New President of the Formula 1 governing body.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tom

New President of the Formula 1 governing body.

I propose that Mr Max Mosley is no longer to be considered a fair and unbiased governer of our sport and I would like to suggest the he is replaced, with immediate effect, by someone who meets all the qualities required of a man in his position.

For this role I suggest Sir Jackie Stewart would be perfectly suited. Sir Stewart has a knowledge of the sport from various angles, as a driver, team owner and business man, his knowledge and experience of the sport is unsurpased, he hold driver and spectator safety in the highest regard and he has the appreciation of almost every team owner, driver, spectator and sponsor, and everyone else related to the sport.

Mr Mosley's term is not due to expire until October 2009 (when his proposed successor will be none other than Jean Todd, currently Chief Executive Officer of the Scuderia Ferrari team) but, like many fans of true Formula 1, I believe the sport will not prosper to its full potential during this time.

The question remains, how do we go about achieving this?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

naknak_56

Jackie Stewart are we talking about the same person???
The guy was great in his time but less face it hes a senile old fool who hankers after days past where man were men and women were boys and dogs were cats. Possibly the most biased person ive ever had the displeasure to listen to an interview by!!

Great idea go from one loony president to another.
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

joseff

While I wouldn't agree with "senile" and "fool", I do think JYS is quite a bit for the FIA. I'd nominate Paul Stoddart instead.

rei

hehe i'll nominate paul stoddart too...

FLC
FLC

joseff wrote:I'd nominate Paul Stoddart instead.
The schizophrenic who said that if he was still in F1 most of the rule changes wouldn't happen? The same one who gave up in Australia 2005? Who thinks that Mateschitz was brought in only to get him out? That will be a real change!

Ciro Pabón

As we've discussed many times, what FIA lacks is not a president but democracy and accountability.

This thread reminds me a little of colombian democracy: as it is weak, some people suggest their own "Superman" that will come to save us, while other people explains "where the kryptonite lays".

When organizations mature, they stop to try to find a "saviour" with a "mandate" and start to look for rules that promote constructive behaviours of the people.

If FIA or anyone wishes to have a president with a program, who represents somebody openly, then they have to hold direct elections for all positions and, of course, promote membership to have many direct voters. It's like any other organization since Pericles.

The alternative is what we have now: direct voters elect a general council and then the council elect directives between them.

It was Aristotle who call that an oligarchy, not me. Of course, Aristotle believed that to be the most perfect form of government... :)
Ciro

ss_collins
ss_collins

For this role I suggest Sir Jackie Stewart
are you barmy!!! look at the BRDC mess!

David Richards, the head of CAMS (not sure of his name), richard woods?, someone like that, charlie whiting, peter wright

Steven
Owner

Sorry, but Charlie Whiting will not be accepted very much as an improvement by fans who follow F1 a bit.

Quite simply I support Flavio Briatore for the job. The man has proven he has authority, can turn things around and knows how to deal with large businesses, company relationships and so on. For me it would be a great relief and immense improvement for Formula One if Flavio would take over. He is moreover known to be quite in agreement with Bernie on the direction where F1 should go to.

naknak_56

Thats the best nominee yet :D
He has some ideas that ive seen attacked but if think about it thats what is needed. F1 has become reasonably stagnant and Bernie and Max have become exactly what they set out to destroy with Jean-Marie Balestre.
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

modbaraban
modbaraban

Tony Purnell or David Richards would do.
Tomba wrote:Quite simply I support Flavio Briatore for the job. The man has proven he has authority, can turn things around and knows how to deal with large businesses, company relationships and so on. For me it would be a great relief and immense improvement for Formula One if Flavio would take over. He is moreover known to be quite in agreement with Bernie on the direction where F1 should go to.
No no no no no.... then we'd have race divided into 2 sprints, with reversed starting order and other sorts of artificial 'entertaining' stuff :roll:

I see Briatore in the position of... or even I dare say as a successor of Bernie!

Ciro Pabón

modbaraban wrote:I see Briatore in the position of... or even I dare say as a successor of Bernie!
Yes, he can be the richest promoter in line. Or the producer, for the yankees.

As for Mosley, then we need another lawyer. Perhaps Maestretti... :) (this is Ferrari's one).
Ciro

modbaraban
modbaraban

Ciro Pabón wrote:As for Mosley, then we need another lawyer. Perhaps Maestretti... :) (this is Ferrari's one).
Who knows...

PS: Maybe mr. Sauber :?
Last edited by modbaraban on 16 Sep 2007, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

Scuderia_Russ

joseff wrote:I'd nominate Paul Stoddart instead.
I have it on very good authority that the guy is a complete clown.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

checkered

Quite simply

the FIA president is responsible for much more than F1 alone. It's not even motorsports specific, there's much, much more to that job. I sometimes wonder whether it'd be a blessing if the next president was wholeheartedly supportive of, but not so involved in F1 as such.

- Road safety and car construction standards
- Environmental protection
- Mobility and touring
- Consumer protection and information
- New car assessment programmes (ncap crash tests)
- Traffic issues
- Customs regulations and documents

Is it really so that these concernes are to be delegated to other operatives of the FIA, while the president directs almost all his attention to F1, who has spied on whom? I'm the first one to advocate the idea that F1 can contribute even to almost all of the above and indeed can even be in a focal position with regard to designer talent and innovation.

But still I wouldn't expect F1 politics to be the deciding factor in the election of the next FIA president. I may be wrong about this as well. If you have a different understanding of the matter, do clarify.

Rob W

Tomba wrote:Quite simply I support Flavio Briatore for the job.
True... the guy with the know-how, commercial flare and eye for the future.

I don't think Stoddard wouldn't be the right guy at all. He has the 'poor me' mentality in his head - spending his F1 career accepting (and admitting) that he couldn't be competitive.

Rob W