Williams 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FLC
FLC

Williams 2008

I don't know why, but nobody has mentioned this so far.
Every other F1 site this week has reported that Williams are planning something big for 2008. They say the FW-30 is going to be an all-new car, a revolution instead of evolution. They are expecting to become the 3rd team in F1, winning races regulary. In fact, Sam Michael admitted that they are going to focus on their 2008 car only from now on, as Monza was the last update to the FW-29.
Some sites reported that Nico agreed to stay at Williams after seeing some impressive drawings, Although I doubt it. I believe the new approach and spirit would made him think more than a couple of drawings.

So what do you think? Is Williams really on its way back to the top or is it going to be another case of cold disappointment? How can they tell already how they will be doing next season with all the new regulations, especially when they are planning an all-new car? How would you even define a revolution in terms of designing a car?
I never really followed Williams closely, but I don't remember this kind of statements from them in recent years. Now they are talking about becoming the third force in F1, pretty early, and when BMW has already proven that they are better candidates.

The report on autosport.com

mahesh248

M sure they can , coz they have done it in the past and they can do it now also ... m sure they will be quick in the future , would love to see their new car for 2008

checkered

Re: Williams 2008

FLC wrote:I don't know why, but nobody has mentioned this so far.
Every other F1 site this week has reported that Williams are planning something big for 2008. They say the FW-30 is going to be an all-new car, a revolution instead of evolution. ...

Some sites reported that Nico agreed to stay at Williams after seeing some impressive drawings, Although I doubt it. I believe the new approach and spirit would made him think more than a couple of drawings.

So what do you think? Is Williams really on its way back to the top or is it going to be another case of cold disappointment? How can they tell already how they will be doing next season with all the new regulations, especially when they are planning an all-new car? How would you even define a revolution in terms of designing a car? ...
I thought about starting a thread about this, too, but just couldn't think of a solid enough argument to start it with. It's pretty hard to form an opinion while there's of course nothing else really to go on but the statements. I'm as much a fan of Williams as I can be a fan of any team (fandom doesn't exactly befit me) and I do hope their comments are valid.

Williams has a recent history of doing their own thing - like the tusks, even if that didn't work out. It's perfectly possible they've realised something about the 2008 season and the loss of traction control that warrants a real change in design philosophy. They've seen a couple of teams run the standardized ECU and perhaps they've reason to believe that they're faster. Much faster. Only it's hard to imagine that they'd be as self assured about it as to give other teams a heads-up about the situation. (And the standard ECU has been criticized by several teams recently.) Frank has also been cryptic about their Toyota customer status, but I've seen nothing to suggest it wouldn't continue.

Nico, I think, is one of the most technologically savvy current F1 drivers out there. He was accepted to study at Imperial College (I guess he could pick it up once he bows out of F1 as a driver) and the range of languages he knows ... eh, speaks for itself of his determination to be in F1: German, English, French, Italian. I can't remember hearing him talk upbeat bull**** about his team's chances.

In the end, if I believed F1 couldn't be improved, I wouldn't be interested anymore, so at least they're pulling the right strings to get my attention!

pnagy

Perhaps Toyota are ging to be a Williams customer team and that Williams are going to use Toyota money and resources to get back to the top :lol:

Saribro

If there's one thing about F1-cars that's easy, it's getting something wrong :), and revolution isn't always for the better either (see RA107).
I'm always interested in new ideas, but whether they work... (let alone be judged from drawings...).
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

mrk189

I think it is just a sponsor attracting gimic.

Williams are no where near the team they used to be. Their resources are depleted and the years when they were tasting some success with BMW are long gone let alone the glory years of the 90s.

Williams need a new engine partner like VW, Citroen or Audi (not sure if they are all under the same ownership). Only then in my opinion will they be able to challenge for podiums and eventually wins again.

I have always been and will always be a supporter of Williams over any other team in F1 but when you see the reality of the situation, I doubt that there is anything in what is being said about this new revolution.

We get the hype every other year that this will be the year they bounce back etc etc. I wouldn't get too carried away.

(sry for bein so pessimistic :P)
You don't need a licence to drive a sandwich

mx_tifoso

mrk189 wrote:IWilliams need a new engine partner like VW, Citroen or Audi (not sure if they are all under the same ownership). Only then in my opinion will they be able to challenge for podiums and eventually wins again.
Before anything else, welcome to THE Forum mrk189,

But I have a question, or two.

How exactly would an engine partnership with VW, Citroen, or Audi, be more beneficial to Williams then their current Toyota supplier :?:
How do you come to that specific conclusion?

And if in fact these "upbeat" statements by Williams are simply to attract future sponsors or to give a positive reflection of team, why is it bad? Being pessimistic will definately not get them anywhere but further back down the grid.

If they work hard enough to surpass rivals with higher standings, then they deserve it. And with two very talented drivers any improvement to their car will bear even greater results.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Rob W

It's very unlike Williams to talk up their game like this - even just imply it as they've done here. I very much doubt Sam Michael would be coming out with his statements without Frank's blessings - so they're either on a really positive development path or they're completely deluded.

I would be so happy to see Williams back at the top and winning races.

As much as it's possible to bungle a design and be way off the mark (and slow) there are still opportunities for a revolutionary idea to give a team a significant performance leap. Perhaps Williams have one of these ideas up their sleeve.

Rob W

Carlos

My intuition insists their new direction will be a suspension development.

enkidu

I remember Honda saying this at the beginning of this season. Now look how well they have done :lol:

I'm sorry but you can only tell who's got a good car and whos got a bad one at the first race next year.

mrk189

Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm not entirely sure of what their arrangement with Toyota is at the moment but I'm sure that Williams have to pay for their engines unlike a situation of having an engine partner. It is always more beneficial to have a partner rather than a supplier. This has been proven throughout the years.

There is nothing wrong in trying to attract sponsors. Actually there isn't a wiser thing a team like Williams can do. What I'm saying is that they build up alot of hype about their new car, developments etc etc every so often, but in the last 3 years it has never resulted in much progress.

I really really hope that they are for real this time and that there is actually a real improvement and that the car will be running at the front of the grid but at the moment I remain abit sceptical about it.

pnagy

Like Carlos said its in the supension. With the new rules banning TC the teams who come up the the best suspension tricks will have the advantage, but with their budget and resources the best I can see them getting is 4th in the championship

mrk189

Well Williams have quite a history with suspensions so heres hoping...

Rob W

Carlos wrote:My intuition insists their new direction will be a suspension development.
Yeah. I was thinking about that today. You're not allowed reactive-type suspension... but what about ones which alter to a set known acceleration bracket? Would this still be against the rules? Is there any work-around?

(Such as softening up of the rear end when the car was in 1st-3rd gears)

Rob W

joseff

Narain Karthikeyan speaking on Spyker's future, mentions Williams:
Karthikeyan might see an opportunity to become a Williams F1 race driver. He revealed: "I am in talks with the Williams to find out the nature of my job for the next season. The chances are bright at the team since one of the drivers is struggling to rope in necessary sponsors. But, I have kept my options open and am looking for a better choice."
Who is he talking about? Alex Wurz? Kazuki Nakajima? And speaking of sponsors, didn't his dear Tata bail out of Williams sponsorship earlier this year?