Setup wheels

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso

I have another question, of a different matter, but I dont want to create another thread.
Can anyone explain what the round "objects" on each wheel-end are ? And what purpose do they serve?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

tomislavp4

Just a tought :roll:
maybe they are weights that simulate the tyres weight when the mechanics are working on the suspension....

manchild

Those elements have same diameter as wheels and they enable mechanics to work on ride height & steering setup with greater precision.

modbaraban

manchild wrote:Those elements have same diameter as wheels and they enable mechanics to work on ride height & steering setup with greater precision.
OMG. I loled cos I thought it's a fake... like you know all that talks about races in 2004 when the red tram was always ahead :roll:

DaveKillens

manchild wrote:Those elements have same diameter as wheels and they enable mechanics to work on ride height & steering setup with greater precision.
Correct. To expand on this, imagine having to adjust for something like toe-in. Once upon a time this was done by having a mechanic roughly center the steering, and then use a tape measure between the wheel rims. But a Formula One car is a precision machine where a diffference of even one millimeter can affect performance. So what you see in the picture is the car on it's work stand, and a jig attached to the chassis. Then the wheel disks are attached to the suspension uprights. Adjustments such as toe-in, camber, castor, and everything else can be adjusted with precise, and repeatable results.
The wheel disks are not used for transport, they are attached only when the car is on it's work stand. Rolling a car around with those disks attached would scar and abrade the disks, negating the precision required.

mx_tifoso

DaveKillens wrote:
Correct. To expand on this, imagine having to adjust for something like toe-in. Once upon a time this was done by having a mechanic roughly center the steering, and then use a tape measure between the wheel rims. But a Formula One car is a precision machine where a diffference of even one millimeter can affect performance. So what you see in the picture is the car on it's work stand, and a jig attached to the chassis. Then the wheel disks are attached to the suspension uprights. Adjustments such as toe-in, camber, castor, and everything else can be adjusted with precise, and repeatable results.
The wheel disks are not used for transport, they are attached only when the car is on it's work stand. Rolling a car around with those disks attached would scar and abrade the disks, negating the precision required.
Thank you both for your mature and precise responses without sarcasm. I had seen those "disks" before, but I didnt have a legitimate reason/definition/use for them. Now I do, thank you very much. Another question, is their a specific name for them?
I'm always looking forward to learning.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MrT
MrT

They are called set up wheels. They are not confined to formula one and are used at most levels of motorsport these days.

manchild

Both questions asked in this topic are by no means "off topic hat" so please feel free to post them in Genaral chat. They're very much about technical side of F1.

Another tool for setup adjustments: