the New F1 Site

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
basrawi

the New F1 Site

What do you think??

http://www.formula1.com
M Basrawi

Sawtooth-spike

dont like it,

its looks wrong, its looks like a fan site, not the offical F1 website.

Tomba go have a word with them, so them how to make a good f1 site.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

ss_collins

borrowed the GP2 web design then...

The old site was really good - whens the next race? click there you go...

JimmyK

I quite like it tbh. I always thought the old one was a bit poor.
Now that I've found the tech analysis :)
Though that vote thing doesn't work for me.

Saribro

Oh god no, not one of those total crap disaster sites again :(.
The w3c-validator even throws this: "Result: Failed validation, 152 errors"
Utter failure in design, utter failure in coding... Bets on how long till content starts failing?
*sigh*

Steven
Owner

ss_collins wrote:The old site was really good - whens the next race? click there you go...
Sorry but I didn't like the previous one at all, half the screen was empty with the articles on just one fifth of the page. Just stupid.

The new one is far better in that regard, but I don't like the colours and all those stripes, drives me a bit nuts and wouldn't want to surf it for more than 5 minutes.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread so maybe I can avoid things you don't like for the update here ;)

@Sawtooth: thanks man!

manchild

Their web designer must have sniffed whatever it was in Ferrari tank.

Content is much better but design is like "Fast and furious" kind of fan site.

:sick:

blackpower96

Probably one of the worst web sites design I've ever seen. The content is better but the looks are terrible. :sick:

checkered

ss_collins wrote:borrowed the GP2 web design then...
That was my first impression, exactly! And looking at the proposals for "2011 and beyond", btw, there's a concerted effort to "borrow" something more substantial than mere website design ... a sign of things to come, perhaps?

This is pretty much window(s) decoration, though ... as long as the Formula 1 audience business strategy is mainly based on exclusive regional TV deals, or some idiotic offspring of mainly passive TV technology, there really isn't much they can do with their web presence. It's too full of possibilities and opportunities to comply with the kinds of deals that TV franchising requires. Leafing through the "new" site quickly, I didn't get the impression that they'd be gearing up for a change in that regard.

Which is a pity. For all the talk about "road going car relevance", people should be taking a long hard look at "technology relevance" and all its implications. I've almost given up watching TV already myself, the online environment beats the heck out of being a couch potato. If F1 fails (has failed) to recognize the profound differences between the two, someone most certainly will. Very exciting racecars can be designed and built for much less than what takes place in F1, even if it the concept isn't a single make series. There is an abundance of unused track capacity, and quality track capacity at that, thanks to Bernie's drive to get to new markets and the temporal limitations of an F1 calendar.

The first serious open wheel racing series streaming their races live over a service like Joost, with a well thought out and all-fan-participatory interactive web presence, with creative advertising will make a heck of an impact. If F1 thinks it can ever be safe from that, or coming in as the second or third player, it's just begging to be ignored.

There's just too much money to be made.

Tom

I have no strong feelings about the site, but the video at the top, its all from 2006, we're half way through the most action packed year of the decade, surely they must have some modern footage!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Tp
Tp

Its alot better than the old one, but thats not saying much

mini696

Still has the same crap as the old one, just prettier.

tomislavp4

I kinda get used to the old one :) but this one is better I guess :D

m3_lover

It is like a mid cycle refresh on a three year car. Just make it look a little different and prettier but it still has the same engine and assorted machinery
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Spencifer_Murphy

The design isn't great, I think aesthetically the old one was better. BUT overall I prefer this design as it allows room for far more information.

And on the whole I quite like it.

Besides I come HERE for all my F1 discussions and news, and maybe a little bit on ITV-F1. So formula1.com really isn't all that important. Now if Tomba decided on a design like that for F1technical.net, then I might be a little bit more worried lol.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.