Driver moves for 2008, in light of the McLaren saga.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
axle

Driver moves for 2008, in light of the McLaren saga.

Hi All,

Just a supposition, if Alonso jumps ship due to A) being exposed as a cheat, B) not getting his own way at McLaren (which led to Ron whistle blowing).

Where do you think he'll go and who would replace him?

My initial thought is that he'll go to Renault, they are *home* at the end of the day...or that Toyota will step in with a blank cheque...those 2 scenarios seem fairly obvious for me.
But I've a less obvious choice for his replacement....Button.
Odd I know but hear me out, Nico Rosberg is the man most would elevate to the seat, but lets face it, Ron doesn't want to be nicking drivers off of FW as he probably needs him as an allie atm. So say that NR is unavailable, who is best placed to drive for them and deliver the goods if given the right car and most importantly will probably adapt to next years rule changes best....IMO Button COULD, but it's a big could. Another option would be Piquet, Renault swap him for Alonso...

What do you guys think? lol do you care!?? :p
- Axle

Fan Solo

This crossed my mind too.

Id like to see a bizarre set of circumstances combining to put AD in a Pro Drive race seat.

DLR has to be worried about his job & Alonso wont be short of an offer or two elsewhere.

Who knows who would come in to replace FA if he goes tho.
MMIAFN

modbaraban

Fan Solo wrote:Id like to see a bizarre set of circumstances combining to put AD in a Pro Drive race seat.
I second that :D

mini696

I would love to see Button in the McLaren. I cant see Alonso being in the team after this year and PDLR will most likely be outed too.

Another person (which wont happen) is Mark Webber, that'd be cool.

What about DC?

Or the mighty Mika?

I can only dream... It'll most likely be someone I dont give a s--t about like Piquet or something. So once again my favourite team has drivers I dont have any passion about.

ketanpaul

I think if Alonso wins this year's championship, he'll either retire or go to Renault. About Button, if he really tries, i see no reason why he cannot get a McLaren seat. Rosberg will definetley stay at Williams. AD will stay at SA alongwith Sato. and Narain will probably come alongwith Sutil in spyker.

I really want Button to try his ass off for a seat in McLaren coz I have a strong feeling that Ron will take him.

astsmtl

McLaren also have another test pilot - Gary Paffett. AFAIK he works mainly on simulator, but in case of FA departure there is a great opportunity for him to take the seat. And don't forget about Giedo van der Garde!

Ciro Pabón

Alonso must be crazy to leave McLaren. The only teams there are Ferrari and ... what else? If I were in his position I wouldn't want to become the next Jacques Villeneuve.
Ciro

m3_lover

Even his manager admits now that Alonso is staying with Mclaren next year.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

modbaraban

What about the blackmailing issue? I can't see Alonso staying with McLaren after that.

Scuderia_Russ

I would love to see Alonso go to Toyota and take Schumachers seat. As much as I would love to see Button at McLaren I don't think it would happen.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

NickT

Lets put ourselves in Ron and his share holders position for a while on this one:

He may indeed have an extremely strained relationship with Fernando at the moment, but does he really want him anywhere else where he can take points off McLaren next year?

Renault had a poor start to the season, but have proven that they can produce a championship winning car twice. Would Ron really want Fernando taking all that he has learnt at McLaren this year to a hungry and lets face it if they get Fernando back a rejuvenated team?

In my opinion Ron and his share holders will want to retain Alonso and his services. If that proves impossible because of their relationship then their next goal would be to pay Alonso the money but give him gardening leave for a year.

Whatever happens next year it is going to be very interesting on the driver front as their work load is going to increase substantially and the playing field will level out a little with the removal of traction control. Then we will really see who the best drivers are, especially if it rains. Now all we have to do is substantially lower the dependence on aero to really make things interesting.
NickT

Spencifer_Murphy

Alonso to toyota would be the best spent money Toyota ever spent. FA can actually develop a car, and race it quickly. A feat both of their current drivers are struggling to do. Mostly as Jarno is too emotionally driven, and Ralf's rare turn of pace is a flash in the pan. Ralf can't develop a car because frankly, he doesn't care much for F1.

If Alonso was to vacate his seat at Mclaren then Button would be a wise choice for both parties:

For Mclaren because:
1. after these years at Honda he has surely gained a serious hubger to win.
2. after years of poor results blaming the car - he simply cannot afford not to drive the arse of an MP4-23.

For Button because:
1. He needs a good car, he's not a young gun anymore, its about time he FINALLY made a decent career move.
2. There's a saying that driving crap cars for long enough can blunt your edge. JB's running out of time if he wants to stay sharp.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.