Spanish GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pRo

Spanish GP

No topic about this and the first session is already over? :shock:

Seems that the McLaren's new front wing is working, or Ferrari is covering their speed. Maybe a bit of both.

And Aguri 6th! (okok, I need to calm down, these times don't count :lol:)

Renault 14th and 15th. They say that a car that works here works everywhere. I guess the opposite is also true and a car that doesn't work anywhere doesn't work here either. :?

Some sites claim that the top layer of the McLaren's wing moved while driving and other teams might make noise about it. I didn't see the session and I can't seem to find any pics showing this. Has anyone seen them?

1. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1.21,880 22
2. Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes + 0,388 21
3. Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari + 0,411 19
4. Robert Kubica BMW + 0,566 21
5. Felipe Massa Ferrari + 0,685 15
6. Anthony Davidson Super Aguri-Honda + 0,785 21
7. Jarno Trulli Toyota + 0,860 28
8. Ralf Schumacher Toyota + 0,963 23
9. Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota + 1,168 28
10. Jenson Button Honda + 1,234 22
11. Alexander Wurz Williams-Toyota + 1,251 23
12. Nick Heidfeld BMW + 1,290 26
13. Takuma Sato Super Aguri-Honda + 1,436 22
14. Heikki Kovalainen Renault + 1,442 24
15. Giancarlo Fisichella Renault + 1,517 21
16. David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault + 1,548 21
17. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault + 1,564 21
18. Rubens Barrichello Honda + 1,599 23
19. Adrian Sutil Spyker-Ferrari + 2,074 25
20. Vitantonio Liuzzi Toro Rosso -Ferrari + 2,224 24
21. Scott Speed Toro Rosso -Ferrari + 2,299 19
22. Christijan Albers Spyker-Ferrari + 2,516 25
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Fan Solo
Fan Solo

Well, it is true Davidson likes to put himself up there on Fridays..... its still impressive whatever the others are doing, Aguri have had a lot of updates too so you never know... :)

My bets were placed yesterday.

Either Super Aguri in the points.
Kimi for pole. (he's been smiling all week apparently so I get the feeling he's gonna dissapear off into the distance)

Not done the winner yet but its either Kimi or Hamilton depending on the start imho.

FS
MMIAFN

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Not sure what has happened to Davidson in the second session. He is currently last after 26 laps.

FLC
FLC

Judging by the second practice session it seems that Renault are doing a lot better.

ds.raikkonen

Fan Solo wrote:Well, it is true Davidson likes to put himself up there on Fridays.....
Probably thats why he blew up the 'reliable' Honda engines last year during practice sessions
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

m3_lover

Renault admitted they did low fuel runs and are still behind BMW and maybe Toyota and Red Bull somewhere in the midfield battle.

I saw a picture of Lewis Hamiltons brother in a wheelchair..anybody have a story of what happen to his brother?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Ciro Pabón

Differences in Q3 continue to diminish.

Q1 and Q2 differences increased, compared with Bahrain: is fuel load less important at Spain, perhaps?
Ciro

Tom

I think fuel load here is vital as its very hard to overtake. Most position changes will be made in the pits so getting a car that can get on pole and pit without loosing the lead will be the aim, exactly how Alonso and Renault beat Schumacher last year.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

leomax
leomax

full marks to sato and dc.
Alonso blown it in the first corner..

modbaraban
modbaraban

the GREAT CIRCUS :roll:

- Kimi's car
- Massa's pitsotp
- Honda's coming together
- BMW.Sauber's lollipop man
- Scott Speed's Bridgestone
- Massa fighting a 'big black chewing gum' while holding the steering with his left had through the main straight

and more

Any sun eclipse today or something?

Fan Solo
Fan Solo

Eclipse or not my bet came in :) Go Super Aguri!!!!! Great drive Taku! :)

Wasnt quite expecting so many cars to retire but hey lol
MMIAFN

checkered

I'll second

modbaraban's summary and confusion. What was this, F1's amateur hour? After all the testing we got a race like this? Reminded me of Australia last year, a lot of thoroughly unnecessary mishaps that only someone who appreciates soap opera plotlines might appreciate.

Especially Ferrari seemed to teeter precariously on the edge of a total catastrophe. Just think what the situation would be like had Massa had to retire?! Schumacher maintains that his visit wasn't a distraction but I can't think of any other factor present at Montmelo that had the potential to throw Ferrari so off their game.

Luca Baldisseri said that the team was very pleased with Raikkonen's qualifying pace and race tactic, considering his fuel load and without the DNF he would have had a great race. I can't help but wonder whether a mechanic was just doing the wiring or the necessary checkups on Kimi's car's alternator connections (that fried later on) when MS put his head through the door and everyone rushed to meet and greet him?

Michael might very well have a lot to contribute to the team still. But after this weekend there sure are some serious questions as to how such assistance is most effective - and least disruptive. At this rate of performance, Ferrari can kiss the WCC goodbye.

Coulthard nursed an ailing car to finish fifth. That, for me, was among the brighter spots of the race. Rosberg also chased him with fury and ended up with his best finish, ever. Kovy wasn't very much on the pace with his Renault even despite the team's bungling of refueling (resulting in the surprising four stinters) and actually posted the fastest time in the third sector.

Now if they could only edge closer to Ferrari and Macca.

ds.raikkonen

even poor fisi was driving the wheels off his car to get past Sato's SA...but the car wasnt quick enough..sad for Renault...Massa's pit stop fire was scary..i thought he had it!..but he ultimately won...2 consecutive poles and wins? things are looking bright for Massa..
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

modbaraban
modbaraban

modbaraban wrote:- Massa fighting a 'big black chewing gum' while holding the steering with his left had through the main straight
Nobody reacted to this part, so I’ll draw so more attention. Was a piece of Speed’s tyre that got glued to the hot cockpit edge of Massa in closing stages? Anyone noticed that?

BTW, I never had much faith in Massa as a WC contender, but I must admit that it was a brilliant race by him. (he said he didn’t notice the fire :lol: )

Awesum performance by Uncle David. He needed about 1 or 2 laps to adjust to the 4-7 geared transmission and get back on his pace!

Wonderful job by both Nick (whose birthday race was ruined) and Kubica (at last).
I wonder why didn’t they stop Nick when it was clear that the Toyota mechanic had the screw-nut in his hand and Nick was moving slowly towards the pit lane exit full of doubt. I thought mechanics can operate anywhere in the pit lane zone :?

m3_lover

It was not from the tire it was something to do with the padding in the cockpit which is used for the marshall's to open the cockpit more easily so that they can get the driver out more faster in case of a emergency
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.