F1Technical online storage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ketanpaul

F1Technical online storage

I was wondering can we have an official F1t online storage system since many of us regularly download GPs and other F1 stuff. I'm sure many of us have the capability to upload F1 GPs and other documentaries that come on the TV. We could even upload GP2 races, classic short videos (senna etc).
I was thinking we could have a F1T account on a place like http://www.gigasize.com which offers 1.5 GB storage and the uploaders can regularly upload GPs etc and after about a week or somethin, we could upload something else.
I would welcome more suggestions about different sites but first let Tomba or Principessa finalise this. I think this could be a really nice thing :lol: :lol:

checkered

Well, to point out

the obvious: When even P2P networks continue to exist in a legal grey area I think it is hardly wise or prudent for F1T to promote, let alone accommodate distributing copyrighted material online. While that activity can be carried out with near certain impunity in some parts, that is hardly the case everywhere. For the time being, we will have to contend with Formula 1 barely existing officially online in its current form. Maybe, in time, some high ranking F1 operative will see the light and start streaming the sport live online, for free in some basic version or as a part of some innovative new media scheme (Joost?).

Until then, innocuous Formula 1 fans exchanging snippets of material in their enthusiasm run the risk of disproportionally adverse consequences, while it is conceivable that the current situation (if it persists) might also make more serious piracy very viable. Not to mention legally quagmirish developments like peercasting which, given enough time to develop in the absence of official F1 media development, might end up effectively voiding any attempts to have a meaningful F1 online presence later on. I know of some licenced broadcasters experimenting with pay-per-view streaming, but all examples I've seen are basically seriously outdated, unimaginative or seem hardly viable at all.

TV as we know it is history. F1 needs a thorough rethink about their distribution partners. The F1 manufacturers have to be reminded about their commitment to keeping the sport free to view, as the content is basically, among other things, a multi-layered commercial presentation. And it will be a cold day in hell until I'm prepared to pay for commercials both in the price of products and for viewing them, too. But, no, currently I see no reason to risk F1T or any of its participants by suggesting that any of us should be a part of some file sharing scheme.

ketanpaul

I actually did expect that, but I think if we just have a sharing system and members are free to upload whatever they want, and if we add a disclaimer that F1t is not responsible for what its members put up, I think it could work. Because members can upload and download whatever they want, it happens everywhere man :lol: :lol: