Humble and Important REQUEST

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Humble and Important REQUEST

My dear fellow members,

I have been trying for months now to find a decent picture of the famous (or should I say infamous?) Saudia Williams Ford pit board shown at the Brazilian GP of 1981 held at Jacarepagua, Rio de Janeiro, saying "JONES-REUT" when Reutemann was leading, therefore ordering him to let Alan Jones past.

Can someone PLEASE help me to find a photo of the sign?

I welcome every help I can get and I hope I can be of service, in case any of you has a similar request.

Thank you in advance to all of you.

Ciro Pabón

Well, welcome, extremely welcome to the forum. I am sorry, I don't have THAT picture, but I know where I saw one of Reutemann holding in triumph the sign, inverted at the end of the race:

The disobedient magnificent (in spanish)

El Gráfico, in spanish, wrote:
I didn't see a thing, I didn't see a thing

In the box, surrounded by journalist and while his faithful squire Neil Oatley was listening, Reutemann said:

- It was a extremely hard race. I pushed to the maximum all the race. The car was perfect.

- Did you know that Jones was close?

- No, I never saw Jones.

- Did you see the signs telling you that Jones must be the winner?

- No, I did not see anything

- Really? That seems hard to believe.

- I did not see absolutely anything, my visor was fogged.

- Did the pressure behind you bothered you at any time?

- No, not at all. I know that Jones came closer when I met Rosberg ahead. It was a torment to overtake him. However I escaped both after that. I had the situation fairly under control.
After searching for a few minutes for "Jones-Reut cartel" (in spanish) I found a THUMBNAIL, where, as Lole Reutemann, I do not see anything... :)

And, after searching for a few more for "Jones-Reut cartel foto", I got something like what you need:

I take your nice offer of doing a similar service. Could you help me with this one?

I've been searching for months for a copy of Barrichello and Schumacher radio talk with Brawn at the end of Austria 2002... :lol:
Ciro

manchild
manchild

Can anyone translate this from Portuguese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6ToUCbvZ0

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Ciro Pabón, thank you very much for the photos, I can't thank you enough!

As a thank you note, I'll share this photo, back in 1982 when team orders couldn't be carried out by radio!

Imola 1982

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

manchild wrote:Can anyone translate this from Portuguese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6ToUCbvZ0
RUBENS
(...) People thought I was being stubborn, the fact was that I HAD to be stubborn and make a fuss about it (Austria), otherwise I'd be another Eddie Irvine.The race in Austria showed how the F1 world works.And the worse part is that there is nothing written on my contract about this or that.

JOURNALIST
Remember a few years back you also let Schumacher through.You were running in 2nd place, Schumacher was 3rd and you let him through.

RUBENS
Yes I do.And at the time I had a meeting with the team and they ASSURED me that if the fight was for the lead that they wouldn't ask me to let him through

JOURNALIST
Let me get this straight.You were fastest all weekend long,you were on pole,you recorded the fastest lap.We were on race 6 of the championship,therefore it had no real importance in the championship maths at that stage.

RUBENS
Exactely,the point difference was 44 to 6.

JOURNALIST
I thought to myself during the race "Hmmm,considering that they asked Rubens to move aside last year I bet that they won't ask him to do that again,especially when he is leading"...Guess again!

RUBENS
After that,people came to me and said "Wow it was really nice of you to give up that race win,especially in the way you did, etc etc...What most people don't know is that it was an 8 lap fight...I went to the final corner of the last lap with my mind made up,and that I wasn't going to ease back.

JOURNALIST
Then why did you?

RUBENS
I don't know.Honestly,someday I'll write a book on the subject!

JOURNALIST
So,how do you feel inside the team?Do you think it's the end of the line for you at Ferrari?

RUBENS
No question about it.I don't have anything to progress to.I'm sidelined.

JOURNALIST
So, can you be "fired" for the next race?

RUBENS
Theoretically speaking, on paper, no I couldn't.

JOURNALIST
So,you will leave the team at the end of the year?Because if you can't be fired on paper,you could spend the rest of the season just going to the races,enjoying the life in the paddock and whatnot.They would still pay you.

RUBENS
Yes I could.But it's just one of those things,I didn't know what to do.At that time (the time he had to decide to comply with the team's request or not), there was only me, God, and my judgement of what to do,going at over 300kph.And I was thinking "What am I going to do?"
I didn't have a phone to ring my father and ask for advice, I didn't have my wife to ask for her opinion on the subject, I had nothing!

JOURNALIST
Did you confront the team with this situation?Did you ask them why they had asked you to allow Schumacher to win?

