McLaren looses all points

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pompelmo
pompelmo

McLaren looses all points

The dessision has been made..five minutes ago Mclarer got a 100million euro fine and loss of all championship poits..the drivers keep all the points...
for me is the most fair dessision of the FIA, for the scandal!

naknak_56

I agree would have been a shame to ruin the drivers championship.

Would like to see the evidence that changed the FIA's collective minds, although im sure this will come out in good time.
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

midzt
midzt

Just wondering, what are the FIA going to do with the $100million. And how are they to prove if ideas for the MP4-23 are from the F1-2007 'secrets' they held, or just observing and devloping their own tech, if the F1-2007 data really still applies for next year. I mean, McMerc aren't exactly going to build a Ferrari next year that was arguably slower than their current car.

Scuderia_Russ

midzt wrote: McMerc aren't exactly going to build a Ferrari next year that was arguably slower than their current car.
Of course not, I'm sure even you really know that's a bit of a silly exaggeration of the situation. How the officials will decide how much of the McLaren was devised by Ferrari I don't know. Although I am a fan of Ferrari, I am first and foremost a fan of Formula One. I have the greatest respect for Ron Dennis. What he has personally achieved is in my opinion phenomenal... and although I do not agree with the selling of information in the fasion that has occured, let me just say that every team throughout every discipline and category operates outside of the rules in some way or another or ...for want of a better word cheats. EVERY TEAM!!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Tom

Russ, my respect for you has gone through the roof, this is the fairest opinion I've seen so far. Thanks.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Saribro
Saribro

Scuderia_Russ wrote:every team cheats.
So nobody should get punished for breaking the rules because everyone does it anyway? ...
If every team cheats, that just means security measures need to be improved, rulebreakers need to be consistently punished and the quality and amount of checks needs to be increased.

Crabbia
Crabbia

Saribro wrote:
So nobody should get punished for breaking the rules because everyone does it anyway? ...
If every team cheats, that just means security measures need to be improved, rulebreakers need to be consistently punished and the quality and amount of checks needs to be increased.
One thing we all know is that the FIA cant keep up with the teams developments, not in slowing down the cars in a exciting and beneficial way, not even in tracking the changes to the cars. the FIA is just wholly ineffectual when it comes to that. You want the FIA to INCREASE checks and security measures...? you have more chance of max mosley taking early retirement, and ernie, well ernie just taking retirement...
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

You know, the best way for any team to protect it's secrets and intellectual property is to safeguard it themselves. If you're sloppy on security, then ... tough.

Venom
Venom

How stupid.

FIA said McLaren cheated, but still allows them to race this car, BUT makes points about future 2008 car.

So, FIA penalised a team for cheating, and still allows them to cheat after 100mil?

Go to hell Mosley!
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

DaveKillens wrote:You know, the best way for any team to protect it's secrets and intellectual property is to safeguard it themselves. If you're sloppy on security, then ... tough.
In any team or group there has to be trust between all participants, if there is no trust there is no point to being together and working as a whole. That applies to pretty much every case possible. And in this case, it backfired, unfortunetly. And now because of one man so many people across this planet are now being affected on different levels. The fault isn't lying solely on him either, it is just that he was the first one to take action at the beginning of this ordeal.

A few months ago I had a saying in the signature that said, "Maldito el hombre que confia en el hombre", which to English it translates to "Damned be the man who trusts another man". Please correct me if it is not 100% accurate, but I believe my translation gets the point across.

Poor McLaren, they were doing a great job at beating Ferrari fair and "round" this season.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Scuderia_Russ

Saribro wrote:
What I said is that every team, from Formula Ford to Touring Cars to Formula 1, will be breaking the rules in one form or other but they just do not get caught... but not every team has documents relating to their chief rivals car.
-Henry Ford-

Scuderia_Russ

Venom wrote:
FIA said McLaren cheated, but still allows them to race this car, BUT makes points about future 2008 car.
What would the effect have been if McLaren weren,t allowed to race? Think about it for a minute if it won't hurt too much. Think of the hundreds of jobs that would be lost, race team, test team, truckies, composites, designers, engineers, suppliers etc. Stopping them from racing would have been stupid. As things stand hey have been punished for breaking the rules and hundreds of people still keep their jobs. Ultimately it is Mike Coughlans fault that they were put at risk in the first place!!
-Henry Ford-

RH1300S
RH1300S

Twists and turns................and politics

Does anyone recall that the FIA went to a great deal of trouble to say that any driver that came forward would have immunity?

They were planning ahead.

They knew that they were going to stamp on McLaren.

They knew Ferrari wouldn't shut up if McLaren went un-punished - and would drag F1 further and further into the mire.

They knew they couldn't possibly stop McLaren racing or all hell would break loose.

They knew that docking McLaren points SHOULD mean the drivers too.

They knew that this wouldn't wash with the public.

By giving the drivers a promise of immunity the FIA gave themselves a BIG get out of jail card which they can use to answer any cries of double standards between the team's treatment and the drivers. Without having to out up any kind of complex argument in defending that position.

Neat and simple (and clever)

A pre-planned stich-up is my humble opinion................

Scuderia_Russ

In short, McLaren cheated, they got caught and given a slap on the wrist, stating they would help in settling the matter they chose to blatently mislead the governing body about making use of the information, hence the stiff penalty.
-Henry Ford-

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

I still can't understand why Stepney provided these documents to Coughlin. What was in it for him? OK he's seen McLaren get their points taken away which is good for Ferrari, but he's not exactly at Ferrari anymore and he's also being investigated by the Italian police, I just don't get it...

I think it's hard for us to comment on the punishment when we don't know all of the facts, but I am very happy that the team is allowed to carry on racing and that the 2 drivers can still battle it out for the championship.