New President of the Formula 1 governing body.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Carlos

The F1 corporate structure that manufacturers profit is so well ensconced and efficent I will propose something unheard of but suggested in so many threads on F1Technical- an F1 car designer; yes an engineer. We don't need money managers, inept rule chages or a president obsessed with promoting F1 as a 'Brand' We need someone like Peter Wright - formerly of Lotus. You have probably all read his many articles; including annual technical F1 design summaries. Can you imagine what F1 would be with a F1 car designer as President. Yes Peter Wright.

We'll see it happen when they start serving ice cream cones ice in Hell.

NickT

Tom wrote:Mr Mosley's term is not due to expire until October 2009 (when his proposed successor will be none other than Jean Todd, currently Chief Executive Officer of the Scuderia Ferrari team) but, like many fans of true Formula 1, I believe the sport will not prosper to its full potential during this time.
If this happens you can guarantee that the only away we would ever get a fair, responsible, consistent and unbiased governing body would be if someone Nuked the entire FIA during the next AGM
Carlos wrote:The F1 corporate structure that manufacturers profit is so well ensconced and efficient I will propose something unheard of but suggested in so many threads on F1Technical- an F1 car designer; yes an engineer. We don't need money managers, inept rule changes or a president obsessed with promoting F1 as a 'Brand' We need someone like Peter Wright - formerly of Lotus. You have probably all read his many articles; including annual technical F1 design summaries. Can you imagine what F1 would be with a F1 car designer as President. Yes Peter Wright.
Now we are heading in the correct (yes I did think about using "right") direction, how about Gordon Murry?
NickT

Belatti

I totally agree with Ciro´s post.

And want to add that always, the leaders/presidents will be questioned and marked as biased by some and defended by others... whoever fit that role I think it´s going to suck as it sucks now, cause that is what money does arround!

JM Fangio abandoned the sport when in Maserati engineers changed his shock absorbers, he asked: why, if they where good?!?!? yes, but these ones pays...

after that it was never the same :oops:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Rob W

Carlos wrote:..I will propose something unheard of but suggested in so many threads on F1Technical- an F1 car designer; yes an engineer.
I could not agree more. Good call. A racing spirit needs to be considered as well as the commercial interests instead of purely commercial interests as is now.

Rob W

whiplash

How about Peter Windsor he has both the engineering background and the management skills required plus he is respected up and down the paddock

Spencifer_Murphy

I'll tell you what we need. We need somebody to handle the political side of it, somebody who can also deal with all the non-motorsport side of dealings the FIA is involved with - road safety etc. But preferably somebody who is still a motorsport fan, with the knowledge and understanding of certain aspects of the sport.

Somebody like, say Peter Windsor, or Alan Henry.

BUT to compliment them, we also need a "Technical Advisor" somebody like Rory Byrne or Gordon Murray, retired yet great designers, who could advise the head of the FIA on technical changes etc. That way we won't end up with an uneducated (in the sence of building an F1 car) fool - like Mosely - fiddling with technical regulations about which he has no understanding, hence leaving us with the dreaded thought of a CDG wing!

Finally we need somebody with true transparancy, what I still hate about the CDG wing are Mosley's supposed CFD simulation drawings showing how great the effect of a CDG wing would be. These drawings clearly show the effect of the wing down the centre line of the car, however we are not shown any drawings from above the car showing the effect of a wing, placed in line with the greatest turbulance causing part of the car (spinning wheels).

This is a blatant case of showing a playing card side on, in order to make the viewer believe it is a solid 3D object. I.e, Max's CDG wing is flawed, so she shows us only half the info (that which promotes his idea) in order o have us believe its a great solution to the "problem" of overtaking.

We need somebody who will show us all the options, and not throw around half-facts in order to justify himself (like the "Ron's $100m is the difference between his budget and other top teams like Williams - when can I ask did Williams become a top team again?!) Max believes that if he states these "half-facts" with enough conviction, they almost become true. A character trademark eeriely reminicent of Balestre. And that there is the problem with a politician being in charge. They all lie!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.