HUD Helmets

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FLC
FLC

HUD Helmets

A few days ago I read an article in a local magazine about F1 drivers equipment and it mentioned the HUD helmets that a few teams were experimenting with.
I tried to search for some info. on the net, but with no luck. Does anyone know what happened to that idea? Was it ever used? Abandoned? Why doesn't the FIA show interest in sake of safety?

Crabbia
Crabbia

i heard rumours of that in 2000, but i think ultimately it'll be up to driver preference, as i'm sure its possible, although the anlges might be a bit tight to do it the way its been done in the m5 and m6.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

m3_lover

I think BMW were the team experimenting with that, I think I remember the drivers were saying it was hard to see and distracting, but I can not remember too much of it
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

dumrick
dumrick

Well, I remember Lotus having a HUD system tested around 1993. As far as I recall, the drivers never raced with it. One of the reasons I remember is that the extra weight on the helmet x G-forces resulted in a higher strain of drivers' necks.

Rob W

I think Ferrari tested a HUD-type in-helmet system in about 2001/2002 if I remember rightly. I think it was going to have the rev-lights in it so the drivers could see them in their peripheral vision. They weren't introduced though.

Rob W

scarbs
scarbs

The German manufacturer Schuberth tried a system several times with Ralf while at Williams BMW.

check.....

http://www.Shuberth.de

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... &id=338650

FLC
FLC

thanks!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

This is what I found when I searched for the HUD helmet design.
What they discuss in the forum is from '03, but it still provides decent "discussion" about the design and the reason why it is not present in F1 anymore.

:arrow: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22867

It seems to be an interesting design none the less, but wouldn't it be too distracting for the drivers? With it being right in their face pretty much.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

FLC
FLC

I've bumped into that discussion in my search also, but didn't find any useful details in it, tech wise. I still can't really understand what the drivers could actually see when using it, except from the picture scarbs put on.
I also think it's a very interesting solution. If they could optimize the size, place, colors and all other characteristics of the display, maybe even to each driver, it will be only a matter of getting used to it. But I guess it's down to the drivers to decide how available they are to look down, and/or suffer the occasional loss of radio communication.

ss_collins
ss_collins

Expect to see williams trialling one in the medium term - QinetiQ are activley working on one

FLC
FLC

Thanks for the info.