extremly stupid question

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pompelmo
pompelmo

extremly stupid question

what's the diference between traction and grip??
i think i have an idea..but i'm mot sure..
ok here it goes

Grip: the koeficient (k in F=k N, N-normal vector) that tells you amount of force when the solid body start's to skid..
Traction: koeficient that tells you the amount of force you have to drag the solid body on the ground

usualy: Traction<grip
am i right??

manchild
manchild

Traction is ability to distribute drivetrain power to surface so it is only discussed when rear wheels are in question. Grip is universal category for both front and rear wheels.

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

So on a 4WD car traction and grip are the same thing?

I would have thought traction has to do with the amount of friction in the direction the wheel is turning, and grip is the amount of friction sideways?

scarbs
scarbs

I think steve is about right,
Grip is direction and wheel independant i.e. it can be for cornering or braking or accelleration front or rear .
The term traction is commonly used for accelleration, although more correctly it includes braking, hence it is longitudenal grip. grip for cornering is referred to as lateral grip.

Curiously tyre development can be aimed at either longitudenal or lateral grip. some elements of construction, tread and compound are better for one vector or the other .

Scarbs...