RUBENS
Yes I did.I said "listen,why did this happen,especially when last year you assured me that this would never happen?"
It was a very difficult,awkward and tough moment.
Afterwards people were all like "I wouldn't have let him past!!!", but...
Long story short, looking back at these last couple of years...

JOURNALIST
Sorry to interrupt but you didn't answer us about what was the team's answer when you confronted them with the situation

RUBENS
I was pretty pissed off,naturally.It was an awkward situation because everybody knew this situation was like a time bomb.And what I had to face was the decision to explode or to leave the room.

JOURNALIST
But was it with anyone in particular?Ross Brawn or Jean Todt?

RUBENS
With everyone!

JOURNALIST
Next thing you knew it you would have Luca di Montezemolo on the phone!

RUBENS
But seriously what I find just not understandable is that I have the winners trophy at home, the team paid me like I had won the race...But that moment showed to the world that it was personal.It helped people to open their eyes.

The translation is mine, and portuguese is my mother language.Although the brazilian accent and vocabulary is a bit different from the classic portuguese,therefore it might be incorrect in what one or two words are concerned but the true meaning of the answers and questions is here.
Hope I helped!

manchild
manchild

Thanks a lot!

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

I take your nice offer of doing a similar service. Could you help me with this one?

I've been searching for months for a copy of Barrichello and Schumacher radio talk with Brawn at the end of Austria 2002... :lol:
I'm on it!
Ciro pabón, are you looking for it in what format?Audio,text?

Thanks once again!

manchild
manchild

F1 Observer wrote:

I'm on it!
Ciro pabón, are you looking for it in what format?Audio,text?

Thanks once again!
I think Ciro is joking. Am I wrong? I mean the audio and video link is here on the forum for months if not years.

EDIT:

I think someone is trying to clear dirt of someone's past. That clip was on youtube for a long time (just as hundreds of other f1 clips) but by the request of FOM it was deleted from youtube
youtube wrote:This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management
How come that FOM isn't claiming rights to hundreds of other F1 clips much older or much newer than this clip from 2002 is? :?

As they did in Fahrenheit 451 I've learned it (almost). Jean Todt said something like "Rubens, let Michael overtake you for the championship"

zac510
zac510

manchild, lots of clips are getting taken off by FOM, not just Ferrari clips.

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

manchild wrote:Thanks a lot!
Anytime Manchild :)

Ciro Pabón

manchild wrote:I think Ciro is joking. Am I wrong? I mean the audio and video link is here on the forum for months if not years.
Yes, I am. Sorry, F1 Observer... :)
Ciro

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Ciro Pabón wrote:
manchild wrote:I think Ciro is joking. Am I wrong? I mean the audio and video link is here on the forum for months if not years.
Yes, I am. Sorry, F1 Observer... :)
No problem Ciro Pavon...I thought you were serious because I have found a lot of unlikely stuff on the internet! :D

modbaraban
modbaraban

F1 Observer wrote:
thanks for the translation, man. That was very interesting.

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

modbaraban wrote:
F1 Observer wrote:
thanks for the translation, man. That was very interesting.

Glad I could help!

If you ask me, Rubens got a bit carried away on that interview...He was still clearly upset with the whole situation, and being in his home country interviewed by his countrymen led him to say things that, IMHO, he wouldn't say in english to an international TV channel/newspaper.

Not that he wasn't right to say them :D

checkered

Of course, the radio

conversation could've also gone something like this:

Pit wall: "Rubens, let Michael overtake you for the championship."
Rubens Barrichello: "Check, don't let Michael overtake, it'll ruin the championship."

(a short, but surprised pause ensues)

Pw: "Eh? Rubens ... please clarify. Pull over, let Michael past you."
RB: "Check, full power, lest Michael passes me."

(surprised pause, some nervous chatter in the backround)

Pw: "Rubens, listen carefully ... relinguish your position to Michael, now!"
RB: "Yes, I feel real anguish for Michael's position, too ... but do we have to discuss that, I'm about to WIN?!"

(sounds of commotion in the backround, some undecipherable high pitch german words followed by a decidedly upset but unmistakably singing tone of a french accent responding ... breaking static as the tangent of the headphones is pushed and released repeatedly in a bit of a frenzy)

RB: "Is everything OK, I think you're breaking up? Oh th.. .. .n the ba. ..w, I'm he.... ..wards th. ..st cor..."
Pw: (shouting in desperation now) "Rubens, Rubens?! Can you read me!! Rubens?!"
RB: "... and I'm over the finish line now! Yeehaa!! Thanks for the team, great job y'all, I knew you'd come through for me, I can't thank you enough ... Great job!! Obrigado!!"

(a short but complete silence falls on the connection, but then a shaking voice picks it up)

Pw: "Well done, Rubens, well done ..."

:wink: