10000 rpm only!?!?!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
enkidu

Possible yes or they could build cracking engines that can last as full power for 5 races.......?? I think as long as they stop punishing the drivers for changing engines and punish the teams like they should have when the stupid 2 race rule came in then it might work??

m3_lover

The only time teams change engines is when something is wrong with the unit, I can hardly see any team changing engines for some strategy effect with the exemption of starting in the low 20's and switching engines, but nothing in the top 10 as this would compromise there fuel levels in the car.

I do believe Flavio mentioned this/last month, that after the last pit stops that nobody watches the race that intensely because the positions have been made up and the gaps are big enough that most cars are just cruising to the end and not wreck a engine or smash/spin there car
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

enkidu

very true.... but do you think that its due to the 19k rpm that the engines don't last?? 10k with some boost they probably will be almost bullet proof for 5 races??? With road cars its the rpm that shortens life.... Boost usually is safe once engine is warmed up etc.... Just my thoughts anyway

persovik

Are you all missing the point that the proposal is for a biodiesel?
So the rev limit is more or less meaningless since it's hard to get diesels to produce any kind of usefull power beyond 6000 rpm.
It is a rather silly exercise though, just following the general trend in politics, where politicians suddenly become aware of something the rest of us have known for thirty years, and then adopting the first shortsighted solution that comes along.

enkidu

persovik wrote:Are you all missing the point that the proposal is for a biodiesel?
So the rev limit is more or less meaningless since it's hard to get diesels to produce any kind of usefull power beyond 6000 rpm.
It is a rather silly exercise though, just following the general trend in politics, where politicians suddenly become aware of something the rest of us have known for thirty years, and then adopting the first shortsighted solution that comes along.
It wont be diesel... It'll probbaly be bio-butanol which is the fuel of the future. It has a very high ron rating etc....

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2006/05 ... tanol.html

persovik

It wont be diesel... It'll probbaly be bio-butanol which is the fuel of the future. It has a very high ron rating etc....

Hmmm... you might be right, because I haven't seen any official confirmation that it was indeed biodiesel Max was talking about.
But 2.2 litres V6, that doesn't make much sense when it would certainly be much easier for the current manufacturers to go to 1.8 litres if they were to remove another two cylinders.
Last edited by persovik on 23 May 2007, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.

modbaraban

enkidu wrote:It wont be diesel... It'll probbaly be bio-butanol which is the fuel of the future. It has a very high ron rating etc....

I think it's not Ron or Flav but rather Max rating is vital in this case.

Ian P.

To Turbo Or Not...

My comment on the "wide spread" use of turbos relates mostly to the area I live in... Cabada.
Here the only commonly available Turbo cars ar the hot Subarus, VW diesel and gas models and a few other small quantity models. No Volvos, no Vauxhalls, no Renaults and very few (if any) turbo BMWs. Remember this is a land of automatic transmissions. Nuf said.
M-M's plan will not extend to diesels as he will almost certainly ban direct injection (has already in the current engine formula).
When he refers to bio fuels, I believe this follows what was proposed after the 2006 season. That was to get the cars running on a minimum 10% bio mix. This could be ethanol or a hugh range of organic componuds.
If he thinks this will bridge the gap to Rod-Car-Relavavce he is as deluded as normal.
There must be labs full of chemists trying to make exotic "organic based" fuels specifically for F1. Hogh RON, low density, fast evaporation ....
As for widespread use of diesels in North America..... don't bet on it. The EPA is pretty much on track to kill this off.
Back to the Toyota technical presentation... his prediction was that the environmental fallout of the subsidizing (not specifically correct, just tax concession) of diesels in Europe will end and the push will be back to gasoline engines primarily for environmental reasons.
Have you made your investment in eurea supplyers yet....??
man I hate longposts....
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

m3_lover

How is the EPA going to kill this off when they introduced new low sulfur diesel gas in the U.S.A? If they were going to kill diesel's in the states wouldn't it be in there best interest to not bring new gas.

Also in Europe, gas is very expensive compared to North America where most cars being sold in Europe (diesel equipped) have better fuel economy then a regular gasoline gas engine.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

pRo

It's just typical Mosley and we've all seen this before several times. ;)

Say he wants to lower the rpm to 17k. He'll propose 10k and in the end he "settles" for 17k. He got what he wanted and a nice media attention on top of that. And the teams must feel like they achieved something, cause they got 17k instead of 10k.

Max is smarter than he often seems. ;)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

modbaraban

pRo wrote:Max is smarter than he often seems. ;)
That’s what scares me. He's being successful in introducing his mad ideas. :x

Tifoso

Is there a minimal possiblitie of writing a complaint letter to the FIA? :oops:

Sawtooth-spike

Patition maybe?

I wonder how many peoples names and email address we could get
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

onon

i think f1 shoud not forget its fans, people who watch formula 1.

as one of the mclaren guys said, "f1 one already contributes to environment, around 200 million people during weekend stay home and watch tv, which means 200 million people around the world are not driving cars" i think its true. i am not sure about the numbers, but i think its close.

anyways, i hope they will not introduce this idea.

tomislavp4

Let´s do something, I´m in whatever it is.... :evil:

We can ask other forums for help also, together, I think we could get quite big number of people :roll: