Engine Regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steve Wilson

Engine Regulations

With development stinted on the current F1 engines I got thinking about what would happen if a new engine manufacturer entered the game in 2008 (however likely that might be to happen). What exactly would happen, as theoretically a company like Cosworth who has already produced many F1 engines may get a significant advantage as they could have been developing an engine for all of this year when other companies can't. Surely this would be unfair on all the other teams but I can't see any other way of doing it? It will be interesting to see if this ever happens in 2008/2009.

Giblet

I don't see any real advantage for a team or engine manufacturer to bother, giving all the development needed just to be "competetively homogenated", when the best engines are already for sale in F1.

Since 3 of the teams are often, if not always, going faster then the factory cars with the 'same' engine, there is little or no reason to start freshish.

In a couple of years another manufacturer may enter such as Audi, then they will likely build their own engines, or buy a company like Cozzy and use their facilities to make Audi branded engines.

A company like Prodrive may rebrand a Mercedes powerplant for sponsorship reasons, like Petronas did with Ferarri engines before the BMW lovefest commenced.

Cyco

Giblet, Audi already owns Cosworth, or atleast part of them

modbaraban

VW/AUDI stated countless times that they don't want to enter F1. As well as Porsche.

The manufacturer most likely to enter F1 is Hyundai :roll:
Last edited by modbaraban on 16 Aug 2007, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

scarbs

Audi do not own Cosworth Racing, which is the part that built the f1 race engines. Instead its owned by by the champcar organisers (IIRC kevin Kalkoven)

zac510

This is confusing as Cosworth was split up into two companies called Cosworth Racing (f1, etc) and Cosworth Technology and sold to two different parties several years back. VW once owned the latter so in a sense you're both correct :)

Belatti

I think that teams with money are still developing F1 engines, no matter they are not using them... if later, the rules allow to move a step up, those will have some advantage...

It´s easier to do that than cutting off a 200M proyect from day to night...

maybe I´m wrong but that´s what I think
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna