenced in any way. He got almost 10 poles by his second year and confronted Voldem... erm, this-who-shall-not-be-mentioned in his third race or so. ;)
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 15 Apr 2007, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

FLC
FLC

If his wife entered the room when he wrote that he wouldn't have wrote the word "like". It would most defiantly be "love"... :D

Ciro Pabón

I disagree, FLC. If I had wrote "I love my wife more than I LOVE other women", she could have grounds for divorce... and I wouldn't blame her. ;)

BTW, trinlico has a point: Chewie (full name: Chewmacca) Hamilton and Al-Han-so-lo in their Mcllenium Falcon are the only ones avoiding AniKimi JhonnyWalker commanding the galaxy without opposition. Jenson "Yoda" Button seems one of the defeated Jedis, along with Obi Juan Kenobi... :)
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 15 Apr 2007, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

Tom

Sounds like she's trying to find a reason to divorce you Ciro :wink:
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ciro Pabón

She may try but I'm not THAT easy to get rid off...
Ciro

DaveKillens

In the modern era, statistically, JV holds the bragging rights for the best rookie. And JPM sure came out of the box firing all rockets. I'm a huge fan of JV (being Canadian and thus biased), but this Lewis Hamilton impresses me all the way. Sure he's in one of the top cars. But he's gotten everything out of it, and hasn't made any bad blunders (yet).
Right now, so early in his career, I give him ten out of ten.

Sure the British press plays up the local hero, JV got his share of media applause here in Canada. Happens everywhere, even though the Brit press is rather tabloidish in just about everything. And I've heard it over and over again that when Lewis finally does have bad things happen to him, he will be emotionally shattered. I disagree, he's very professional and well prepared, and knows that it will happen sooner or later, and will handle it without much problem. McLaren are keeping Mika around just to give Lewis support and mentoring (that's why he's been around the races lately) and will guide this fabulous rookie through the battering the press will eventually inflict on him.

Dayum, that kid is good.