How does Honda "paint" their F1 cars?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dp35
dp35

How does Honda "paint" their F1 cars?

Because Honda claims to include pixel sized intitials of contributors to their cause on the earth livery of their F1 cars, I assume the cars aren't painted.

So how do they apply the livery to the cars?

Carlos
Carlos

Welcome to the Forum dp35. Your right of course - it isn't painted on - basically it's a decal - well probably several - graphics on a thin layer of plastic with an adhesive backing - look through the Forum index - there have been several discussions - survey the article section - also the developement section and you have 3 outstanding areas for research :wink:

Once again - Welcome

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

If you go onto Honda's website there is a video showing you exactly how they print and apply the decals, rather interesting really. Basically they use a huge inkjet printer and a hair dryer lol.

BTW, I got an email from Honda today saying that my name was on their car, in size 4 print and that it is visible to the naked eye close up. This is the first time they have done this (for the French Grand Prix)

modbaraban
modbaraban

Steve Wilson wrote:BTW, I got an email from Honda today saying that my name was on their car, in size 4 print and that it is visible to the naked eye close up. This is the first time they have done this (for the French Grand Prix)
I though these were prayers :lol:

Tom

I got this yesterday.
YOUR NAME IS ON THE CAR!

Dear myearthdreamer

We have exciting news! Your name will be on the Earth Cars at this weekend’s Grand Prix in France.

Your name will be in 4pt so it’s clearly visible with the naked eye close up, but our clever designers have applied them in such a way that our beautiful artwork still looks the same from a distance.

We have put all the names in columns and like to call it our ‘Roll Call of Environmental Honour’.

In the last few weeks we have made some changes to myearthdream. The biggest change is that we have decided to make donations to the myearthdream Trust optional. The main aim of this is to allow children to make pledges and be part of the project without having to use a credit card, but it also allows us to run competitions all over the world to get more people involved in saving CO2 and saving the planet.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

siskue2005

Yeah i got an email too
i once registered in their site!
is that the reason
Cool how can i know, where is my Name :)

m3_lover

if you download speed's coverage of the U.S GP they had a whole 8 minute segment on how the decals were applied to the honda car..really interesting. Mostly all Nascar COT cars used Decals compared to painting them
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Militia Est Vita

I got the email last week =D.

In reference to the decals, I was walking through the pitlane in Canada after the race finished back in 2005 and I got a couple of shots of one crew memeber removing the 'Team Spirit' decals with some sort of spray. I'll try to post that photo shortly :)
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.