why???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Belatti

naknak_56 wrote:... i seem to remember Senna nerfing Prost off in championship deciders a few times...
Senna had a couple of balls the diameter of a planet for doing that, 1990 Japan GP was a vengance of what "the parrot" Prost and Jean Marie Balestre did to him in 1989.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

naknak_56

Yeah he got screwed by Balestre .. was that the year he said he would do it in an interview after qualifying then denied saying it after the incident? Lol @ drivers selective memories :D
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

Belatti

He said he was not going to give away position. If Prost did´t want to crash, he would have to brake and try to win the race in the remaining 52 laps.

Then Journalists said: "Senna said he was going to crash Prost"

It is not selective memory, it is calling the things by its name.

PD: Please NakNak take off that gigantic non appearing picture :wink:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tom

Schumacher has rarely been an example of bad driving, just bad sportsmanship.

Senna, I know you all love him but you can't honestly deny the move he pulled on Prost was beyond cheating, it was outrageous and horribly dangerous.
And he did admit it was deliberate a year later.

Alonso/Ham; I missed that unfortunetly but we've all seen putting the squeeze on someone through La Source can go very wrong (1998) then again I'm not sure how much the barriers have been moved.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

modbaraban

Tom wrote:I'm not sure how much the barriers have been moved.
Very much.

See the wall on the left
old

new - 2007

I believe the wall was located about where the artificial grass ends and tarmac begins.

Rob W

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:....Alonso did swipe across him pretty harshly. I think personally that it was a prefectly legitimate manouvre...just...

...I think the manouvre by Alonso exiting La Source was a bit borderline.. Alonso himself put two wheels off the track and beyond the kerb! A Little excessive IMHO.
In practically every race this year Hamilton has started by doing a Schumy chop in-front of the adjacent driver on the grid - so he has no ground to complain about anyone in that regard.

At La Source, Alonso was barely able to stay on the track - the video reply shows that he locked up a tiny bit at the corner entrance - perhaps this contributed to him going wide! He also did a tiny move to avoid the back of Massa's car which put him out of place. So he can't be blamed for going a tiny bit wide on cold tires. Likewise, at least four proceeding cars driver as wide as Alonso - so perhaps it's normal-ish under cold tire conditions like that.

Moreso, since Hamilton ran completely off the track, if he'd then passed Alonso he would have 'gained' unfairly or prevented losing a position by going off-track - which would have justified a drive-through penalty. (it's not only cutting the inside of corners - it's leaving the track on either side for advantage)

This is a nothing event which was made bigger because of the media's love for stories of an Alonso/Hamilton war.

Rob W

DaveKillens

naknak_56 wrote:So the question now begs why pick on Schumi?
Well, Michael Schumacher is the most penalized and fined driver in the history of F1.

What happened between Alonso and Hamilton was just racing. Alonso pushed Hamilton wide, and that's all there is to it. Racing happens.

Mikey_s

Sorry to post an outside link to another forum, but modbarons pics are of different parts of the circuit;

The first pic is od Eau Rouge up to Radillon, the second pic is of the new La Source hairpin.

this link shows the old and new sections comparatively;

http://forum.grandprix.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 006257;p=0
Mike

modbaraban

Failed to find better ones.
Mikey_s wrote:Sorry to post an outside link to another forum, but modbarons pics are of different parts of the circuit
LoL I'm not Schoey :wink:

Mikey_s

It's OK Den,

easy mistake to make! I am quite familiar with the circuit having just returned after the GP - and visited for a couple of other race meetings... I just love Spa!!!

I made the point on another thread that TV and camera shots give you no impression at all of the inclines from La Source down to Eau Rouge and thence up to Radillon - I think my car would be down to second gear for the climb out of Eau Rouge!!! it's really steep.

Flicking through my pics from a Ferrari weekend I found a pic taken from the inside of La Source in 2006 (before the modifications) - Hammy would have been taken out (along with Nando I guess) before the track modifications;

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1231/pict0140ny3.jpg

This pic also gives you an impression of the incline down to Eau Rouge from La Source, but like i said before; the camera flattens it out - it looks much steeper in real life!

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6749/pict0152ju9.jpg
Mike

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, Mikey, nice photos.

Just in case someone finds this useful: the best way I know to really understand and "internalize" the slope of a track is riding it... on a bicycle.

Beats anything else, including walking. :)
Ciro