Y.A.M.A.M.O.T.O

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens

Hmm, Spyker is in need of a driver with lots of sponsorship behind him. Hmm, Jos ''The Boss'' Verstappen anyone?

joseff

Ew, no.

Come on, bring on the new kids. Jeroen Bleekemolen, Giedo van de Garde? Even Tung Ho Pin (Yes, he's Dutch).

dumrick

modbaraban wrote:
vs331 wrote:More than half of F1 drivers are there not really coz of their exceptional driving talents :). JB, DC, Trulli,.. the list goes on. These are just average drivers, who sponsors also like and they make up the numbers. DC stayed that long at macca mainly coz he was sponsors' darling. IMO Karthikeyan is also one of these kind of drivers and if he can bring in the money then he deserves the drive.
This statement about JB, DC and Trulli is rather doubtful to say the least :roll:
That part is doubtful and to put Narain in the same group is outright ridiculous...!!!

dumrick

joseff wrote:Ew, no.

Come on, bring on the new kids. Jeroen Bleekemolen, Giedo van de Garde? Even Tung Ho Pin (Yes, he's Dutch).
I think this sums up the reason why Spyker will never make it: this kind of nationalist reasoning (that I hear of Mr. Mol also, concerning sponsors and drivers) makes Spyker Netherland's Ligier... and to make business decision based on biased judgements is a long-term death-sentence for a company.

checkered

Now I see

the name of Roldán Rodríguez has been added to the potential drivers' list. I really can only understand a bit here and there, maybe someone can help with the translation ... http://www.racefreaks.nl/news_managemen ... leid=18434 . But he's Spanish (albeit Netherlands has a lot of common history with Spain - perhaps that's "close enough").

wowf1

One name needed only I think: Klien

kurtiejjj

dumrick wrote:

I think this sums up the reason why Spyker will never make it: this kind of nationalist reasoning (that I hear of Mr. Mol also, concerning sponsors and drivers) makes Spyker Netherland's Ligier... and to make business decision based on biased judgements is a long-term death-sentence for a company.
Don't say that, that's ridiculous! Mclaren is british and also had a lot of british drivers, Hunt etc. and now hamilton! And they made it, didn't they? So why not spyker? Money is money and it doesn't matter where it comes from, and they also have investors from middle-east. Dutch sponsors are interested in sponsoring spyker because all eyes in holland are on Spyker (well sort of!)

However I do think Mr. Mol is making an absolute mess of Spyker now he is the CEO + 'commercial director' of the F1 team. I would rather have Victor muller back at the wheel, he maybe a smooth-talker but he does now what he's doing. I don't get that impression of rich kid Michiel Mol who's daddy stuck a lot of money in his company Lost boys, which didn't do to well a few years ago, unlike victor muller who is a self-made man by truning around a shipping company Wijsmuller and clothing company Mc Gregor.

Share price has halfed since Mol came in and with the F1 team there seem to be quite a view 'rows'. He alledgedly doesn't speak to victor muller, anyway it's a mess, and they should sort it out before another car/F1 manufacturer goes under. Remember Monteverdi?

dumrick

kurtiejjj wrote:
dumrick wrote:

Don't say that, that's ridiculous! Mclaren is british and also had a lot of british drivers, Hunt etc. and now hamilton! And they made it, didn't they? So why not spyker? Money is money and it doesn't matter where it comes from, and they also have investors from middle-east. Dutch sponsors are interested in sponsoring spyker because all eyes in holland are on Spyker (well sort of!)
Hey, I wasn't saying that a dutch team can't have a dutch driver. I was comparing to Ligier because I understood you suggested that someone would be a good driver for the team because he was dutch.
For your comparison to make sense, Hunt and Hamilton (and you cannot find that many british McLaren drivers, can you? :wink: I help you - Watson, Mansell, Couthard) would have to be chosen because of their nationality. Even though their quality may be debatable - well, none was really that bad.
Concerning the drivers you mentioned, which would be your reasoning beside nationality? Bleekemolen's career is heading somewhere else that not F1, for sure. And I'm still to understand the hype about van de Garde, besides his sponsorship money and his girlfriend. Come'on, relying on the World Series classification, there are at least 10 better drivers there. http://www.renault-sport.com/en/world_s ... ement2.php. By the way, two of them are portuguese :wink:

Sorry, but the only comparison I can really think about is Ligier - the use of national colours in the cars regardless of sponsors, the desire to have national sponsors and that feeling of being "the national team"...
kurtiejjj wrote:Remember Monteverdi?
Oh, yes, I do. http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/onyx/profile.html

joseff

Come on, don't knock Ligier. They had wins! Prost GP, on the other hand...

Anyhow the reason I suggested those names is because it's been obvious from the beginning that they're going to have at least 1 dutch, and when Albers gets the boot, it follows they're going to want another dutch.

Bleekemolen: come on, he can't be driving Porsche supercup forever. Didn't he come in as a replacement driver in Monaco? I remember he was quite good in A1 last year. And Tung, didn't he get a day with Williams a couple of years back? He'd make an excellent pay driver with Chinese sponsors.

modbaraban

Yamamoto to replace Albers :shock: -> :o -> :) -> :D -> :lol: -> :? -> :-k

Spyker MF1

modbaraban wrote:Yamamoto to replace Albers
:shock: :(
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

racshot65

Hi,
First post long time browser. This was unexpeceted :shock: :shock: . Was he the one who caused a crash at the start of a GP last year and not allowed to finish the season?

FLC
FLC

No, that was Yuji Ide in the San-Marino GP, who then got his super-license suspended.

Dukeage

If he gets enough seat time, Marko Asmer would be a definate possible for any mid to rear team. He's got the talent, it may be a bit of a step up from British F3 but Kimi went from Formula Renault. Marko would be an unknown quantity for the other teams and he could get a fair bit of sponsorship being the first Estonian driver in F1.

He tested a Williams a few years ago.

PNSD

Dukeage wrote:If he gets enough seat time, Marko Asmer would be a definate possible for any mid to rear team. He's got the talent, it may be a bit of a step up from British F3 but Kimi went from Formula Renault. Marko would be an unknown quantity for the other teams and he could get a fair bit of sponsorship being the first Estonian driver in F1.

He tested a Williams a few years ago.
Indeed. He is quite a good young tallent.