Japanese GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

GP Winner?

Poll ended at 02 Oct 2007, 18:04

Massa
6%
Alonso
17%
Raikkonen
33%
Hamilton
44%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 18

naknak_56

Why was Kubica punished?? I couldnt see anything wrong with his move it was a racing accident, by that token Button should have received the same penalty as his move on Heidfeld was nearly identical.
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

Scuderia_Russ

naknak_56 wrote:Why was Kubica punished?? I couldnt see anything wrong with his move it was a racing accident, by that token Button should have received the same penalty as his move on Heidfeld was nearly identical.
Exactly what I thought. Great to see Kubica Massa battle at the end, and Raikkonen just fearless. IMO whether or not Ferrari were told they had to start on the full wet, starting them on inter's was the most stupidest of decisions I've seen from them in a long time. As for the winner. Wow. Hamilton was faultless and I would go as far as to say that he pulled Alonso's pants down and absoloutely spanked his botty!! Ha-Ha! :lol:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Rob W

Scuderia_Russ wrote:...IMO whether or not Ferrari were told they had to start on the full wet, starting them on inter's was the most stupidest of decisions I've seen from them in a long time.
As far as I was once told, all directions given by the race director are faxed to each team. They would have even required confirmation from each team via radio - each team has direct radio access to the director.

What I want to know is this: if the race had started and suddenly stopped raining - Ferrari would have been on the better tires - do you think they would have been made to come in and put full-wets on to be fair? No, they would have pleaded innocence..

I think Ferrari were taking a gamble - but not on the weather. They were hoping, in the event of a drying track, to be able to blast past everyone and then claim they never got the directions about the tires.

So basically, whichever way you bake it, it was an attempt to gain an unfair advantage knowing that they could plead stupidity or ignorance when it came time for protests by every other team. Essentially an attempted to cheat.

Rob W

checkered

It was difficult

to perceive what the problem about Kubica's move was (aside from colliding with Hamilton), perhaps we'll get to see what happened from different angles yet. Interestingly race control informed Renault that Kovy would have to leave more room than that (or something akin to that) once the SC was about to leave the track once again, i.e overtaking in the first corner was then pretty much out of the question.

Hamilton, though, was superb - and superbly fortunate. More than a hundred points in fifteen races is no accident. Fastest lap in these conditions is no accident and I guess unless McLaren's simulator can accurately portray elongated SC periods and aquaplaning all over the place he demonstrated some true racecraft as well. Tangles with Vettel and Kubica to no ill effect, of those he obviously got out lightly.

I won't say the WDC is a done deal yet, no need to jinx it. And of course now Alonso and Raikkonen truly have nothing whatsoever to lose in this year's championship.

DaveKillens

Wow, thrills and spills galore. What a display by Hamilton this week. He pulls out a last lap qualifying effort to get pole, and basically drove a faultless race. And how about the last lap battles between Kimi ahd Kovalainen, and Massa and Kubica. Great stuff.
The guys at Ferrari deliberately chose to ignore a safety directive by the race director and played dumb on it. I know they are many things, but I don't give them credit for stupidity. The FIA should investigate this direct flaunting of the rules and directives by Ferrari.

Ray

This by far the most ridiculously least entertaining race I've ever seen. This wasn't a test of driver skill, bravery, or anything. It was a test of seeing who could keep it between the ditches the longest. There was way too much water on track, the cars were slipping and sliding everywhere, and it all came down to who was in the least amount of spray. I mean, the acknowledged rainmeister spun for cripes sake. Alonso is the best wet weather driver out there. Kimi did an outstanding job coming all the way back to a podium. But all I've heard was the collective fellating of old great Hamilton. He was the only one who could see well enough to actually race!

The camera view on speed was so obscured by massive amount of water, I couldn't see most of what was really happening. It was a great drive by Lewis, but also by Webber, Vettel, and many others. Yet again, whoever was on pole was the defacto winner. I hope they don't run a race that plagued by crappy weather again. It makes for a horrible broadcast.

mx_tifoso

Massa vs Kubica battle was awesome, I have seen it many times over this morning.

:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZlwYPv1tIE

And it was obvious Raikkonen wasnt going to be able to pass Kovalainen, visibility levels were almost zero.

And poor Alonso, I believe he was crying right after the shunt, thats why he didn't even bother exiting the wrecked car, I know I would have probably cried a little too, considering his WDC chances went down the drain. I feel really bad for him, I really do.

Rain caused freak results, good race none the less.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

modbaraban

Looks like the vodeo was bernied from u-tube already :(

mx_tifoso

modbaraban wrote:Looks like the vodeo was bernied from u-tube already :(
If your'e talking about the video I posted, then, nope. It is still on there as of right now, I hope it stays, its interesting to watch.
-------
edit:OUCH!Image

allan

they havent mentioned if alonso's engine was damaged... if it is, he's gonna lose 10 places next saturday, isnt he?

PNSD

No because he didnt finish the race.

mx_tifoso

PNSD wrote:No because he didnt finish the race.
At China Alonso will have a fresh engine, and Hamilton will have a "used" engine then. Too bad Mercedes reliability is really good now, or else we would be confident Hamilton's engine would go up in smoke next GP.

That would be an exciting twist to the DC wouldn't it! A LH DNF at China, with Brazil being the last race and the DC decider, I know I'm getting carried away a bit too much.....

But Japan brought too many unseen variables into the already complicated F1 equation for this season. Rain is very much like a double-edged sword, it can help you, or it can screw you over!

Congrats Lewis, job well done.

ginsu

Re: Japanese GP

mx_tifosi wrote:
Williams have are running a dual-entry brake duct, could someone please specify what the smaller one on top is possibly for? Are both for the brake system, or do they have seperate purposes? Thnx in advance.
Williams also removed the small additional caliper-cooling duct that normally appears on top of the main duct.
I love to love Senna.

DaveKillens

You know, if you believe Ferrari did not victimize themselves, and instead were the victims of circumstances, it does not look well for the red cars.
Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes, you can't make them and have any chance of success in racing. Let's get out the handy pocket calculator and count how many mistakes were made.
First off the magic, disappearing email from the race director. Everyone else got it, so the transmission was correct. But somewhere in Ferrariland, maybe the IT guy had misplaced a few command strokes. Second, the faulty rain estimate. It never came close to where intermediates were an option, that in itself was a screw-up. Third, Massa having to take four pit stops during the race. The contenders did it in one stop. Someone really screwed up counting the liters, because having to make four stops when all around one or two was sufficient for everyone else.
So even if you truly believe Ferrari innocent of stepping outside of acceptable conduct, the truth is this team is going backwards. They have unreliable cars, and all around, mistakes are being made. It brings me back to the Ferrari I used to know, before Michael Schumacher came aboard and transformed the team into a powerhouse.

allan

i think jappan was an illustration of the whole season for Ferrari....
They made countless mistakes and showed they were left shaken after Michael and Ross's departures... Michael will not come back for sure, but they do need Brawn back ASAP!