Mclaren Cheating !!??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tom

the Mclaren 3rd brake pedal was 100% legal when it was released in 1998, the FIA banned it in 1998 because it offered an advantage to one team over another and the FIA try to make it more even to keep viewing audiences. Just like the Brabham fan car it was legal when it was introduced and all its results stood, the FIA banned it as a result of Mclaren storming away in front, not before.
like f.i the mechanical TC = third brakepedal and their LC of 98-00
erm, IHA.
If McLaren has a fast car...it usually is illigal or at least a rule bending...
I missed you Torso :wink:
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

siskue2005

i am surprised , no one has talked about the front wing ?? :shock:
Maybe we should send the Gif file to Jean todt's email :lol:

Does anyone know why??

chasefreak

same here siskue2005 there is no word from any team on the mclaren wing flexing
very strange

siskue2005

can anyone give Technical inside view of that flexing wing?
how did they pass the test and what are the benifits?

zac510

I've just watched both the videos and saw that Gif on another forum.

I couldn't see jack --- apart from a whole lot of shadows and reflections of light on a grainy low res image. It is COMPLETELY inconclusive.

I think all of you lot are seeing flexing simply because you want to see flexing.

modbaraban

I don't get it. What's the point in making it flex while it doesn't generate much less drag. The mid part is very narrow and the angle.... c'mon... :?

what does it change?

Downforce

zac510 wrote:I couldn't see jack --- apart from a whole lot of shadows and reflections of light on a grainy low res image. It is COMPLETELY inconclusive.
I'v got to agree with this...I also didn't see anything...

tooshaggy

I am surprised it took so long for Autosport and the press to pick up on the flex. Steve Matchet (sic??) mentioned it during qually today. Wonder if old Mac will run the wing come race time???
It is fun to watch how the ones that called out ANYTHING they( read R.D.) did not like to the FIA reacts when their own design is suspect.

s91066

manchild wrote:
s91066 wrote:And I see that people who last year found all the regulations, explanations, videos, photographs and everything that could prove that Ferrari had a flexible wing, today, they say nothing...

Guys, the case is simple, I suppose. McLaren will race with that wing in Spain and FIA's reaction will follow, if any...
I said it was flexing on the previous page. I did rush into commenting without thinking and said that it flexes upwards because I didn't consider that car was breaking but I did say it is flexing.
I wasn't talking ONLY for you manchild. I noticed that you posted quite early, so the post is not for you... Simle facts: When Ferrari introduced the flexi wing, we faced a revolution! Now, all things are quiet. Do you know what I do hate? Ron Dennis. remember what he was saying last year....

s91066

modbaraban wrote:I don't get it. What's the point in making it flex while it doesn't generate much less drag. The mid part is very narrow and the angle.... c'mon... :?

what does it change?
Think about it as a second defuser...

Apex

Well I hate to say this but their wing is not the only one which flexes. During free practice you could see that the Ferrari wing also flexes.

I think we should just let it be and accept that the teams have found a way to circumvent the FIA's rules. Its only a matter of time before the FIA realises this and lets the teams do develop this technology, just like the introduction of TC...
Dont dream it, do it.

zac510

s91066 wrote:
modbaraban wrote:I don't get it. What's the point in making it flex while it doesn't generate much less drag. The mid part is very narrow and the angle.... c'mon... :?

what does it change?
Think about it as a second defuser...
Would you please kindly explain that?

FLC
FLC

I don't get it. Ferrari's front wing, at the beginning of last year, was flexing in about the same way. Almost everyone then had found it "obvious" from the same exact quality of videos with shadows and reflections, even tho back then it was easier to notice the horizontal movement and not the vertical one.
It's pretty easy to notice the flex since we've got a good relative point, which is the upper surface of the nose. The gap certainly closes.
Stop being hypocrite. What would you say if JT said this about the Ferrari wing: "You would all feel comfortable if you went and put your hand on it and gave it a good push(?!). No team has voiced any opinion(lie) and the FIA considers the whole thing well within the regulations. (from autosport)"? Wouldn't you be all over him by now? Being so arrogant? Common...

RH1300S

You know (IMHO) Ferrari's wing was flexing differently.

What we saw was the main plane drooping and that showed up with the upper elements separating from the nose. They covered the joins with little fairings so we could not see it anymore.

The wing may or may not have carried on flexing - it was just harder to spot and presumably the FIA (& everyone else) was happy.

In McLaren's wing - the main plane does not APPEAR to flex, but the middle part of the new "bridge" seems to dip under load.

As it is a very small element and possibly not producing much downforce/drag itself - whether this confers the same advantage as a flexing main element is debatable.

There does not seem to be an uproar amongst other teams - maybe they don't think the flex is something that is there to deliberately bleed off drag (unlike rear wings that tilt back - moving slot gaps etc. ;))

Yes it does flex - you can see it pretty clearly in the gif.

Is the main reason for the flex to bleed off drag? - Probably not.

Are they cheating? - Probably not.

Are the FIA happy? - It would seem so.....(unlike with the floor situation that many teams were exploiting - so they jumped on that straight away).

modbaraban

RH1300S wrote:Yes it does flex - you can see it pretty clearly in the gif.
Why not kindly post that gif here? :-s