McLaren looses all points

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rob W

Steve Wilson wrote:I still can't understand why Stepney provided these documents to Coughlin. What was in it for him?.
Pretty simple. Stepney and Coulghan were planning to team up and move to another team. They even had a meeting with Nick Fry from Honda together. The info would have been given by Stepney to Coulghan for safe-keeping I imagine, or as a show of goodwill/commitment to the plan.

Rob W

Spencifer_Murphy

I'm shocked and unhappy about the decision. That said I don't think I'd be happy whatever the decision was. The problem is that if somebody breaks the rules they should be penalised, however espionage is something that has gone on in F1 before, and will continue to go on...so why is it only this case that gets public limelight? And why is it only this case where a punishment has actually been handed out.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40654

The link above shows Jackie Stewarts comments on the matter. I have refrained thus far of accusing the FIA of being biased towards Ferrari (A little bit of me thinks that because of the severity of the punishment, not the fact that they have been punished)

The reason I'll hold my tongue - for now (lol!) - is that the serverity of this punishment is so draconian, and so unprecidented that the surely MUST be something much more to this than we are aware of atm. I'll wait till the FIA publishes it findings.

If Mclaren are simply guilty of spying and being in possesion of Ferrari documents, then this punishment is totally out of proportion and damned right biased to Ferrari (as other teams have spied, been caught spying, and not fined to this degree) REGARDLESS of who gave who, or who got what and how. There must be more to this than meets the eye.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

bar555
bar555

It seems that the only "Mc Laren" that can earn points in 2008 will be Prodrive. Pity...... . Let 's hope FIA will decide again about 2008 Mc Laren 's exclusion . Too unfair ....

rei

its unfair, who is wrong here? ferrari who can't keep their documents in safe place and blame other teams, or mclaren who got those documents accidentally... I believe mclaren don't intended to do so... they can win without ferrari documents... and MP4/22 is absolutely faster than F2007... why mclaren would do so...

modbaraban
modbaraban

@above :lol:

It would be hard to accidentally learn the documents and run some simulations on them 8)

naknak_56

Yep De la Rosa was referring to his lunch menu after the simulation and the gas that was tested was for the balloons for the after launch party, absolutely nothing to do with weight distribution and tyres :D
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

Rob W

Right at the end of the WMC/FIA statement it says this:
9.4 In addition, in the interest of ensuring that McLaren is not unfairly advantaged as against any of its competitors in the 2008 Championship, the WMSC instructs the FIA technical department to conduct an investigation of McLaren's preparatory work on its 2008 car with a view to determining whether that car incorporates any Ferrari confidential information and report back before the WMSC meeting of December 2007.....
WOW! This is pretty ambiguous. FIA have done the right thing by adding this but I do think it could cause an unfair technical disadvantage to McLaren. A natural progression of technical developments could easily lead to McLaren finding a 'solution' which is then deemed to have come from Ferrari - because they came up with it too (and BMW, and Renault etc..).

How can you disprove something like this? It's pretty much impossible.

Rob W

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

Yep, we all know that teams have spies who look at the other teams cars at any opportunity. Information gets passed on from team to team in so many different ways. McLaren are going to have to study the Ferrari documents closely (assuming they still have access to them?) to make sure that nothing they design comes close to anything Ferrari.

rei

Steve Wilson wrote:Yep, we all know that teams have spies who look at the other teams cars at any opportunity. Information gets passed on from team to team in so many different ways. McLaren are going to have to study the Ferrari documents closely (assuming they still have access to them?) to make sure that nothing they design comes close to anything Ferrari.
im sure they are not stupid, they should still have the copy, if they really want to analyze ferrari documents to make better car than F2007, and make sure the design is not close to ferrari's design, or maybe its better the copy and distribute the documents to another 20 teams, so they can have advantage to beat ferrari.... well this happen because ferrari faults.... why not...