why???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ss.vamsikrishna

why???

Once the lewis was thrown out of track on belgium 2007 f1 .and lewis
was back to track ahead of alonso , how come alonso simply overtook him,is there some rule that you cannot overtake when you are off track.
but it is not fair as he only pushed lewis.

Rob W

On the first corner there is only so much room. Alonso was boxed in by a Ferrari and Hamilton...no way at all to avoid being there (without slamming on the brakes). Hamilton is the one on the outside and chose, instead of ducking in behind, to drive onto the run-off area which is now tarmac instead of gravel.

Alonso summed up the Eau Rouge part like this:
"...he (Hamilton) used the part that's not the circuit, the safety part, to continue flat out and end up side by side with me. .... From there I thought sooner or later he would let me pass. I thought he was going to lift before Eau Rouge and that's why I kept going flat out. I didn't have to do anything. It's just physics and logic. If you are doing Eau Rouge round the outside you have to lift the throttle."
Rob W

modbaraban

Rob W wrote:...to drive onto the run-off area which is now tarmac instead of gravel.
...instead of the wall I'd say. La source was completely remade.

whiplash

Alonso sumed it up perfectly there .

ss.vamsikrishna

but still it is not clear why did once lewis go ahead let alonso overtake him so easily , he could have blocked his line right. sorry but that move just baffled me :?: :roll:

Rob W

ss.vamsikrishna wrote:but still it is not clear why did once lewis go ahead let alonso overtake him so easily , he could have blocked his line right. sorry but that move just baffled me :?: :roll:
When was Hamilton clear ahead?.. Never. He may have been partially ahead Alonso was on the side of the track you need to be on to drive through Eau Rouge - simple. Hamilton could not have driven around him there unless Alonso let him.

Sometimes TV is deceptive.. a driver may appear to have his nose in front but he could be on the wrong side of the track for the corner and so isn't in front when you factor in track position. Alonso was in front in this case.

Rob W

whiplash

If Hamilton had got in front in that manover(Which he never was) he would have had to let fernando back in front as he had gained an advantage by going of circuit if he had not let him back past he would have been given a drive through penalty.

mx_tifoso

whiplash wrote:Alonso sumed it up perfectly there .
True.

Even Kimi has added his 2 cents:
The McLarens were fighting against each other: afterwards I saw it on TV and I think that there wasn`t anything wrong. That was just part of a hard race. It will be like that for the rest of the season.
But since Lewis got the short end of the stick, he wasn't too pleased with the manoeuvre nor the outcome. With how the standings are at the moment, and how hard these drivers are pushing to get the best results at each race and the overall season, we can expect to have battles like this or maybe even tougher and "uglier" for the remaining of the season. Hopefully anyways, wouldn't want there to be a dull finish to an exciting and controversial season.

This is racing, and as far as most of us have seen it, it was fair play. And it wasn't the first, nor the last time a situation like that will occur.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

persovik

modbaraban wrote:
Rob W wrote:...to drive onto the run-off area which is now tarmac instead of gravel.
...instead of the wall I'd say. La source was completely remade.
Actually, the only change is that it used to be a wide expanse of tarmac that is now interrupted by some curbs and green paint.
"Rules are for the interpretation of wise men, and the obedience of fools." -Colin Chapman-
"Trying is the first step towards failure." -Homer Simpson-

modbaraban

Wasn't it closed up tight between the walls before?

naknak_56

Yeah I remember them brushing the wall on the exit.
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

Spencifer_Murphy

mx_tifosi wrote: since Lewis got the short end of the stick, he wasn't too pleased with the manoeuvre nor the outcome.
I can understand Lewis' frustration though. Alonso did swipe across him pretty harshly. I think personally that it was a prefectly legitimate manouvre...just. I say just because I think the manouvre by Alonso exiting La Source was a bit borderline, I mean if Alonso moves over to push lewis wide then fine there's no comment to make appart from "He defended his line hard yet fair" But Alonso himself put two wheels off the track and beyond the kerb! A Little excessive IMHO.

Hence why I say I can understand his frustration. But at the end of the day that's racing...Schumi did worse lol.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

naknak_56

Sorry but that gets my goat, why is Michel used as a example of bad driving??

I understand that he made so ill judged moves but i seem to remember Senna nerfing Prost off in championship deciders a few times, also Hill and most other top drivers have made deliberate moves to put people off the track.... So the question now begs why pick on Schumi?

mx_tifoso

naknak_56, Calm down, it was a minor example. Lets not go too far OT, and lets continue focusing on FA and LH. But I'm sure we all know why MS was referenced when it came to ill-judged driving actions. I'm sure the majority of drivers have taken desperate measures during desperate times.

So as most of has have agreed upon, Alonso did nothing out of the ordinary and it was merely a race incident. Agressive, maybe, but still understandable. If Hamilton doesn't like it oh well, maybe he can stop being so choppy during starts and while defending.

Every driver will do something questionable and another will surely complain about it, it's as natural as it gets.

This is Formula 1, the drama never stops.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

naknak_56

Wasn't really getting agro its just something that comes up alot when talking to others in the UK about F1 :evil: