Windscreen wipers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mike Cook
Mike Cook

Windscreen wipers?

Hi,

Please help me settle an office "debate".

Do F1 cars have windscreen wipers? I'm under the impression that they don't, and that's why the drivers have tear-offs on their visors. However, a colleague (who has a friend that works for McLaren, dontcha know) claims that they have wipers on the tiny little windscreens. Surely this is ridiculous, but am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Saribro
Saribro

Is this supposed to be funny? Or am I about to get disappointed by humanity -again- and are people really -that- stupid?
Wipers on a 2cm edge of plastic... It's not even worthy of a joke.

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

It appears that my colleague became confused between the McLaren F1 and McLaren's F1 car (the MP4-22).

So... yeah. Thanks.

Saribro
Saribro

Ah, one of those discussions. Yes, makes one feel like a donkey afterwards regardless :).

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Hi Mike, welcome to THE forum. Well, I've seen worse, and there is no shame in asking, that's how we learn. There are no such things as dumb questions.

Ciro Pabón

DaveKillens wrote:Hi Mike, welcome to THE forum. Well, I've seen worse, and there is no shame in asking, that's how we learn. There are no such things as dumb questions.
... but this question is really close to be one... :lol: I choose to believe that was a practical joke by your partner.

I would answer to your buddy that you learned they, in fact, DO have tiny windscreen wipers in F1 but they are NOTHING compared with the even smaller, tinier water pumps and tubes that they put on helmets to wet the visor, before using the wipers... :)
Ciro